It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:45 pm

Free Newsletter

shoulder bursitis

Talk about anything and everything, whether it's related to weight loss or not.

Moderator: Moderators

shoulder bursitis

Postby KarinAnn » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:18 pm

Just curious if anyone here has ever had shoulder bursitis?? For about 2 months now i have had pain in my right shoulder and typical me didn't go see a doctor about it. But finally did! They thought i had a rotor cuff tear but discovered i have this shoulder bursitis.

I have to go in on Monday for an ultrasound on my shoulder so they can inject a steriod shot in the right place.. I guess i have only ever heard bad things about steriods. Has anyone had steriod injections before?? Im so curious and worried about the side effects!!

Any help would be great!!

**I can and WILL do this**
KarinAnn

Postby milkyway » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:37 pm

Hi KarinAnn - I had a steroid injection into my heel about 5 years ago to help with achillies tendonitis which developed after tearing 3 ligaments in my ankle.

It really REALLY hurt. But maybe that's just because it was in the heel? Not exactly a soft and fleshy part of the body... Shoulder might be completely different.

They gave me a local anaesthetic first and that absolutely killed, too. I thought it was all over when they gave me the local (I thought that was the steroid injection) and was horrified to know that the worst bit was to come :(

I was in Korea with a Korean doctor and nurses so didn't fully understand what was going on - the doctor spoke some English but not enough to fully explain the process and my level of Korean didn't progress much at that point beyond body parts. They almost had to scrape me off the ceiling when the injection went in. All up the process took about 2-3 mins.

As for side effects - my ankle hurt more after the steroid injection than when I tore the ligaments. But the doctor told me to expect that. I had to use crutches for the next 24 hours. I was so sad because I thought it didn't work and I was in so much pain and my face was white one minute and then green the next. ouch!

But the next day - I was like a new woman and could walk on my foot properly for the first time in about six months!

Now here's the really bad part - it didn't last. Three months later I was hobbling around again and stayed like that until I discovered the amazing healing power of acupuncture.

However, I'm sure every situation is unique. You might have a nice little needle in a fleshy bit of your shoulder that won't hurt too much. It may fix you up for good. Talk to your doc about what to expect and how much it's likely to hurt. I felt really ill afterwards, but I'm not sure if it's because a) I hate needles or b) the nausea was related to the injection or c) it hurt so much.

Good luck and let us know how you go.
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby KarinAnn » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:53 pm

Thanks Milkyway,
My shoulder really really hurts too. It's why i finally gave up and went to the doctor.
Sounds like you had a horrible ordeal with it all. Must have been hard when you can't fully understand what they are saying. Thankfully I was told about the local that they give me. Which makes me think the main needle is going to hurt. :shock: Im a wuz when it comes to needles. I cringe when they want to do the small finger tip needle to see if you have high/low sugar levels. So really not looking forward to this.
Of course being the chicken that i am have already told my mother she has to come with me. I might be 31 but i still need my mummy sometimes!
I will let you know for sure how it all goes. That's IF they can get me off the ceiling after it lol
I just hope i don't put on weight after it. Im trying to get rid of the weight i have and all i have ever heard from steriods is it makes you put on weight.. But then i may end up with big guns!! :lol:

KarinAnn

Postby kate_turner2000 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:49 am

wow never heard of it but it sounds down right painful !!!

let us know how the ultrasound thing goes. i might have to have ultrasound therapy done on my scar tissue down below from childbirth :shock:
kate_turner2000

Postby Sassygirl » Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:10 pm

I know how you feel. I had bursitis of the hip after my second daughter was born. I couldn't walk without limping.
2008 - my year to be great!!

Sassygirl

Postby slimmindown » Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:39 pm

I have bursitis of my L) shoulder and it can be very very debilitating. I had a cortisone injection about 18 months ago because I couldnt lift my arm up or sleep on that side and it worked within a few days, and I got pretty much full range of motion back.
The injection didnt hurt as the dr put local in with the cortisone.
My shoulder still is particular about how I sleep on it and I cant stand any pressure on it, but the pain is no longer there all the time. I hope you have a good result from it as well 8)

the Dr said it was from over use with nursing and using it in funny angles and such , lifting patients is often very awkward for a nurse :(
[no excuses, I can do it!
slimmindown

Postby KarinAnn » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:56 pm

Thanks for the replies! They have helped alot. I was seriously concidering not getting it done. But to find out that it does work. I will go in and get it done on Monday. I will let you all know how it goes. Mind you needles really do scare me so i'll be walking in there doing the chicken dance!

KarinAnn

Postby kate_turner2000 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:20 pm

LOL i can imagine it ! haha. you will be fine mate. it sounds like it is worth it :)
kate_turner2000

Postby milkyway » Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:12 pm

Too kewt! :P

Bwooork!!!
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby kate_turner2000 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:15 pm

:shock: im scared lol. is that what shoulder bursitis looks like?!
kate_turner2000

Postby KarinAnn » Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:17 pm

That is cute!!

Yes Kate that's what shoulder bursitis looks like. If i don't get these injections everytime i life my arm i lay an egg! :lol:

KarinAnn

Postby KarinAnn » Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:18 pm

Change that life to lift.. doh!

KarinAnn

Postby kate_turner2000 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:26 pm

ooooohhhh i see... so when we want bacon and eggs for breakie we should give you a call? haha
kate_turner2000

Return to Just Chatting