It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:09 am

Free Newsletter

What age?

Talk about anything and everything, whether it's related to weight loss or not.

Moderator: Moderators

What age?

Postby Playboy_bunny » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:15 pm

What age do you think is suitable to leave your kids alone in the bath?? My little boy was four in march, so 4 & 4 months, and he is getting really iffy with me about privacy to go to the loo and getting dressed and stuff, and when its bath time, he has started telling me that he wants to be left alone....currently I will sit with him while the bath fills, then I leave and tell him Ill be back in a minute, and will be gone for say 1 minute, put on the washing or something, and then come back and check him...then go again (make beds or something) then come back and check... or if Im gone for more than about 1 1/2 mins, I call out to him as Im doing whatever job, and ask him if he's ok (our bathroom is central in the house, so you can hear or see him from any room)....this seems to be working ok...its a little freedom, but I still can see or hear him at all times...he realyl wants me to 'leave him alone'....what should I do? He never puts his head under water or anything, usually he will just float or play with his bath toys. Maybe I should start leaving him alone for little longer (say 2 or 3 minutes)???...what age did you leave your kids alone in the bath?? (Im so a- nal about this kind of thing, so thats why I need the advice! :D) Thanks everyone!
Image•·.·´¯`·.·•Gracie•·.·´¯`·.·•
Playboy_bunny

Postby Playboy_bunny » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:17 pm

I also want to add that he has showers probably half the time, and is left alone 99% of shower time....I dont know why that freaks me out less... I guess cos its not a tun of water, and other than slipping (got mats down :D) he cant really do much damage in the shower...
Playboy_bunny

Postby Playboy_bunny » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:18 pm

that was meant to say 'tub' of water not 'tun' *sigh* I think its past my bedtime!
Playboy_bunny

Postby Maraver » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:41 pm

After reading your posts.........you are not ready to leave him alone in the bath, you would not feel comfortable so don;t do it, my grandaughter is 4 she will be 5 in August and I leave her for 5 mins max at a time.
Don't do anything you arn't comfortable with you will know when you can leave him
I am probably not making sense either cos I am tired
Pam
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wcPPfC1/]
[/url]
Maraver

Postby milkyway » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:54 pm

I had unsupervised baths since i was quite young - though most of the time it was with my older brother (until he got ringworms and then I had a bath before him).

Anyway, once the bath got cold, so I turned on the hot tap... I then climbed up on the side of the bath to pull the bathmat down which was hanging over the shower. I fell down, landed on my bum and slipped right under the hot water tap. I got a serious burn from the scald (not sure if it was third degree or not, but i still have scarring) and I remember just screaming and my dad came and lifted me out of the tub.

I don't mean to scare you with my little tale, but like Pam says, if you're not comfortable, listen to your mother's instinct... and make sure he knows never to run just the hot water... I learnt that lesson the hard way... like the time I stuck a knife in the toaster to get a jammed piece of bread out...
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby Playboy_bunny » Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:12 am

Oh sh*t Milkyway :shock: Thats awfful! :shock: yeah, i have taught him never to touch the taps....but I think you are both right, I really dont feel good about doing it, so maybe in a few year's time Ill let him go....And you're right, I am happy doing the 1-2 mins alone thing.... thanks guys :)
Playboy_bunny

Postby kate_turner2000 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:44 am

yeah i agree with the girls YOU arent ready to leave him alone yet. just make it clear that he cannot be left alone until he turns 5 :) when heidi has a bath i do my makeup or fix my hair up or apply face cream or brush my teeth or something! after i have finished washing her. this lets her have her play time in her bath seat. i am in the same room as her right next to her! but im not invading her space. she is still really young though but i remember i also was a child who had baths young unsupervised. with the bathroom door open and i used to fall asleep in the bath all the time. my mum had to go to a wedding one night and my older sisters were watching me (they were older teenagers like 16 17 18) and mum told them to watch me because i fall asleep in the bath. she had to keep ringing from the wedding to make sure they kept an eye on me. many times they would come in to find me floating on my back in the bath asleep with my long blonde hair floating around me! gone off on a tangent here but yeah i dont think you should leave him alone longer than you have been. it only takes a split second for an accident.
kate_turner2000

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:09 pm

different children become 'responsible' or 'trustworthy' at different ages. You know your child better than anyone and also the risks present in your bathroom. I would say that you are doing the right thing by checking in on him periodically and playing it safe - this increases his precious privacy but keeps him safe.

If you think he'll respond to it, you could try having a conversation with him about why he wants you gone and why you want to stay (on an age appropriate level obviously) and see if you can come to an agreement. Maybe that he talks to you constantly through a closed door while you do the ironing or something on the outside.

The other thing you could do is call a parenting line or similar and ask their advice if it's really getting prickly at bath time.

I should say that I am not a mum myself and the above advice is only based on my own brand of common sense
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby grugwashere » Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:28 pm

im very paranoid.. once when i was watching my niece in the bath she slipped and had it not been for me quickly yanking her out she may have drown.. she was very young at the time though. maybe 1 1/2... shes older now (nearly 4) and can easily get herself up but i am just paranoid..lol my sister ( her mum) leaves her in the bath to play while she dries her other baby in the bedroom... this take about 5 maybe 10 minutes... it works for them..

i feel sorry for my kids though- they arent going to be allowed to sleep on their own for my fear of something happening to them hehehe
SW:91kg
CW:75kg
GW: Somwhere in the 60's for now

Next mini goal:73kg
grugwashere

Postby Fireball » Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:11 am

If it is a safety issue listen to your feelings but try to work out a way not to stress yourself, eg I encouraged my kids to sing in the bath, to tell stories to their toys or gave them noisy toys to play with. If things didn't sound right I would check.

I like the suggestion of actively doing something nearby so it's not like your totally focusing on them.

Do remember that children are stretching and testing their independence. They do not always know what is good for them as they don't have a full understanding of hazards and the extreme consequences which may result when thing go wrong.

"Unknowingly, we plow the dust of the stars, blown about us by the wind, and drink the universe in a glass of rain."
Ihab Hassan
Fireball

Return to Just Chatting