It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:54 am

Free Newsletter

Stay at Home Mums and housework- what do you think?

Talk about anything and everything, whether it's related to weight loss or not.

Moderator: Moderators

Should stay at home Mums be responsible for all housework?

Yes
35%
No
65%

Total votes : 17

Stay at Home Mums and housework- what do you think?

Postby Fireball » Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:16 am

I would love to know what people think.

"Unknowingly, we plow the dust of the stars, blown about us by the wind, and drink the universe in a glass of rain."
Ihab Hassan
Fireball

Postby Fireball » Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:18 am

I tried to make a "poll" but dont think it worked.

What do people think?

Should Stay at Home Mums be responsible for all the house work if a man has a fulltime job teaching which also requires some out of hours work?

"Unknowingly, we plow the dust of the stars, blown about us by the wind, and drink the universe in a glass of rain."
Ihab Hassan
Fireball

Postby Maraver » Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:00 am

During the week I think she should, but at the weekend a role reversal with the chores might be nice for the stay at home wife
Pam
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wcPPfC1/]
[/url]
Maraver

Postby kate_turner2000 » Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:31 am

i am a sahm and i personally LOVE housework. i am a clean freak as it is- waaayyy before i even met mick my fiance. i like being in charge of running the household, i have my own routine that i follow each day. of an evening though mick picks up a tea towel and wipes up (i dont ask him to he just does it and its part of his routine now too). if i ask him to do something he will do it and i dont hesitate to ask either! just because he has had a long day doesnt mean he cant contribute to keeping the house running when he is home. on the weekend i dont bother to continue with my weekday routine because i know theres no point working around him and heidi. we just try and enjoy each others company and get out and do something with the time we have together. he always commends me on keeping the house nice and its nice to feel appreciated. i know plenty of sahm who dont lift a finger but i couldnt do that because i am very anal about my cleaning.

each to their own though and if some sahm's feel that they dont have enough hours in the day to get things done thats fine. thats their own routine. i had a third degree tear with childbirth and i was still up cleaning and washing because i wanted to!
kate_turner2000

Postby Donk » Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:11 am

Added a poll, let me know if you want it changed to something more specific.
Donk

Postby kate_turner2000 » Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:26 am

well my answer isnt applicable to either of those answers in the poll. i believe that the partner should help out if he is home
kate_turner2000

Postby emma21 » Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:46 am

I think he should contribute in some form - even if it is a few small things each day...

My other half needs to be asked to do anything :? Even putting his dirty clothes in the basket - small things which usually require no thought when you are doing them ("oh I'm taking my dirty clothes off now, they should go in the dirty clothes basket, oh hang on I'm too lazy to lift the lid")

We just had a house inspection this morning - all the other half contributed to cleaning up was folding his clothes, putting them away and cleaning a few things up around his computer desk :(

Just sh!ts me that he doesnt think to contribute to the running of the household - its not like I am asking him to do everything when he gets home from work. I dont mind cleaning up cos I am a bit anal too when it comes to doing things - I like them done a certain way lol

But to reiterate (before I write a 10000 word essay) - it shouldnt hurt for a guy to make some contribution to household chores!!
emma21

Postby Chelle » Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:26 pm

As doctor phil said quote "A SAHM is the job of 3 fulltime job's." because there is no start & finish time it is 24/7 job.

Should Stay at Home Mums be responsible for all the house work if a man has a fulltime job teaching which also requires some out of hours work

Yes your hubby has a does have demanding job & there is work that need to be done outside work hours, but he live there to & should do some of the house work to help you out. You do it anyway the cleaning but I dissagree that it should't be just the sahm that has the job description to do all the house work because your not at work. It is nice for your partner to help out when ever they can, but you know you do a better job doing it yourself that way you know that the cleaning is done properly.
Chelle

Postby Playboy_bunny » Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:31 am

Im the same as Kate, I love housework (today is housework day, YAY! hehe) and because Im single, I do it all anyway.....BUT if I was with someone and he went out to work, then I stand by the fact that if I am a sahm, the home IS my job....I think if Im here, then I should be responsible for the cleaning and cooking....at least most of the time! :D I think I do have rather old values, though....just how I was brought up....anyway, yeah If Im at home then 'home' stuff is my job :) I also enjoy it, and like to take care of my man ;)
Image•·.·´¯`·.·•Gracie•·.·´¯`·.·•
Playboy_bunny

Postby soon2bayummymummy » Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:01 pm

yep i think husbands should definely help out. We need to have some time to ourselves and we also need some time when we dont have to do everything every day. I have my husband help out with some things i wont do and with things i dont have the energy to do. He works 2 jobs and when i go back to work ill be doing 2 jobs to . But i think if u cant get your man to help out with the cleaning just get him to clean up after himself.
soon2bayummymummy

Postby Fireball » Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:42 pm

Thanks Donk. It is interesting to see what people think. Mind you I can't even see how people vote. My online computer skills aren't that good. :lol:

Ihab Hassan
Fireball

Postby vanessa0305 » Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:48 pm

I said yes, but I mean in my house. My hubby works a very demanding job, its hard physical labour. He works not just during the week but often on weekends too! So when he is home I would prefer he spend his time with the kids. And He does help out with the kids a lot when he is home.
Vanessa

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/woi7sgh/]
[/url]
vanessa0305

Postby Jannie » Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:27 am

I don't think the answer is the same for everyone. It's striking a balance, I guess. I'm a stay at home partner at the moment, I guess, but I am studying for a uni degree while I spend some time at home with my pre-schooler, which takes up a lot of time.

On the other hand, my partner is only working part-time at present (and his hours vary). I don't think the stay-at-home parent (mum or dad) should shoulder all the child care and housework at all. After all, it's not a 9-5 job (more like 24 hour)!

But how a family fits it together needs to be individual, according to each partner's commitments (and preferences, I guess - some people are better at, or more comfortable with, some tasks than others). The main thing seems to be that both partners are content with the share each does.

Jannie
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wBcrzqc/]
[/url]
Jannie

Postby BrokenAngel » Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:49 pm

I don't think all the housework should be left to the mum, if it was, then my house would be a bomb site as I look after 3 kids(aged 5, 3 and 9 weeks) all day. I have kindy runs and grocery shopping and playgroup, etc.

My partner works away on the mines for 2 weeks on and 1 week off and when he is home, he will do pretty much everything to give ME a break(even though it is his week off). I don't ask him to do it, but he wants to. He says he thinks my job is much harder than his(and he works 12 hour days).

Like CHelle said, being a SAHM is a 24 hour a day, 7 days a week job!
BrokenAngel

Postby Lizzie » Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:09 am

I think they should definitely do some housework - my partner is a teacher too and I know they put in a lot of hours outside teaching but he is still responsible for things around the home. I think everyone who lives in the house should make some contribution to help keep it running even if it is as simple as packing up your toys or setting the table for dinner.
Lizzie

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wtExczz/]
[/url]
Lizzie

Next

Return to Just Chatting