It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:58 am

Free Newsletter

Christmas in July

Talk about anything and everything, whether it's related to weight loss or not.

Moderator: Moderators

Christmas in July

Postby emma21 » Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:08 pm

Does anyone celebrate Christmas in July?

For a few years I have intended on having a Christmas in July thing at my place, just never got around to it... So this year I am doing it :D

Except I dont know if I want to do the whole big Christmas dinner thing :?

What should I serve? I was just going to make individual meals (like glazed ham with vegetables or something) but I like to eat a bit of variety at Christmas so I threw that idea out the window. And its too cold for seafood and salads :o

Any ideas would be great food wise (mains and dessert).

Also considering doing secret santa - is there any kind of limits I should set for that - like $10 max per person to make it fair?

Thanks in Advance :D
emma21

Postby yummymummy » Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:31 am

Id go the whole traditional xmas dinner, turkey(you could buy a turkey roll) served with roasted veg, plum pudding and brandy sauce , maybe even egg nog if your into it- check out english cookbooks
Jody
Jody

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w3enhEK/]
[/url]
yummymummy

Postby shelbel » Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:47 am

Yeah ditto, because the whole point of xmas in july is, well xmas in july!!! :D
Highest Weight - 93kgs
Current Weight - 68.3kgs
Goal Weight - 65kgs

The wise man Stephen King once said - The only way to go on, is to go on. To say 'i can do this' even when you know you cant

You'll find me in the almost there section :)
shelbel

Postby Maraver » Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:00 am

We have not done it for a while but we would go the whole hog, and we put the tree up and everything but I am a pom from way back so I tend to go over the top
Pam
When we went on the houseboat this year in March............We had Christmas in March any excuse for a party :lol:
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wcPPfC1/]
[/url]
Maraver

Postby kate_turner2000 » Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:44 pm

i dont believe in christmas in july personally but i think if you were to celebrate it you should do the whole xmas feast :) it can be healthy you just need to watch your portions and perhaps leave drinking alcohol out of the occasion lol
kate_turner2000

Postby Ally » Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:53 pm

We don't do it either, but I think it is a great time to have the "traditional" English Chrissy dinner as it is just way too hot in summer to do it!!

The secret santa thing is always fun and I think to make it fair you can set a limit....Have fun with it all Emma and I hope you can post some pics of it for us!!!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby Chelle » Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:50 pm

I never celebrated chistmas in july but my nan & pop do every year they go to a lunchen with there bowling group.

If you are go to celebrate it go traditionally & have fun!!!!
Chelle

Postby reester33 » Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:14 am

I done Christmas in July numerous times both at my house and in my previous work (Activities Coordinator in aged care). I don't cook turkey, but I have made a plum pudding. I usually get some friends to bring drinks, shortbread, nibbles. I decorate the table only....I don't bother with the tree and the rest of the decorations because that's for the "real deal" (plus it takes too long! LOL)

I usually cook a nice leg of lamb (or pork) with roast vegies, and you can buy ham if you wish. If you don't fancy cooking a plum pudding you can buy some in a tin (dark blue) in the supermarket however if you don't feel it's too cold an ice cream plum pudding is nice (although leave the choc bits out as they are really hard when frozen. OUCH!) Or just serve coffee and other nibbles....like the shortbread, fruit cake, or make some White Christmas or chocolate royal plum puddings. Hmmm.....not really the thing for weight loss though!

I have also been soooooo prepared that I've bought cheap bon bons after Christmas and used those on the table. Red, green or Chrissy tablecloth, a bit of tinsel and Voila!

:) M

I WAS EATING MYSELF TO DEATH WITH A KNIFE AND FORK!
reester33

Postby emma21 » Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:50 pm

Thanks everyone for your ideas....

Now I just have to pick a weekend to do it on :?
emma21

Postby Chelle » Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:06 pm

Emma let us know how it turned out, Have Fun!!!
Chelle

Return to Just Chatting