It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:23 am

Free Newsletter

Primary school kids in 5Xlarge clothing

Talk about anything and everything, whether it's related to weight loss or not.

Moderator: Moderators

Primary school kids in 5Xlarge clothing

Postby kate_turner2000 » Sun May 06, 2007 11:07 am

kate_turner2000

Postby *KaTe* » Sun May 06, 2007 1:02 pm

Wow thats a sad reality of how it is these days...

I was an overweight child and it was absolutely horrible! I feel so sorry for children, as they dont have the knowledge etc to help themselves. Parents are 100% responsible for what goes in there childs mouth!

My mum didnt keep an eye on me when I was a child, and the amount of crap food I ate is rediculous....

In the local paper here a while ago there was an article about some local schools banning junk food and fast food...but found they were loosing the battle as parents would come at morning tea and lunch time and sneak mcdonalds,kfc etc in to there children!

I am not a parent myself but I do understand how life is becoming busier etc which equals less time to make food etc...but come on, its not that hard to make a sandwich or something like that.

I think it should be compulsary for children and teenagers to learn about nutrition etc in school. And as it said in the article, kids are doing sport, burning 300 cal and then eating 400 cal straight after..defeats the whole purpose. I did sport in school and it didnt do anything, as I was eating way too many calories etc..

On the other hand I believe it is good for the children to have bigger clothes for school, theres nothing worse than having the largest size and seeing fat rolls through your t shirt etc...I had to deal with that at school and its not good. At the end of the day I feel very sorry for the children! :(

End rant!
*KaTe*

Postby electrongirl » Sun May 06, 2007 1:28 pm

my sons school has become extremely focussed on healthy lunches and they give awards to kids who have had a healthy lunch box for the whole week, proud to say my son has won quite a few!!

I am lucky though as he loves his healthy foods.
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby *KaTe* » Sun May 06, 2007 3:21 pm

electrongirl wrote:my sons school has become extremely focussed on healthy lunches and they give awards to kids who have had a healthy lunch box for the whole week, proud to say my son has won quite a few!!

I am lucky though as he loves his healthy foods.

Thats great your sons school does that! I remember when I was a kiddie getting awards at school for anything was great...so for them to be getting them for healthy lunches is awesome. :D
*KaTe*

Postby Sassygirl » Sun May 06, 2007 8:04 pm

The tuck shop at my children's school has been awarded 5 stars for its healthy food options. The do not serve chips or anything that is fried. THe have sushi, wraps, pasta, fish and the kids love it. They have things like Freo Fish Burger (for the dockers), West Coast Wrap. THe kids love it. ALso they have to make everything that they serve in the canteen so they kids get "home make" muffins and things (that is part of the 5 star deal that they were awarded).
2008 - my year to be great!!

Sassygirl

Postby Chelle » Mon May 07, 2007 11:15 pm

My mum is the uniform shop lady at my step brother's school & there are a few big kids there, not that size though. I just don't understand parents who let there child get to that size in the first place.
Chelle

Postby Cherub » Tue May 08, 2007 8:23 am

I was upset by this article too. I think of all the health concerns these children are going to have in a few years (if not already).

I think education and movement for both the parents and the children is needed. Lower priced fresh fruit and vegetables would be an improvement too.

When bulk buy fast food is cheaper than fresh, there is something wrong.
Cherub

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Wed May 09, 2007 5:22 pm

one of the main reasons this generation is tipped to be the first in recorded history to live shorter lives than their parents.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Chelle » Wed May 09, 2007 5:56 pm

It's is sad, I can only be an example to my children so that they never be in that way.
Chelle

Return to Just Chatting