It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:22 am

Free Newsletter

Mums & Dads Chat

Talk about anything and everything, whether it's related to weight loss or not.

Moderator: Moderators

Mums & Dads Chat

Postby kate_turner2000 » Mon May 28, 2007 9:43 pm

hello to all the mums and dads :) just wanted to ask a few questions just out of curiosity and perhaps this could be an ongoing thread about our kiddies!
feel free to ask or chat about anything here!!

my questions are:

1. how do/did you deal with toddler tantrums?

2. what are some snack ideas for a toddler?
kate_turner2000

Postby Chelle » Tue May 29, 2007 3:09 pm

1. how do/did you deal with toddler tantrums

I just let my children go they will eventually get over it or I get down to my son's level & talk to him. Braydon use to headbutt the floor or the wall when he was chucking a tantrum, he dosn't do that now. It's just that age, Braydon's still chuck's tantrums not as much as he use to where josh you just have to say I will take his favourite toy off him & he stops straight away.

2. what are some snack ideas for a toddler?

Saltana's, fruit balls (woolworths fruit section), ice cubes with pieces of fruit with a little bit of juice mainly water, fruit sticks, musli bars, dried friut pieces, pickletts, jatts crackers with cheese, yuguart with fruit pieces, spc or golden valley pre cut up fruit ( I go through 4 tins a week between my 2 boys), mini blueberry or strawberry muffins

All i can think of at the moment
Chelle

Postby Lolly » Tue May 29, 2007 11:54 pm

Ignore tantrums Kate, it is giving attention to negative behaviour - let her throw the wally and when she is done and calm, reward her for good behaviour - works a charm and sets them up to look for positive attention.

As for snacks - there are oooodles of things out there, I used to cut up fruit and cheese and raw veges for my kids when they were toddlers and still to this day, the boys like that in their lunches - even Mr 15 thinks it is still cool :lol:
Every day I am getting thinner and thinner.....

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wOMybmc/]
[/url]
Lolly

Postby kate_turner2000 » Wed May 30, 2007 9:05 am

thanks girls for the tips :) i actually went and brought different fruits to try her on yesterday - things i dont usually buy because mick and i dont eat them. i tried her on avocado last night and she didnt like it. will give it to her again today on toast to see if that makes a difference. i also brought her kiwi fruit. she has had it once before and ate it but i dont know if she will take it again as that was when she was little.

thanks for the tips!
kate_turner2000

Postby electrongirl » Wed May 30, 2007 10:03 am

can't help with the tantrums as my son never had one!! Honestly, but he has fragile x, an intellectual disorder which prevents him from understanding the whole manipulation thing.

But I agree that ignoring them works, from watching other kids.

snacks:

fruit, nuts, yogurt, cheese.. pretty much what everyone else has suggested.
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby kate_turner2000 » Wed May 30, 2007 12:17 pm

thanks nikki :) thats the type of foods she eats anyway but i just worry that she gets bored with having the same thing all the time and wanted to add a bit more variety. i think its probably best to just keep her eating the same things and add new things occasionally.
kate_turner2000

Postby Chelle » Wed May 30, 2007 1:42 pm

You will also find to Kate when you send her to pre-school when she is old enough if it supplys food that she will eat thing there that she will not eat at home. Go figure I don't know how that works, but it does. Just keep offering her different types of fruit she may not like it at the moment but 6 to 12 month down the line she will start to eat it. Like braydon hates manderine I keep offering it to him but spits it out yesterday I couldn't get the pips out quicklie enough he loved it.
Chelle

Postby kate_turner2000 » Wed May 30, 2007 2:01 pm

thanks chelle. yeah im going to give her the other half of the avo on toast this afternoon to see if she takes to it then.
kate_turner2000

Postby kate_turner2000 » Thu May 31, 2007 6:34 pm

ok mums and dads

my heidi has decided that when she throws a tantrum that she is going to smack herself across the head or bang her head on the ground. is this normal?!! lol
kate_turner2000

Postby Sassygirl » Thu May 31, 2007 6:37 pm

Kate , my eldest used to head butt the floor - and wouldn't listen to me so I used to take a cushion around with me and when she decided to head but the floor I would throw the cushion on the floor and tell her to head butt that! It worked - when I showed no interest in her head butting the floor - she got tired of doing it. It is a phase Kate and they do grow out of it!!!
2008 - my year to be great!!

Sassygirl

Postby kate_turner2000 » Thu May 31, 2007 6:43 pm

ah cool just checking lol. i try not to pay attention when she does it and luckily its usually just slapping herself across the head not so much the head banging. lol. i never saw this type of behaviour whilst working with babies when i was working and i knew it was some sort of release of frustration from the childs point of view but it makes you wonder why they do it! lol. i dont want to have fingers pointing at me if she gets bruises all over her head :shock:
kate_turner2000

Postby Sassygirl » Thu May 31, 2007 7:01 pm

She did a head butt in Woolies and I pulled out the pillow and gave it to her to do - one lady told me I was a bad mother for doing that - and I said to her if she could stop her go for it - otherwise keep your comments to yourself.
2008 - my year to be great!!

Sassygirl

Postby yummymummy » Thu May 31, 2007 7:51 pm

mmm the joyous commets people say to parents! I had a lady walk up to me once in the shopping centre andd tell me my son was EVIL! I was gobsmaked no idea how to respond to that one....
Jody

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w3enhEK/]
[/url]
yummymummy

Postby kate_turner2000 » Thu May 31, 2007 8:00 pm

i remember when i was taking heidi for her needles when she was about 4 months old and she was crying in the waiting room at the dr's and this old lady was getting the cranks about it and rolling her eyes at me when i was trying to settle her.

its hard enough being a parents sometimes without peoples judgement
kate_turner2000

Postby Chelle » Thu May 31, 2007 11:12 pm

my heidi has decided that when she throws a tantrum that she is going to smack herself across the head or bang her head on the ground. is this normal?!! lol

Braydon done that all the time even worst headbutt the floor, wall even his brother josh & throwing thing acroos the room at the wall. He had a big attitude problem they even picked it up at pre-school & they were trying to get braydon to talk through his anger & to think first before acting some bullshite like that. But since we have moved he has been a totally different person he is that little bit older & has grown out of it.
Chelle

Next

Return to Just Chatting