It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:59 pm

Free Newsletter

Mums & Dads Chat

Talk about anything and everything, whether it's related to weight loss or not.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Sassygirl » Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:12 pm

I was going to say the same thing - get them done at the same time - both my girls got their ears pierced for their fourth birthday. My mother tells me that I got mine done when I was aroung 3months old!
2008 - my year to be great!!

Sassygirl

Postby kate_turner2000 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:46 pm

thanks girls, :) i was 2 years old when i had mine done. i remember it being done- one at a time. yeah its heartbreaking seeing them get needles especially when they have to get two or three in the one sitting. heidi is usually pretty good but gets upset when she has to leave the toys at the doctors :shock: maybe ill take a special toy with her or get her a chocolate freddo or something :)
kate_turner2000

Postby Playboy_bunny » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:56 pm

Definately both at once is definately better than one at a time ;) only half the pain :) Just a question, does heidi want it done or do you want it done? Just thinking if she wants it done she should be a little calmer, if u know what I mean? cos she'll know what she's getting out of it :D (how exciting! :D) I think I was about 7 when I had mine done...from memory it was my grade 1 birthday present
and I cried but I was so wrapped...mum bought me a pair of beetle earrings :D
Image•·.·´¯`·.·•Gracie•·.·´¯`·.·•
Playboy_bunny

Postby kate_turner2000 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:09 pm

no she has no idea :P i want to get it done young so theres no drama with her getting done when she is older.
kate_turner2000

Postby yummymummy » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:34 pm

My girls got them when they were 7 andthey really really wanted them done- I think I was more anxious than they were :oops:
Jody

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w3enhEK/]
[/url]
yummymummy

Postby kate_turner2000 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:35 pm

my mum in law doesnt like girls with their ears pierced especially little ones like heidi lol but i dont care, it likes a tradition in the family i came from :p
kate_turner2000

Postby Playboy_bunny » Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:29 pm

Thats it Kate, you're her mum, so its up to you ;) Thats a good idea though, getting it out of the way now ;) I had my first set done at 7, second at about 9, third at 15, fourth at 15, 5th and 6th at 18, and one single one last year :D hehe I love my earrings...I just wear silver sleepers in them all :D
Image•·.·´¯`·.·•Gracie•·.·´¯`·.·•
Playboy_bunny

Postby kate_turner2000 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:32 pm

LOL im a member of the huggies forum and was basically told that i was doing the wrong thing when i posted a question about ear piercing and i was made out to be a bad mum! lol.

i have bad pms today so ive spent an hour or so in bed reading harry potter whilst heidi has been asleep. a quarter of the way through the book now.
kate_turner2000

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:48 pm

I think I was about 10 when i got mine done - I decided that's what I wanted to do with the $50 my great grandma stuffed into my hand.

This is just my personal opinion, but I would wait until my child made the decision they wanted it. I don't think i really thought about it until that time, but then I made my decision (funny thing is it was my first real adult decision that I DON"T regret!). I then later got an additional 5 ear piercings in my teens which hung abourt (no pun intended) for a few years which was with the intention to prove that smart people could do shocking things too (I was a boundary stretcher). Then I got rid of them when someone asked me if they 'meant anything' and I realised I really was giving the wrong impression about myself.

I just figure 'adorning' oneself is a personal style so I would let my child make the decision to pierce or not to pierce their ears (with one set that is, they'd have to be a bit older to start doing multiples).

But I don't have kids, so I'm not going to tell you what or what not to do.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby kate_turner2000 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:12 pm

LOL @ $50 from your grandma :) arent grannies they greatest!?

i have 4 older sisters and all of us had our ears pierced earlly - its like a tradition in our family. my sisters husband wouldnt let her get my nieces ears done until 'she was old enough to decide whether or not she wanted them done. now she is 8 next month and is scared of it so wont get it done. i want heidis done early enough so she doesnt remember it and if she doesnt like them when she is older she doesnt have to wear earrings. i guess its one of those discussions like circumsisions, some are for it and others against it. i personally would get my son circumsized if i had a son.

have to try and find a beautician who does ear piercing. i think in the 80's when i had it done chemists used to do it but they dont now.
kate_turner2000

Postby Chelle » Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:42 pm

i guess its one of those discussions like circumsisions, some are for it and others against it. i personally would get my son circumsized if i had a son.

Both of my children are circumsized. I know alot of people are againt it these day's. But I did it for health reason's I know of 3 of my friends children who have had to get it done at an older age. Because of infection & one of the kid was 16 who had a grain of sand that caused alot of problem. Plus personally I think it looks better & probly a bit to much info but there father has it done.
Chelle

Postby Chelle » Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:45 pm

Heidi's about 18 months isn't she?? I can't remember
Chelle

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:04 pm

from memory (very scetchy) it doesn't hurt that much, but the "bang" of the piercing gun is really scary because is like 500 times louder that close to your ear. Mind you I was a complete wuss and made my younger sis go first once we had got there :lol:

The only problem with having them done and then taking them out is that the holes are still there and can be visible. All my extra ones I can STILL get earrings into even after about 4 years.

Whatever way you go, I'm sure it's not going to make all that much difference in the big picture. If you don't pierce them she's not going to say "Mum I hate you for not having my ears pierced when I was 2" and if you do, I don't think she'll say "Mum I hate you for getting them pierced". Well, excepting a certain point of her teenage years when she is likely to tell you she hates you for everything - you'll probably get the blame for the whole of life's unfairness, or was that just me? Anyway, point being, she's going to know you love her regardless.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby kate_turner2000 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:44 pm

haha tegan... oh the teenage rebellion is going to be on! i was a shocker in my teens due to the introduction of my step dad.

hey chelle yeah id have my son done if i had a son- or if i ever have a son. i know a lot of people are against it but ive also seen a lot of problems with boys who arent done.

meanwhile..

today heidi took her nappy and pants off- and ran away from me when i went to put them back on and she dived on her dora the explorer lounge but missed it and whacked her head on the corner of the toy box instead- almost scalped herself! ouch!
kate_turner2000

Postby Chelle » Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:42 pm

Poor thing. Has she got a bruise from it.
Chelle

PreviousNext

Return to Just Chatting