It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:23 am

Free Newsletter

Any artists on here?

Talk about anything and everything, whether it's related to weight loss or not.

Moderator: Moderators

Any artists on here?

Postby Niglet » Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:43 am

Hello all!

I was wondering if anyone else on here dabbles in creating :)

Personally drawing plays a huge part in my life; I'm not the best, but I'm certainly better than average and am currently trying to find some local galleries for new artists to pimp my doodles to! (Ignore that wording...)

So who else enjoys fun with drawing/painting/etc?
I believe in the madness called "now".

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wQdQcaI/]
[/url]
Niglet

Postby Ally » Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:54 am

nope I am a stick person drawer myself LOL!! I hope you find a gallery that will take on your drawings
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby Niglet » Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:58 am

Stick figures are awesome, unless you're talking about celebrities ;)
I believe in the madness called "now".

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wQdQcaI/]
[/url]
Niglet

Postby Ally » Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:03 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby zoeh » Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:46 am

Im not a drawer but I am creative - I'm a dancer and actor

Does that count?
zoeh

Postby Maraver » Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:28 am

I do digital stuff on the computer
self taught
things like this
converting this image of my ex in laws taken in black and white about 60 years ago
to this
While I am doing this it stops me eating
Pam
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wcPPfC1/]
[/url]
Maraver

Postby zoeh » Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:30 am

wow that looks awesome

they look so young
zoeh

Postby milkyway » Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:31 am

I write... I am about one third of the way through my first novel :P
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby Maraver » Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:38 am

zoeh wrote:wow that looks awesome

they look so young

Thankyou
see we are a multi-talented lot

Can we hear about your book?
Last edited by Maraver on Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wcPPfC1/]
[/url]
Maraver

Postby kate_turner2000 » Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:48 pm

thats awesome guys! i am not much of a sketch artist but i love to paint. i find it really theraputic. i did sculpture for my HSC for art and part of it was a painted roller blind and i was told that i should have done painting for my hsc instead of sculpture.
kate_turner2000

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:17 pm

I used to write a LOT.. When I was 14 over the summer school holidays I wrote a 60-page story (on the computer).. I really want to get back into it but have writers block...

Sandra - any tips for getting rid of writers block!? :(
I miss the way writing used to make me feel!!!
zeedeveelgirl

Postby milkyway » Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:27 pm

Lots, Em!!!

The main thing is to just write... write anything, no matter how trivial or wanky it may sound to your own internal critic - you've got to block out your internal censor and just get anything down. That's the other thing - don't think of it has having to "think something up" but rather as "get something down." Even if it's not related to the story you're working on, don't worry - just keep going. You can always fix it later - that's what second drafts are for (and third, and fourth...)

You also need to fill your artisitc well with inspiration - so treat your inner artist to a trip to the museum, the art gallery, the $2 shop - whatever floats your boat :)

I don't plan much when I write - I have a vauge idea of what I want to say and who my characters are and I just let the rest fall out. It's such a wonderful feeling when they eventually start to say and do things that you don't have conscious control over. Hmmm- that actually sounds a bit creepy, hahaha.

I am writing a chick lit book about a girl who starts to secretly meddle in other peoples lives with great results ... bit of a modern day Robin Hood (but without the whole robbing thing) and she gets a great kick out of it ... until she gets a bit of a God complex, think she can change anybody and goes too far... and it all unravels. And of course there's a cute boy to woo and family relationships to balance - all good fun :)

Edit: Em, there's a great book called "The Artists Way" by Julia Cameron and it's amazing - is great for writers, painters, actors, any kind of artist to tap into their artistic self. There's a lot in there that is equally applicable to weightloss, such as understanding self sabotage, holding onto past pain etc etc etc.
------------------------
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:41 pm

That's fantastic advice, Sandra, thanks heaps!!!! I'm definitely going to look into getting that book for sure, it sounds really helpful and exactly what I need.

Your book sounds great, I LOVE chick lit and that's my style of writing too :D It's good fun :D I always say "Why read a boring depressing book, there's enough sad things on the news!!!"
zeedeveelgirl

Postby milkyway » Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:33 pm

Oh I agree Em - that's my take on movies, too. There's too much horror in the world, I don't need to watch a depressing movie to remind me. To me, movies are about escapism and entertainment, and fiction books, very much the same.

The book is wonderful Em - it's a kind of 12 week course. You read a chapter each week and she sets you creative tasks to do each week, including taking yourself on an 'artists date' where you go and do something interesting and fun on your own. I lived in Korea when I did the book, and believe me, it was easy to do my artists dates - from trips to ancient temples and hikes in mountains to buying cool stationery and glitter pens in cheapie shops.

You also have to write 'morning pages', a 3 page journal entry EVERY day (the thing I learnt was that I could write every day!) ... plus a whole range of other things like writing a letter to your future self blah blah blah.

I did a Bachelor of Arts degree in professional writing at uni. I ended up majoring in scriptwriting and freelance journalism because I despised our fiction teacher (and he me).

I didn't write another piece of fiction after his class which was in second year, so I was about 19. I was so scarred by the experience and have since met many grads from other years who also said the same thing! And that teacher went on to get a Nobel nomination for his contribution to literature!!! Argh!!!

Anyway, about a decade after my run ins with this fiction teacher, I was given this book by Julia Cameron and it helped me get back in touch with my fiction writing self and get over those old wounds :D and it also helped me rediscover my voice - which is very much in the humorous/chick lit genre and I've even been dabbling in some teen stuff as well - teen fiction is a secret passion of mine :oops: and my 12 year old niece and I constantly trade novels - from Princess Diaries stuff to the "All About Rachael" series. Love it!
------------------------
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby Playboy_bunny » Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:23 pm

lol nevermind Milkyway, Im a reader of babysitters club books :D I have loved them since I was about 8 :) I have the whole series lol
Image•·.·´¯`·.·•Gracie•·.·´¯`·.·•
Playboy_bunny

Next

Return to Just Chatting