It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:15 pm

Free Newsletter

XMAS

Talk about anything and everything, whether it's related to weight loss or not.

Moderator: Moderators

XMAS

Postby kate_turner2000 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:58 pm

hey guys and girls

today i did my first layby ever! i know im strange lol. usually i just wait til i have enough money to buy something but my mum needed me to drive her to the shopping centre today to go to the bank and i decided to laybe some clothes for heidi at best n less and some underwear for mick to go with their birthday presents and xmas presents. it only came to $112 and i paid $15 off it today. didnt get that much but will get some more once that is paid off. next weekend we are laybying a swing set with bonus slipper dip from big w for heidi because that will be her joint birthday and xmas present because its so big and expensive.

i was talking to ally about this the other day about the cost of buying kids their presents at birthdays and xmas time. some mums i know spend about $400 per child at xmas. i know i couldnt afford that sort of money on gifts. especially since mick heidi and i are having our own christmas lunch this year at home we need to buy stuff for that as well.

hows everyone else going for xmas shopping? have you started? what do you usually do each year in regards to shopping? do you lay by? do you spend a certain amount on your kids?
kate_turner2000

Postby emma21 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:14 pm

I did a Christmas Layby today...

So far have spent about $120 on each kiddie... Havent been to Kmart yet though so that could increase (and I am sure it will :oops: )

With 2 or more kids its hard (in my opinion) because you need to even things out - like you might get 2 things for one child for 100 bucks but for the other child/ren you might find 4 or 5 things - kids dont understand that though. (Not that my kids are aware of it at the moment anyway).

After I had found my 'Santa Stuff', I had a look around for stuff from my dad for the kids (cos he asked me to). Before that my trolley was full but not overloaded then I added Dad's Stuff and then I had people giving me funny looks :shock: A few "Holy, look at that trolley" comments from some kids (which made me feel bad :? )

I justify buying so much at Christmas because I dont tend to buy the kids much in the way of toys during the year lol

And Miss 3's birthday is in November and Mr 6 months is on the 27th of December - so I have no idea what to do for birthdays lol

:lol:
emma21

Postby kate_turner2000 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:34 pm

hey emma thats the same for me. i dont buy for heidi during the year only birthdays and xmas. it may sound scabby but thats the way i was brought up and it made it exciting to look forward to birthdays and xmas. im sure you got a few strange looks with the trolley piled high lol but you have got more than one child and you were buying on behalf of someone else.
kate_turner2000

Postby grugwashere » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:57 pm

i read a really good tip in thats life the other day.

find things when they are having a big sale or are hugely discounted and keep them in a "present store" for birthdays or christmases... you add to it over the year and it doesnt seem like such a massive hit to the pocket all at once. also it would be good not to have to worry about peoples birthdays just go to the box or cupboard and pick out something they would like.
SW:91kg
CW:75kg
GW: Somwhere in the 60's for now

Next mini goal:73kg
grugwashere

Postby Playboy_bunny » Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:39 pm

I havent started yet lo, :) But Im with you, Kate, the amount some mum spend on their kids is ridiculous! A friend of mine spent $2000 on each kid (3 kids! :shock: ) Because Im a single mum and dont have much money, I will generally get an idea of what connor wants, then Ill buy him one special thing (like a particular game or car or playset or something, worth about $50 dollars) then i go to one of the cheaper disccount shops like reject shop or the warehouse and fill up his stocking with textas, pencils, colouring books, bubble bath, some chockies, a few cheapy packs of cars or little toys and some undies/socks....All up it will come to about $50, and he is always wrapped! :D I wrap them all up individually and he's always sooooo happy to unwrap all the little packages :) Ive actually had someone scoff at that, but I think its a smart way to shop :)
Image•·.·´¯`·.·•Gracie•·.·´¯`·.·•
Playboy_bunny

Postby Playboy_bunny » Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:40 pm

its not worth putting yourself in the poorhouse for christmas! :D
Image•·.·´¯`·.·•Gracie•·.·´¯`·.·•
Playboy_bunny

Postby Ses » Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:11 pm

I usually budget for the kids. Last xmas it was a $200 limit for each, which bought them the one biggie they each wanted, with a few small surprises. In reality they are usually happy with 1 or 2 of thier presents anyway - the rest just sits around until they are bored later in the holidays!

