It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:50 pm

Free Newsletter

Bad Parenting

Talk about anything and everything, whether it's related to weight loss or not.

Moderator: Moderators

Bad Parenting

Postby Chelle » Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:37 pm

I have friends of mine who have drove up to Queensland to do the whole theme park thing & then fly to cains for a week with there 1 y.o daughter, while they go on the rides together they leave her in the pram on the side. I think that this is wrong & there are lucky that I wasn't on the phone other wise I would of given them an earfull. What if someone had walked up to her stolen her. On the way back they are staying at my house in a weeks time & I don't think I will be able to bit my tounge on this matter when they arrive. What would you do on this situation???? It just pisses me off that they leave her on the side while they are having fun on the rides together, I would never ever leave my child on the side like that without somone I know not in any situation especially at the theme parks.
Chelle

Postby Sassygirl » Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:39 pm

After what occured in Portugal - you'd think people would learn. I could never and have never done that.
2008 - my year to be great!!

Sassygirl

Postby kate_turner2000 » Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:56 pm

i think a holiday like that which involves theme parks are a bit too old for babies. i know i wouldnt bother paying the $60 something to go to each theme park only to go on the rides alone or for mick to go on his own whilst each of us took turns to watch heidi in her pram- i just wouldnt go at all. its not fair on her and its not fair on us. they should ahve taken their daughter to australia zoo instead!

it would be hard to bite your tongue cos id feel like saying something too. im surprised they got away with it.
kate_turner2000

Postby Playboy_bunny » Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:40 pm

Thats so wrong. Some people just dont think... i think I am naturally pretty paranoid, but some ppl just really dont think... the bub could have been taken/abused or worse... hmm I (personally although some may disagree) think you owe it to the bub just to have a word with the parents....I flip out if my 4 year old is 3 meters away from me, and I NEVER let him out of my sight unless he is with someone I trust. I had a friend who was very similar (kind of careless and didnt think) and they went to a bbq at a lake. They had a 2 year old boy, and left him to play ball alone. After a while, they realised he wasnt with the other kids, and they found him drowned in the lake. She was a wreck, but the worst thing is, they now have a daughter who is 3. We were at coles the other day and happened to run into her, without her daughter. I said 'isnt lily with you?' she said 'nah she just likes to run around' well, 5 mins later there was a call over the PA saying that a little girl called Lily was at the front desk crying and looking for mum.... I just think some people are irresponsible.... but yeah, as hard as it may be, I think you should say something to your friend for the sake of that little bub xx
Image•·.·´¯`·.·•Gracie•·.·´¯`·.·•
Playboy_bunny

Postby kate_turner2000 » Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:09 pm

oh my god grace that is horrible! i am the same wtih heidi in that i dont let her out my sight. she is 18 months this week and the ladies at the shop down the road always laugh cos i always hold her hand even if im getting money out my wallet and they say to her 'mummy wont let you go will she' and i say no she is just so quick!
kate_turner2000

Postby Dee » Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:48 pm

Good lord I feel sick just reading this thread.

YES YOU SHOULD SAY SOMETHING!!! The parents may not like it at all, in fact, you may end up in an argument about it, but this is just downright neglect! They are quite frankly lucky that noone called the department of Human Services, or they'd have gotten off the blasted ride to find they had no child.

When are people going to learn that making the choice to have children means making the choice to put your own pleasure second to your child's safety forever more!
[url=http://www.phenforum.com/ticker/]
[/url]
Dee

Postby BubbleButt » Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:14 pm

ooohhhhh don't start me on the bad parenting issue.. I have a stepdaughter who if I had the law on my side, would never ever see her biological mother again with how she treats her. :x

I would definitely not be able to keep my mouth shut, I struggle to keep my mouth shut when I see my hubby's ex, but that's another story.

My stepdaughter is 9 years of age and I still won't let her out of my sight. I won't let her go to a shopping centre toilet on her own or anything; and I'll check inside the cubicle before I let her in. I watch her like a hawk at playgrounds etc also. It's different from when I was a kid and I used to play out in the street with my friends and no parents. It's just not safe enough to do that these days anywhere, except maybe in a country town, but definitely not in the big smoke!

As Dee said, if they had been "caught" by any authorities, they would get done for neglect and possibly have the child taken away from them. They should of waited to have their trip when the child was much older or if they were so desperate to go on all the rides, they should of either left the child home with grandparents or someone and gone on their own or taken someone else with them to watch the child while they had fun! How dare they do that to a child!?!

Sorry, got me in a bad mood today! :twisted:
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
BubbleButt

Postby kate_turner2000 » Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:42 pm

yeah you are right dee in that you dont have children to shove aside and do what ever you want. you have a responsibility and some innocent persons life in you hands.

kate_turner2000

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:56 am

That that behaviour is DEFINITELY not advisable and can have a range of really nasty consequences.

I would talk to the parents if you feel comfortable, and just tell them that hearing that they had done that made you very worried about what could have happened to the baby. If this type of behaviour is an ongoing thing then you really need to talk to them about doing a parenting course or something to learn about what level of supervision they should be giving.

You may even consider calling the child Protection service in your area - it would be unlikely the baby would be removed and they may just keep the info on file for future reference (in case a pattern begins to develop), but if they did get involved it would probably be in terms of educating them about what is apropriate. of course what action they did take would depend on their laws and the assessment of the risk level based on this info, any other info they can get from their files or other sources deemed necessary.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby kate_turner2000 » Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:04 pm

yes tegan is right chelle. working in childcare we were always told to report ANYTHING because it will go on file and if anything was to happen to the child they can see previous behaviours from the parents. also they have been reported previously and it could be a similar thing. its confidential so you wont get in trouble.
kate_turner2000

Postby Chelle » Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:46 pm

Yeah I'm pretty sure that I will go of at them & I might give child Protection service a call because I think it is so irrisponsible of them, to leave her there on the side I don't know if it is every ride but I know it was some of them.
Chelle

Postby kate_turner2000 » Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:51 pm

yeah if it was one or one hundred they still shouldnt have done it. where do people like that get their thoughts from? lol

kate_turner2000

Return to Just Chatting