It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:42 am

Free Newsletter

Flu jabs

Talk about anything and everything, whether it's related to weight loss or not.

Moderator: Moderators

Flu jabs

Postby yummymummy » Fri May 18, 2007 1:45 pm

Does anyone here get flu injections? I had my first one yesterday and Ive woke up feeling awful this morning(this also may have something to do witht the fact I went to bed at 2am this morning) Im kinda regreting having it now because Ive got so much planned for the weekend I havent got time to be sick. I was guilted into it by people on my ward because we deal with immunocomprimised patients but in hindsight I never go to work when Im sick Im not THAT loyal to the place Im quite happy to chuch a sickie :oops:
Jody

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w3enhEK/]
[/url]
yummymummy

Postby milkyway » Fri May 18, 2007 1:51 pm

I HATE injections. I don't know why - they don't hurt all that much, but they just freak me out. Same with blood tests etc. I have to get a typhoid vaccination before my trip to India & Nepal (fortunately everything else is up to date) and I'm already freaking about it. So no, I don't get a flu vac. I would consider it if I was at risk, but if I have a choice, no way!
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby milkyway » Fri May 18, 2007 1:52 pm

PS Sorry to hear you're not feeling great after it. I hope you pick up and feel better today so you can enjoy your weekend :)
------------------------
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby Sassygirl » Fri May 18, 2007 1:59 pm

I have heard, don't know how true it is, that some people actually get a cold/flu after they have the injection. As i said, not sure how true that is, but a lot of the elderly that I deal with get the injection. I am considering it.
2008 - my year to be great!!

Sassygirl

Postby milkyway » Fri May 18, 2007 2:02 pm

I always thought the injections did actually give you the flu, and the antibodies at the same time, and some people react differently to others. Some feel like they've got a kind of low level flu while others feel nothing at all. My mum got one recently and it didn't affect her at all.
------------------------
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby kate_turner2000 » Fri May 18, 2007 2:19 pm

yeah ive heard of heaps of people who get the fluy injection and they end up with it. apparently with vaccinations theres some sort of amount of the actual virus in it to help your body become immune to it. thats what ive heard anyway. i dont get the flu injection though. its rare that i get the flu
kate_turner2000

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Fri May 18, 2007 2:57 pm

The flu shot is kinda like saying to your body "here is what the flu looks like - this one's had most of the nasty bits taken out, but this is what it looks like" so I think getting a few minor level symptoms is common. But it won't protect you 100% from 'the' flu because there are so many versions of it. And it won't stop the common cold either.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Chelle » Fri May 18, 2007 3:24 pm

I've never had a flu shot before, but they inject you with the flu so that you are imunned
Chelle

Postby Fairie » Sat May 19, 2007 12:12 am

But it won't protect you 100% from 'the' flu because there are so many versions of it. And it won't stop the common cold either.

That's why I never get one.

Hope your feeling better soon yummymummy
-Fay-

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSDGUdx/]
[/url]
Fairie

Postby Mandie » Sat May 19, 2007 3:19 pm

Flu shots - its a myth that they cause the flu. What happens is, the flu shots are given in autumn - around the time that your every day common cold is starting to spread around the community. The flu is NOT the same as a cold - it is a different virus. Influenza is a serious illness, with some different symptoms to a cold, and can often put people (especially old people) in hospital.

The flu shots protect against some strains of the Influenza virus, about 70% of them. They work it out based on the strains that were common in the flu season in the northen hemisphere, and in previous years. Sometimes, they guess wrong and the flu shot protects against only 50% of the strains. Better than nothing though!

The vaccine is NOT a live vaccine, it's a type called "inactivated". Basically, they take the flu virus in its capsule, and remove the flu DNA. They inject only the empty capsule into you, so there is NO influenza DNA and therefore NO chance that that flu virus can replicate in your body. Your body reacts to the capsule, and develops antibodies against that, so it can fight the real flu if it enters your system. Does that make sense?

If you get some cold symptoms after your flu shot -think about it. When after was it? Often people attribute an ordinary autumn cold to the flu jab, when in fact they got the cold up to 8 weeks after the shot! Think about it... are people at your work sick? Your family? Know anyone with a cold? Is it that unusual that you got it?

It's basically like getting the flu shot and waking up the next day with food poisoning. It wasn't the flu shot that gave it to you, it was the dodgy seafood you had on the same day...

I think I rambled a bit.. I hope that helped some people!

My final word on it - I get the flu shot every year, and I think everyone who works with young children (e.g. in daycare) or sick people (e.g. in hospitals) or old people (e.g. in nursing homes) should get one. You could get the influenza virus and still feel well enough to work, but then pass it on to someone who will get very sick from the same virus. Influenza is also pretty nasty, as I said, and people usually are sick for 1-2 weeks.

That said - its completely your own decision. Just make sure its an informed decision, and not just because the lady down the road tells you that her friends aunty got the flu after getting a flu shot - when its impossible! You should be aware that you might get a sore arm for a couple of days after the shot. If you develop symptoms of anaphylaxis (throat swelling, tongue swelling, difficulty breathing, hives, etc), get to a doctor ASAP - an extreme allergic reaction is very very very rare but can be life threatening. But you can't get the flu from the flu shot!

You might get a cold. You might get a strain of the flu virus not covered by the vaccine (very unlucky!). You might fall off a ladder and break your arm. You might be in a car accident. You might develop appendicitis. None of these are related to the flu jab!
Mandie

Postby kate_turner2000 » Sat May 19, 2007 7:22 pm

i agree mandie. i have never had the flu vaccine and i worked with children but its true about it spreading and so on. the amount of parents who send their children to child care with temps and thick green snotty noses is disgusting. :(
kate_turner2000

Postby yummymummy » Mon May 21, 2007 9:42 am

so does that mean I have to stop blaming everything on my flu shot? runny nose-flu shot, bad day at work-flu shot,cant sleep- flu shot :!:
Actually I felt crummy for a day and was back on track pretty quickly
Jody

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w3enhEK/]
[/url]
yummymummy

Postby garn » Tue May 22, 2007 3:12 pm

just got a work email offering the flu shot to all employees....should i get it?????/

Mini Goal 100
garn

Postby Chelle » Tue May 22, 2007 10:54 pm

I've never had the flu injection before but I rekon that you should get it incase you come down with a nasty virus instead of a runny nose for a few days.
Chelle

Postby bundy-mum » Wed May 30, 2007 12:13 am

My hubby used to get really sick every year with the flu until he started getting the shots (touch wood). He still gets a bit of a sniffle, but not a week in bed. Maybe it's mind over matter ? just as long as it keeps him well and at work. :D
bundy-mum

Next

Return to Just Chatting