Christmas with family makes it harder - some of my neices and nephews get more each then our entire family has .........

At least my kids are happy, and nice to be around! (but maybe I am biased.....) :lol:
[[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wg3ZtyW/]
[/url]
Ses

Postby kate_turner2000 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:13 pm

yeah i know what you mean gracie with the stocking, i think its a great idea :) my sisters youngest daughter is turning 8 in august and she is getting an mp3 player, all the pixel chick range of toys, a remote control car and a birthday party at some indoor play centre. far out lol. and my sister doesnt layby that either she pays it up front but she has to work a lot of overnight shifts (shes a midwife) to pay for it. heidi receives enough presents from other people on her birthday and xmas. we are trying to pay off a loan so we can get our new car and thats something the whole family can enjoy.
kate_turner2000

Postby grugwashere » Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:18 pm

i think the stocking idea is a fabulous idea.. i always got one.. last christmas was my last time though as i am now a ADULT! lol

depending on the financial stability of my Guardians i got a main present and other small "stocking stuffers" although one year when their business was going well i got an mp3 player and a guess watch because they couldnt decide which one i wanted more lol ( i didnt complain :P)
SW:91kg
CW:75kg
GW: Somwhere in the 60's for now

Next mini goal:73kg
grugwashere

Postby milkyway » Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:35 pm

I always loved getting lots of little presents. My parents always spoiled us at Christmas but it was the only time of year they gave us stuff, other than our birthdays.

These days, it's all about the nieces and nephews. I think I spend more on food and alcohol than I do on them :P ... well, not quite, but almost. I am in charge of getting the seafood from the Vic Market on Christmas Eve.

I would like to be like my parents and have the birthdays and christmas as the special times to look forward to, but I know my husband, and he'll want to spoil them ALL the time. I can sense some future conflict on the horizon...
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby Ally » Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:19 pm

:shock: :shock: AAARRGGGHHHHH!!!! Christmas layby already!! Gosh it is not that much longer to go is it???? I may have to get my backside into gear!!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby emma21 » Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:38 pm

How do you guys split your pressies up for the kids? Are they all from Santa? Some from Santa and some from you? A stocking full from Santa and the rest from you? etc etc...

I was debating on how to do it last year. I ended up just making them all from Santa but as Miss 3 gets older, I am waiting for the 'Where are the presents from you Mummy?" :shock:

I want to make the kids a stocking this year - does anyone have any patterns? Or should I just go and buy two lol
emma21

Postby Dee » Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:54 pm

We do a stocking frm Santa - although it's not massive - every year the kids get new bathers from santa (they need them anyway, so I may as well avoid spending more than I need on pressies) and they usually get a DVD/video, some stationery things and a couple of little bits and pieces - stocking usually comes to about $20-$30 plus bathers.

Then they get one main pressie from Santa - this year dane's getting an RC (Toy story) that cost me $35, and Lydia's getting a $10 sketch slate - you know magnetic things they draw on.

Then they each get a pressie from Andrew and I - usually anywhere between $50 - $75, thinking that this year I might do a combined pressie for them and get swings for the backyard.

Plus a pressie from each other - again normally about $20 - $30

Lydia's birthday is 5 days after Christmas so I can't overspend cos my kids get spoiled rotten for their Birthdays (usually up to $200 :oops: ), and I don't want Lydia to miss out just cos hers falls so close to Christmas

I've already Layby'd or bought everything. Have even started wrapping so that if the kids do come across them - (by climbing up to the top of my closet hehehe) they still wont know what's inside.
[url=http://www.phenforum.com/ticker/]
[/url]
Dee

Postby kate_turner2000 » Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:57 pm

i usually just make one present from mum and dad and the rest from santa. heidi has a stocking which is small she got when she was a baby cos her bday is the 9th december and i put one present in that- last year it was hairbands. just something little.
ive just laybyed some clothes so for her birthday she will get

clothes
a book
a small toy (about $10)
and for xmas she will get
clothes
a book
a small toy ($10)
and this year she is getting a swing set which is both a xmas and birthday thing. she doesnt get presents throughout the year.
kate_turner2000

Postby corolla_chick » Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:18 pm

in my kmart catalouge this week was christmas lights, christmas bears and christmas trees!!!!!
beck :D

corolla_chick

Next

Return to Just Chatting