It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:16 pm

Free Newsletter

Sleep- Milkyway's progress report

Talk about anything and everything, whether it's related to weight loss or not.

Moderator: Moderators

Sleep- Milkyway's progress report

Postby milkyway » Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:26 pm

Confession: I sleep to much.

I love sleep. If I could, I would sleep 10+ hours every day. I have no set routine. I got to bed at different times, I get up at different times every day and I overuse the snooze button on my alarm. I am definitely not a morning person and don't really find my groove until 4pm, unless of course, I'm sleepy and my groove is nowhere to be found.

So, I did some research and found an article about How to become an early riser that stimulated my curiosity.

The fundamental principle is that you go to bed only when you feel sleepy - it will probably be a different time every night - but you have to get up at the same time every day regardless. You have to do this for 30 days to set the pattern. He reckons you end up needing to sleep less and you get better quality sleep and feel well rested.

So I shall try it :) Well, actually... I already started... but the first day I didn't set my alarm properly (trying for 6:30am) and it didn't go off so I didn't wake up until 7:27am :lol: and all night I kept waking up, thinking about the time and was worried that I would oversleep or that I already had!

Night two: Alarm set, but snooze button kicked in and I got up at 7:09am - getting a little better!

I will set my alarm for 6:30am everyday from now on and try this new sleep thing. I am sooo looking forward to having extra time in the mornings to get on top of things, making my nights free for exercise and other fun activities :)

Wish me luck for tomorrow :P Maybe I should post here as proof of what time I woke up.

Does anyone else have trouble with their sleep routine or wish to change it?
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby kate_turner2000 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:11 pm

omg san! i can totally relate. before i had heidi i could sleep all the time. during my pregnancy i didnt get morning sickness but i got extreme fatigue. i could sleep from the night before til 2pm the next day. ive always been a sleep hungry person. when i was little mum used to come and check on me in the bath and id be asleep in there with my long blonde hair floating all around me.

since having heidi though i have broken sleep. even if she is just making noises in her sleep i can hear her and i check on her. i am a light sleeper when it comes to heidi and i think its something maternal that a lot of mums tend to do- wake up to their baby but there could be a bomb go off outside their bedroom window but sleep right through it! so strange.

id love to try what you are doing it sounds interesting however my wake up time each morning is never the same and i get up a couple of times a night to heidi. :?

i am interested to see how it works for you!
kate_turner2000

Postby Ally » Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:03 am

Hey Sandra I will definately be following your progress!! I am the opposite some nights I can barely scrape in 4 hours sleep!! Sometimes I will sleep through until the alarm goes off though which is bliss (giving me a straight through sleep of 7-8 hours)!!

I will be interested to follow you through and see if you can change sleeping patterns, so please keep us updated!!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby milkyway » Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:26 am

Well todays update... slept in until 8:45am :roll:

At least tomorrow I have to get up early because I am participating in the 'Run to the G' fun run and have a train to catch at 7:50am. My husband starts work tomorrow at 7am so at least he will be up when I have to get up.

I WILL start tomorrow! :lol:

One great point the article writer makes is that you have to take the logic of 'the night before you' over the 'sleepy in the morning you'. Maybe I will try his other tips of practicing in the middle of the day of getting up to my alarm and putting on my trackies to make it habit. That would be a weird sight if anyone caught me...
------------------------
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby Roar2Life » Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:33 am

So you don't keep hitting the snooze button, try placing your alarm clock somewhere in your room where you'll have to get out of bed to turn it off. That way you'll probably think "Well i'm up now there's no point going back to bed!"
In a world full of people only some want to fly...
Roar2Life

Postby kate_turner2000 » Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:46 pm

best wishes for the fun run! hope the weather is kind to you
kate_turner2000

Postby yummymummy » Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:12 pm

good luck with your sleep!! Id looooveee to sleep like that but Im a shocking night owl and book worm so Im always sitting up to the wee small hours reading my latest book and with the kids Im up early weather I like it or not
Jody

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w3enhEK/]
[/url]
yummymummy

Postby milkyway » Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:24 am

I got up with my alarm this morning... well, it went off and I hit snooze but I got up before the alarm went off again. Tomorrow I will be bounding out of bed at 6:30am.

