It is currently Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:48 am

Free Newsletter

Advertising for kids eye's

Talk about anything and everything, whether it's related to weight loss or not.

Moderator: Moderators

Advertising for kids eye's

Postby Chelle » Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:22 pm

Is it just me or does every product these day's have some cartoon character on it to attract kid's. It is really starting to pee me off because my kid's want the product because it's got spiderman, transformer, batman ect they don't care what's in the box it's just because of the pitchure. I think some company's go to far, they know if they advertise a product with that a kid can relate to the kids are going want it. There is so many times you can say no before i give in & buy my kids somthing.

These are the thing's my kids pestered me today for:

*Ceral becuase it had spiderman & shrek on the box
*coco pop's bar again because it has spiderman on it
*Small box of biscuit's again because it has spiderman & wiggles
*3 pack of bottled water because it has nemo on it
*yoguart it has a big range from lightening Mcqueen, spiderman you name it it's on there.
*Transformer shoes

That was only in 1/2 hour space the kids wanted today at the shop's today, it just seem's that I can't go into the shop's & get 1 simple thing's these day's before the kids are pestering to buy them somthing with there favourite hero or cartoon on it.

Sorry for the rant.
Chelle

Postby kate_turner2000 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:30 pm

i heard the other day on the news that theyre trying to bring in a law/or about to announce a law that they cant use cartoon advertising for 'junk foods' because of the growing number of obese children.

heidi isnt up to that stage yet thank god, but its important that us as parents stay strong and dont give in! lol. it sounds like you are a strong mum chelle and can say 'no' to your kids when they ask for things like that. unfortunately there are parents out there who do say yes for different reasons.
kate_turner2000

Postby Chelle » Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:45 pm

It is hard to say no because it both boy's pestering me & braydon dosen't understand most of the time because of his age so most of the time I walk out of the shop's with braydon crying, but it only last a few second's then he is over it once it is out of site.

You wait for it Kate, it wont be to long before heidi start's.

I wish they would bring in the law soon because it is just getting out of hand there is just to many product's on the shelf that advertise cartoon's.
Chelle

Postby kate_turner2000 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:54 pm

hey chelle

heidi asks for things and i say 'yes you can have a bikkie tomorrow' so she doesnt think i am saying no lol. she throws whopper tantrums if she doesnt get something she wants in the shops and people look at me like im a bad mum but i know deep down that i would be a bad mum for giving in and getting her something thats junk- especially in the long term. treats every so often are fine but every day is not :)
kate_turner2000

Postby Chelle » Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:22 pm

I use to say that to, but josh has cotton on & dosen't believe me anymore.
Chelle

Postby BrokenAngel » Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:43 pm

Argh! My kids do that too! It annoys me so much, everytime I see something like that coming up, I have to try and distract them and make them look the other way! Not an easy task when you're lugging along 3 kids and a trolley!
BrokenAngel

Postby ali » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:23 am

Well I dont have kids so I cant speak from experience, but I understand what you are complaining about.

My bf's dad owns a donut shop and my bf works there so sometimes when Im at his house and he has to work I go in there with him and hang out in the shop (so tempting! Lol)

Anyway, they have a range of fruit DRINKS not juice with all the animated cartoon figures on them and the kids go up to the window and ask for the one with their fav pic on it, they dont even care about the flavour! And they have so much sugar in them, it just disgusts me that they can market these things to kids.

I was thinking that if I ever had kids I would trick them by buying a pack of the drinks with their fav pics on them but tip out the drink and keep the bottles and put healthy stuff in them, they dont care anyway! Maybe an idea for the cereal would be to buy the box but put a different cereal in the box! Lol. I dont know if this would work, as I dont have kids... they might be too smart for that! Lol.

But yeah, I hate how they market these things to kids. It annoys me so much!! Why cant they put these pics on healthy stuff?!! Grr! Its so hard saying no, but its a lot meaner to allow your kids to grow up overweight and unhealthy. Gotta be cruel to be kind! Lol.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w0XqXGi/]
[/url]
GOAL 1: 59KG - 30/12/07
GOAL 2: 56KG
GOAL 3: 53KG
ali

Postby yummymummy » Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:24 pm

kiddy advitising drives me insane, my son wants all the crappy food that have shrek, spiderman,simpsons plus more on then it is a battle each shopping trip to stop my trolley filling p with crap. On the 2 last isle at the coles I shop t has small $4 toy planes cars and what not I just remind him that he can pick out 1 new toy if he leaves all the junk food alone so far its working.
Jody

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w3enhEK/]
[/url]
yummymummy

Postby kate_turner2000 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:49 pm

umm... what happened to the rest of the posts? someone has deleted some
kate_turner2000

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:59 pm

wasn't me (deleting them)

Chelle, just you keep on sticking to your guns. Worst thing you can do is say "no" and then "oh alright" after they throw a tantie - they'll learn that tantrums get them what they want then!!
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Chelle » Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:00 pm

Thank's I do stick to no because I know it is healthier for them & the word no mean's that it dosen't cost me money in the long run.

I didn't even realised that someone has deleted some thing's.
Chelle

Postby kate_turner2000 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:52 pm

yeah someone deleted what tegan wrote about time, and allys response as well
kate_turner2000

Postby Chelle » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:26 pm

Oh OK someone must of deleted it before I got a chance to read it.
Chelle

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:14 pm

very odd.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Ally » Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:59 am

this is shitting me off.......whoever is deleting posts for the fun of it stop being such a little child and find your fun elsewhere.......my post has gone from here since yesterday too......
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Next

Return to Just Chatting