It is currently Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:51 pm

Free Newsletter

Talk about anything and everything, whether it's related to weight loss or not.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby grugwashere » Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:45 pm

would you rent to me?

im just trying to figure out why any one would rent to me.. im in the process of trying to move out with my firend.

we both have full time jobs
but we are both young he will be 19 soon and i will be 18 on monday.

:( sorry lol im just feeling very sorry for my situation at the moment.
GW: Somwhere in the 60's for now

Next mini goal:73kg

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:52 pm

it can be hard to find housing. Emphasise your reliability, if they need references and you've never rented, give them a teacher you got along well with who can tell them how reliable, trustworthy and punctual you are. Or a boss if you work. And make it very clear how you propose to make the rent payments (eg, I work and have budgeted to allow for rent in my living expenses, I have a rich daddy who will pay, I've just won the lotto and put it in a trust fund).
Really all they care about is 1) can they pay and 2) will the property quality remain undamaged at th end of it. If you can show that despite the misconceptions of age that you have those things covered, you should be in like flynn.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Postby milkyway » Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:53 pm

I recently wrote an article about this, but it's not yet live so I can't send you the link.

The full-time job thing certainly works in your favour. You're in Geelong, yeah? Competition is pretty fierce for a rental in Melbourne, maybe it's not so bad in Geelong?

They shouldn't be judging you on your age anyway - that's discrimination. Do you have any references you can offer? That might make you stand out from other applicants.

And just make sure you're friendly with the RE Agents and follow up on any applications you make.

Check out the Tenants Union of Victoria for lots of great resources and help.
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg

Postby grugwashere » Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:20 pm

thanks guys,
i live in melbourne, im just having my birthday in geelong hehe..

it is competitive and im just starting to panic because of the 30th of june i will be homeless lol.. well sort of homelss i could stay with my mum but id rather not.
GW: Somwhere in the 60's for now

Next mini goal:73kg

Postby kate_turner2000 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:22 pm

it will be so great when you get your own place jo, hang in there something will come up

Postby Chelle » Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:51 pm

Hang in there there will be someone out there that will give you a chance, Just get some references & maby show them your payslip to show that you can pay the rent

Postby *KaTe* » Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:40 pm

I've reciently been in the same prediciment. I live in the South eastern suburbs of melbourne and it has taken my boyf and I around 3 months to finally get approved for a place. We both have full time jobs and earn over a $1000 per week between us..

There is alot of competition, at some houses especially in narre warren/berwick there would be 20-25 other people looking at the same property.

We are both 23 so that didnt help either! So we increased the amount that we were willing to pay by around 10-15 per week, which meant there was less competition.

All you can do is keep on applying..Make sure you add a good reference from work, and If you have some savings perhaps offer an extra months rent in advance...

Also do you know anyone who works for a real estate agency or know of anyone who knows someone who works for one? That can help you alot as well...

Good luck, try and stay positive, its hard sometimes I know but its better than getting upset over it.

Im moving this w/end YAY first time moving out, will be awesome, a little sereal but am looking forward 2 it! :D

Return to Just Chatting