It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:42 pm

Free Newsletter

Floods

Talk about anything and everything, whether it's related to weight loss or not.

Moderator: Moderators

Floods

Postby KarinAnn » Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:45 am

Just wanted to post a message to say i hope everyone is staying safe through out the floods. It's amazing how quick of a turn around we had.. Going from major droughts to massive floods.
I know kate_turner is in the Central Coast and didn't see her post anything on Saturday so Kate when you read this i hope you and your family are okay and are safe!!

Everyone else who is enjoying the long weekend thanks to the Queen i hope you also are having a safe weekend!!

**I can and WILL do this**
KarinAnn

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:21 am

It never rains but it pours! I know power has been out in the area for some time, and I too hope everyone is well.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Dolly » Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:21 am

Hugs to all those in the danger zone.
Kate_turner, praying that you and your family are all safe.
Dolly

Postby Playboy_bunny » Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:44 am

Oh, met too. I will be thinking of you Kate_Turner xxx
Image•·.·´¯`·.·•Gracie•·.·´¯`·.·•
Playboy_bunny

Postby Chelle » Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:15 pm

Hi everyone, Just thought I will show some pics of the flooding around where I live in Newcastle, I'm alright just the backyard & the garage was flooded didn't go into the house thank god, backyard is a total mess though expecting more rain tonight so we are all on standby thankfully I still have power there are alot of houses & businesses near by that don't have power & there are still alot of red light out that is causing alot of accidents & there has just been a notice below the TV to evacuate the next town where I live so it is not over yet. But so far all my family is safe.

I want to give credit to all the SES & Fire brigade, bush brigage they have non stopped since the storm hit on friday helping all the victims & still helping every where i go there is one one the road going to the next place. I have never seen anything so scary in my life & how quickly the floods rise is unbelivable. It is amazing how many abandoned cars are still on the road or down a gully that had been sweept away with the floods

I hope the pics work I have never post pics on a forum before, one of the pics I took today the ship that has beached it self at Nobby's beach on friday

Chelle

Postby Chelle » Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:16 pm

Yeah the pics worked
Chelle

Postby KarinAnn » Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:12 pm

Hi Chelle,
Glad to see you guys are safe. Which is the main thing!! I have family in Singleton so have been on the abc site and their radio streaming they have on the net most the night and day. It's really worrying. But thankfully they are okay now.

Hope you stay safe and i hope the rains stay away..

Strange how we all asked for rain now we are asking for it to go away..

Please keep us posted on how everything is going with you and your family..

KarinAnn

Postby Playboy_bunny » Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:29 pm

Glad to hear that you and your kids are safe, Chelle. I will be thinking of you all, and Kate and her family also xx
Playboy_bunny

Postby yummymummy » Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:03 pm

I havent seen Kate around the boards in a while I hope all is OK

Im glad your safe Chelle, must be scary ATM
Jody

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w3enhEK/]
[/url]
yummymummy

Postby kate_turner2000 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:14 pm

hey guys glad to hear everyones families are ok in the newcastle region and thanks so much for your concern about myself and my family. i truely missed you all! i have been without power phone and hot water since friday- the power came back on at lunch time today. pretty much after my last post on friday i was sitting in front of the heater watching a dvd and the power went off. it had been raining heavy for awhile. there was thunder and lightening and my backyard was flooded. a stray dog came on our verandah and ran off from the thunder cos it was scared.

when mick finally got to the train station to drive home friday night (he works in sydney) his car was up to its doors with water. he had to drive 80km around the other way because of flooding. this was the night that the somersby road collapsed and the family died a man his wife two daughters and nephew.

still without power or heating it was pretty cold. we lasted through and had a cold shower on saturday and we quickly took our meat over to mums place as they have a generator to run their fridge/freezer. the rest of the things in our fridge went off as well as some meat which had already started to defrost and we couldnt eat it all on the saturday. our suburb flooded and there were people in their canoes and kayaks rowing down the main road. there were no petrol stations open because we had no power or phones and my step dad had to cipher (sp?) fuel out of his car for the generator.

mick and my mobile phones were flat and we couldnt charge them. the phone came on a couple of times over the weekend and then would stop again. on sunday afternoon micks mum drove down once the waters had receeded from a suburb in newcastle that wasnt affected from the storm and picked us three up and took her to her house to stay last night. we got a hot shower and a feed which was good. we took all our documents and clothes etc for a week as we were told thats how long it would take for power to be back on. luckily i charged my phone at micks mum and dads and my brother rang saying the power was back on so we came home today. lots of washing to do. heidi has one nappy left for the morning before i go shopping for more supplies including all the things we had to throw out of the fridge. we didnt even have any cash on us and because of the phone lines were down we couldnt get money out at atm's or eftpos or anything like that.

the area has been declared a natural disaster area and micks boss rang him today and he told her he isnt coming to work for a few days. we have a couple of things to do around here. and until tonight we only just learnt that the trains are running again from wyong to sydney. our place wasnt damaged thank god just the fence is a bit unstable and a bit of debris in the yard.

it was so hard with a baby living by candle light. luckily we have a gas stove and oven but without much food to cook that sucked. we had no heating either and had to wear layers of clothes. theres still plenty of rain to come this week but the worst is over apparently.

thanks so much for your concerns though guys and i thought of you all and was worried about you guys too. i have had withdrawals big time and its been a depressing long weekend here thats for sure. we got some photos of our little town but ill have to upload them and everything.

chelle is right about the ses and other authorities. my father in law actually works for australia post in newcastle and was out rescuing kids from storm water channels and everything on friday night. theres heroes like that who you dont hear about :)

love yas! xoxox
kate_turner2000

Postby Playboy_bunny » Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:50 pm

Thank god you are ok Kate xxx :shock:
Playboy_bunny

Postby KarinAnn » Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:35 pm

Hey Kate, Glad to hear you and your family are safe!! I have come on a few times to check to see if you had posted yet. I've been listening to abc radio on the net since Friday and the stories people have been ringing in and talking about have been amazing... From old people needed help. To people helping out animals it's great how everyone is willing to lend a hand in a time like this.

KarinAnn

Postby yummymummy » Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:15 pm

scary stuff kate! Glad your Ok
Jody

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w3enhEK/]
[/url]
yummymummy

Postby Ally » Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:43 am

Hey Kate and Chelle....glad to hear that you guys are both ok....

I agree Chelle the emergency services/ses do a marvellous job in times like these and they deserve every praise for the fantastic job they do....hats off to all those lovely guys and gals!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:55 am

Good to hear things are on the improve up there and you are both safe.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Next

Return to Just Chatting