I've got a train to catch shortly to the 'Run to the G'. I am more looking forward to brunch with the girls afterwards :P
------------------------
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby Niglet » Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:40 am

Heh.

I've tried this routine for years on end and it's never helped me. Went to bed later and later each night, rarely saw the sun, and was always just as tired as usual. I need 12-15 hours sleep :( All I can reccomened are strong cups of coffee and No-Doze.
I believe in the madness called "now".

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wQdQcaI/]
[/url]
Niglet

Postby milkyway » Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:24 am

Well, it's day 2 and i managed to get up before the snooze button went off again. Kind of helped that my husband's alarm went off at 6am. Went to bed at 11:30pm last night or a little bit later. Don't remember. I will go to bed at 10:30pm tonight if i'm sleepy then.
------------------------
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby milkyway » Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:31 am

Not doing the greatest but I am trying - got up at 7am today and 8am yesterday. I just can't go to bed earlier than about 11:30pm.

Three of my TKD and Tae Bo classes start at 8:30pm so I don't get home until after 9:30pm, so by the time I cool down and shower, I'm feeling pretty wired. After the school holidays I am moving to a different class on a different night and I think it will be much earlier, but I'm sure I'll find something to keep me up :roll:
------------------------
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby SarahC » Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:47 am

That's a really great idea, waking up at the same time. It's good for your body to have a routine :D

I'm the opposite. I don't get enough sleep. I try to get to bed before 10pm, which usually ends up being 10:30pm.... then I sleep for an hour or so and wake up again!! Usually I'm straight back to sleep after visiting the toilet and the kitchen (trying to stay out of the kitchen though!!), and I'm up again at 5am to go to the gym :(

I've got two alarms next to my bed... and another in the bathroom. So not only do I have to get out of bed to turn it off, I have to go out of my bedroom to turn it off. Then, since I'm standing right next to the basin, I wash my face straight away. It kind of works lol.
SarahC

Postby Fireball » Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:46 pm

For many years I used to be very insomnical (is that a word?) I could stay up 3 days before sleeping which was handy as I'd study after my kids went to bed. But I was always exhausted.

Individuals need to look at why they are tired and things to suit their individual situations. I now realise I probably had depression & anxiety. I tried staying up until I was ready to sleep but wouldn't sleep until the wee hours of the morning or the next day. I tried "if you're worried write it down and go back to sleep" but found I was constantly writing, it kept me up for hours. lol

I had to teach myself how to go to sleep, i.e. when my mind wandered, tell myself to stop thinking and go to sleep. It took a while to develop a successful habit but now I usually sleep fairly soon after getting to bed.

I try to relax - not study, go online or discuss anything stimulating or highly emotional for a few hours prior to sleeping or I am too wired to sleep too.
I list things to do in my mobile phone; this stops me from worrying that I'll forget to do important things ... not that I actually get it done, but can sleep at night because I remind myself its listed so I can deal with it tomorrow. :lol:

I have been getting up at the same time for a few years. This discourages me from hanging around too late at night or I know I'll feel tired when it's time to get up. This has worked really well for me.

"Unknowingly, we plow the dust of the stars, blown about us by the wind, and drink the universe in a glass of rain."
Ihab Hassan
Fireball

Postby Chelle » Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:18 pm

I will be following your progress sandra, it will be interesting to see. I'm a night owl & have problems going to sleep at night my bed time use to be everynight 2 - 3am in the morning because of work habbits to now not working 11:30 so I'm getting a bit better at nights but I'm not morning person I hate getting up early with the kids but get up with the children inbetween 5:00 - 7
Chelle

Postby Fireball » Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:20 am

How's it going Sandra? I have been up late this week myself so I can't talk. lol

"Unknowingly, we plow the dust of the stars, blown about us by the wind, and drink the universe in a glass of rain."
Ihab Hassan
Fireball

Next

Return to Just Chatting