It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:54 am

Free Newsletter

Daytime fun

Talk about anything and everything, whether it's related to weight loss or not.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby kate_turner2000 » Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:23 pm

you got that right. is it snowing in canberra at the moment?
kate_turner2000

Postby shelbel » Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:19 pm

Marine Biology!! wow i always wanted to do something like that when i was growing up!!

Ses- What would an average day be like???
Highest Weight - 93kgs
Current Weight - 68.3kgs
Goal Weight - 65kgs

The wise man Stephen King once said - The only way to go on, is to go on. To say 'i can do this' even when you know you cant

You'll find me in the almost there section :)
shelbel

Postby Ses » Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:03 pm

I worked in microbiology - so when at work just like any other micro lab. I also did a lot of molecular biol stuff.

Spent around 3 months of the year (2day-6week trips) at sea. days there depended on where we were and what we were doing. If diving usually 2 dives a day, with a snorkel session between, and then a few hours in the lab on board.

Lucky that I had relative freedom at work in both places though....... managed my own time.

We did have snow at home a couple of weeks ago, and snow is forecast for tonight on the slopes. Planning to go up on monday - but I cant ski this year (fractured my fibula in Jan, and still have probs with the tendons).
[[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wg3ZtyW/]
[/url]
Ses

Postby shelbel » Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:15 pm

Geez you must be one smart lady!! :D

I have no idea what happens in a micro lab!

But the rest sounds like a dream job to a lot of people, i cant even snokel, cant put my head under or i freak out!!!

What type of marine life did you study??
Highest Weight - 93kgs
Current Weight - 68.3kgs
Goal Weight - 65kgs

The wise man Stephen King once said - The only way to go on, is to go on. To say 'i can do this' even when you know you cant

shelbel

Postby Ses » Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:25 pm

he he he - fungi

But lots of stuff really - catalogueing australian marine invertebrates.
[/url]
Ses

Postby shelbel » Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:33 pm

Wow, fungi you say!

Not quite as romantic as dolphins or scary as sharks, but still as important! I bet you've seen some sharks???
Highest Weight - 93kgs
Current Weight - 68.3kgs
Goal Weight - 65kgs

shelbel

Postby Ses » Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:38 pm

a few......have some good shark stories. Should have seen the size of the hammerhead on my line one night! Swimming with a whale shark; nearly waking a tiger shark asleep in a cave; buzzing reef sharks (actually, one came around a bommie and swam into my slate - I dont know who was more scared!); followed by nurse sharks .......
[/url]
Ses

Postby shelbel » Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:40 pm

Ever seen a great white??

Go on, tell us a story!!! :o
Highest Weight - 93kgs
Current Weight - 68.3kgs
Goal Weight - 65kgs

shelbel

Postby Ses » Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:46 pm

The closest I can come to a great white is the time my partner in crime and I were taking some R&R out in a inflatable off the WA coast (Ashmore Reef). We were waiting for permits before the work could start, so PIC and me took off with a picnic lunch and our snorkel gear. Being ladies, alone and enjoying the sun, we removed most of our clothing (kept the undies because the rubber on the boat was hot). We had snorkelled with sea snakes, frolicked on coral cays and were slowly motoring up a spot where to currents met, fishing nautlis shells out (I have never seen so many!). I was driving, PIC was hanging over the boat looking for perfect shells, when I looked up to see an indonesion fishing boat full (around 12) of men who had been on the boat for months without women! Luckily we had a motor while they only had a small sail..........
So there you go - 2 pairs of great whites!
[/url]
Ses

Postby shelbel » Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:53 pm

PMSL!!!!

Love it, you wild woman!!! Not quite what i was hoping for, but a great come back none the less!!!
Highest Weight - 93kgs
Current Weight - 68.3kgs
Goal Weight - 65kgs

shelbel

Postby Ses » Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:00 pm

actually, just remembered another interesting episode. I was pregnant and could not dive, but was in the inflatable directing team who were setting up a reasearch plot for my phd. Not neing able to stay out of the water too long I had a maks and snorkel and kept hanging over the boat to watch from above. As the team finished and came up, a pod of at least 20 reef sahrks appeared and "danced" around my site. It was one femal (slightly bigger then the rest) being courted by many suiters......amazing too watch.
[/url]
Ses

Postby shelbel » Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:57 pm

So much like being on the dancefloor at 2am!! Haha. I bet you love the ningaloo reef then!! Where abouts have you dived??
Highest Weight - 93kgs
Current Weight - 68.3kgs
Goal Weight - 65kgs

shelbel

Postby Ses » Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:38 am

didnt get to Ningaloo. Headed there twice, but both times had to turn back due to cyclones. Have dived all over the AUstralian coast - too many to list Had a couple of projects at Rottnest and Coburn Sound!
[/url]
Ses

Postby kate_turner2000 » Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:42 pm

what an amazing job :) great stories too :)
kate_turner2000

Postby qwerky » Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:24 pm

milkyway wrote:
I work as a freelance writer and editor. I have a part-time, home-based internet business with my husband.

Hi there

I'm 46, married with one feline fur baby (had to look that up to find out what it meant!). I'm also an editor - worked at Old Parliament House for my last job. I'm now writing ministerials - not as interesting as editing, but it's three days a week, which I love.

I was wondering what course you did to become a freelance writer and editor? I'm doing the ACQ Professional Writing and Editing course via distance learning. Some of it's a bit basic, but it's good for revision..
The greatest gain will come when I lose weight. It will be no loss to me.
qwerky

PreviousNext

Return to Just Chatting