It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:16 pm

Free Newsletter

Shocked

Talk about anything and everything, whether it's related to weight loss or not.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:33 am

Sounds like they already looked at a comparison between the 2 possible diagnoses. Talking to the hearing lady would be a great idea I think. I would also talk to her about the situation and see if she will support you by writing a report for the school and the doctor or something if it ends up really coming to blows.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby yummymummy » Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:19 pm

AGH why is parenting soooo hard? my son is a constant worry for me :cry:
Jody

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w3enhEK/]
[/url]
yummymummy

Postby Ses » Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:21 pm

just to add a note on the topic, they are revising the criteria for diagnosis of ADHD - mainly because of the difficulty and "labelling" that is associated with the issue....

It is bascially not going to have the ADHD label (from what I was told), but will be seen as a spectrum of issues, which will require medication only at the extreme end.

I personally do not beleive many Drs hand out ritalin easily anymore ... tho as with all people they will have thier personal habits!

My nephew was similarly labelled at his school, medicated by his mother (who had to convince the Dr with a letter from herself and the school why it was necessary), but still had huge social/behavioral problems. Through a series of unfortunate events (for her - fortunate for my nephew), he now lives with his father and my parents, attends a private school and is excelling - medication free! It has take 18 months for him to get this far, with effort from his new school and at home - but the change is miraculous!

The bottom line is that all kids learn in different ways and at different times. If your son needed medication I am sure you would recognise this. I think he just needs time and understanding. Maybe you could look into a steiner school for your son - I think there is one in Rockhampton......
[[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wg3ZtyW/]
[/url]
Ses

Postby Ally » Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:14 pm

there is a school that is for kids with problems here in rocky but it is way out of our price range. His actual teacher is really good and there is no way I would consider changing schools....I will just be making his support teachers life a little uncomfortable.... :twisted:

no there has been no comparison in diagnosis either, just the doctor saying he has adhd and wanting to put him on ritalin...she completely disregarded the CAP test and its results.......I am over the whole bloody thing quite frankly!!! I can't speak on other doctors, but this one just seems to hand it out!!!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby Ses » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:20 pm

Steiner schools are not for kids with problems - just a different way of educating kids. They are usually not too expensive either.

Sounds like his teacher is good though. I hear tears ... must dash.
[[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wg3ZtyW/]
[/url]
Ses

Postby Fairie » Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:07 pm

Mother's know their children better than anyone else Ally and it sounds to me as though you know more than a so called educated doctor. My grandaughter was also diagnosed with ADHD but I believe that is because her mother is so slack she doesn't have any rules etc for her to follow that she runs amok. When she is here with me or her Father she is totally different. I have at the moment talked the mother out of putting her on medication.
-Fay-

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSDGUdx/]
[/url]
Fairie

Postby Playboy_bunny » Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:22 pm

yeah I think thatws pretty common unfortunately fairie :roll:
Ive know a family who was very similar, let their son run wild, no rules, no discipline or punishment....they are the kind of parents that leave their kids to their own devices and drink all day and smoke and fight and swear HEAPS in front of the kids, and you wonder why the kid swears and acts the way it does :roll: So, they label the kids behaviour (mainly boredom and attention seeking so mum will pay attention, I think) as ADD rather than looking at their parenting
Image•·.·´¯`·.·•Gracie•·.·´¯`·.·•
Playboy_bunny

Postby Ally » Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:05 am

Ah ok ses thanks for that....my mistake....I had only heard of the other school I spoke about....I will have to look into it for sure if the outcome at his present school is unacceptable...thankyou...

Hey Fay...I think what you speak of with your granddaughter is what Tegan was saying about the "overdiagnosing" kids that don't have it.

I can't understand parents who just want to label their kids so that they don't have to take responsibility for their parenting skills....I think a lot of todays society would rather say "oh little billy/mary has addhd, ODD and xyz problem, he can't control himself" rather than disciplining them. I think it makes some parents feel 'better'......(I am not saying this is the case with your daughter)...

with four kids in our family, it would be mayhem without rules and boundaries for our kids to follow!! Don't get me wrong all kids will push boundaries (I think mine are little experts :P ), but they know that there are consequences for their actions should they cross that line...they understand that they are responsible for their own behaviour.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Previous

Return to Just Chatting