It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:39 pm

Free Newsletter

Home Business

Talk about anything and everything, whether it's related to weight loss or not.

Moderator: Moderators

Home Business

Postby Chelle » Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:50 pm

I was thinking of starting up a home business like selling things on ebay. Somthing along the lines of that, like buying a pallet load of stock & sell it individually on ebay. Can anyone think of anything that would be a good idea to sell. I just want to be more around the children but earn some money in the mean time until I can go back to work!!!! Does anyone think that this is a good idea or should I just give the idea the flick, it been on my mind to do somthing like this for a while.
Chelle

Postby milkyway » Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:52 pm

Hi Chelle - coming up with the right idea is just the beginning.

Some things to consider include what are you interested in? What do you have access to? Who do you have access to that could help you? What are you good at? What do you know a lot about? What do you want to know a lot more about? Sometimes it's hard to answer these questions ourselves, so ask some close friends. That might give you a general idea for where you could head and then do some considerable research into it to find out who your competitors are (both direct and indirect) and take it from there.

Other questions to consider if you're going to take the business a bit more seriously include - how many hours per week are you willing & able to commit to the business? How much money do you want to make? How many sales do you need to make that money? How much are people willing to pay for it. Can you do that within the time frame you've allocated? How are you going to distribute the products? What will you do if the product is faulty? What unique selling point are you going to offer? How will you market it? And that's just the beginning!

Selling on eBay is one option and probably a great starting point - but you still need to consider how you're going to get your product noticed by people and how you're going to 'sell' it to them, especially if it's something new.

Ultimately, it comes down to how serious you're going to take the business. If it's just a trial and error thing that you're not too serious about, ignore the above :)

I have a home-based part-time business that I run with my husband. It took about a year to get it off the ground and two years to get it to a point where we're comfortable with the 'extra' income and the level of effort we have to put in to achieve that income. It has been incredibly stressful at times, particularly when cash flow was tight and things went wrong that cost us stacks to rectify.

So while I don't have the right product for you, I wish you nothing but fun and success :) I'm sure you'll come up with something. Start small, test the waters and build from there.
Last edited by milkyway on Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby Playboy_bunny » Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:56 pm

I dont really have anything to suggest to you chelle...I just wanted to say that it sounds like a great plan :) Im sure you will be a great buisinesswoman :D
Image•·.·´¯`·.·•Gracie•·.·´¯`·.·•
Playboy_bunny

Postby Chelle » Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:07 pm

Thanks sandra for the info. It's just the matter of deciding what I want to sell & if it is worth the hassel of even selling it. & Time too taking away from my children.
Chelle

Postby Chelle » Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:08 pm

Thanks gracie for the kind words!!!
Chelle

Postby SarahC » Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:28 pm

I had a home business doing network marketing a while back. I found it very stressful, but then I did put in a lot of effort and put a lot of pressure on myself. I'm thinking about easing back into it, but weighing up other options of what I can do with my limited free time...

There's definitely a lot of money to be made in that type of business, but you have got to make it through the "tough stuff" first. You need to be very confident on the telephone, particularly calling people that you don't know. And you need to be strong enough to handle constant rejections and objections! (I've got tonnes of great resources to help with that if you decide to go down that path)

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

I've heard lots of success stories regarding eBay businesses. I heard of one person that just goes around to garage sales on a weekend and picks up stuff and sells that. You would need to know what to look for though :D
SarahC

Postby Niglet » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:29 pm

Ordering in bulk is a great way to make a profit.

There's a few websites out there who make their money ordering stuff in for people that they wouldn't be able to get otherwise, such as clothing brands from the US.
I believe in the madness called "now".

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wQdQcaI/]
[/url]
Niglet

Return to Just Chatting