It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:53 pm

Free Newsletter

Disillusioned not with my job but the people

Talk about anything and everything, whether it's related to weight loss or not.

Moderator: Moderators

Disillusioned not with my job but the people

Postby Sassygirl » Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:22 pm

I work in an environment that is nothing short of being back in high school with backstabbers, people talking about you and so much office politics that I hate coming here - but on the other hand I love the work that I do, love the flexibility of the hours here as I have small children who DO get sick every once in a while. My pay is ok (just got a payrise). But I am sick of all the biatching that the WOMEN in this organisation do. I work in Finance closely with 5 others (although on some occasions 1 I don't particulary like) but I guess I am scared of the unknown (at least here I know what I can do and I am good at it etc). I just had a look on seek.com and there are jobs out there but my fear is that I won't get the same compassion from other bosses as I get from mine. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks for listening to my ramblings!!!
2008 - my year to be great!!

Sassygirl

Postby milkyway » Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:40 pm

It's really hard to work in a toxic environment like that Michelle. Eew!

I wouldn't let job flexibility scare you off from approaching other employers or applying for jobs as good employers are well aware the finding AND keeping good staff means providing a flexible work enviornment.

My brother stuck out at a job he liked (but enviornment he hated) for a looong time because it had the flexibility he needed and was close to home as he has 50% custody of his son and needed to be able to pick him up from school several days per week etc. Anyhoo, he is now in a new job, still close to home, getting paid waaay more AND maintains the same level of flexibility :D

So don't let it stop you from giving the job hunt a go :)
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby kate_turner2000 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:14 pm

hey michelle you might as well apply and see whats out there. ive always been told that no matter where you work theres always going to be something you dont like or someone you dont like or someone who doesnt like you. but you never know what opportunities are offered in other jobs until you try out for them ;)
kate_turner2000

Postby yummymummy » Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:22 pm

Its a big move to change jobs but its horrible to hate who you work with . Big decision for you
Jody

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w3enhEK/]
[/url]
yummymummy

Postby sassi » Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:35 pm

hi sassygirl (great name :lol: )

i was a bit the same way - but was more about the actual company more than anything else. everyone thought i had a great deal (lots of flexibility - could get away with working from home etc) but i found that the whole situation was really affecting my happiness & confidence.

after i'd been there about 3 years i applied for & got another job but then chickened out on leaving (much the same as you - some good perks & it was my comfort zone). after almost 7 years with them i finally left in april this year. i was worried about the unknown, but then decided i would go to a temp agency and see what they might be able to offer.

It turned out they had heaps of work & could offer me something ASAP. it was a pretty good job & I’ve just been offered the opportunity to become perm.

It was a good way to do it as I had the chance to see whether I’d like working here before I actually had to commit to anything! Dunno if that works for you because I don’t have any kids & I can understand if you can’t take the risk of temping/contract work.
sassi

Postby oostevens » Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:22 pm

My last job sucked.

I was bored most of the time, and the boss who had his office in the same room as mine (although he wasnt always there) was not very friendly, and it was uncomfortable being there.

The business was a tad dodgy, the boss was dating one of the workers and of course they got special treatmeant lol and my close friends either left (cos they hate it) or got made redundent.

I ended up getting in trouble for looking for a job while working ha ha and had a choice to quit or be fired lol i quit.

I didnt have much luck with a job for a while, but just before chrissie i got a temp job which was a miracle, cos i had money for presents and stuff.

While i was still at this temp job, a company called me up (one i had applied for a job at a while bak) and said the person they hired didnt work out, and offered me the job as receptionist.

I took it.

People told me that you will never love where u work, and never get the one job you want.

I say baloney!

I love my job, i love the people, i have heaps of fun!

I use to always try and have sick days at my other job cos i hated it and was depressed half the time cos i wanted to quit, but here, i have only had 1 sick day!!!

The time seems to fly by here, my last job i was there 5mths and it felt like years, this job, i have been here 7mths and it has felt like a day.

So i say, look for a job i mean you don't always have to accept an offer, but you may find a great one :)

Good luck
[*RACHEL*]

YOU CAN DOOO IT!!!!!

[First goal: to reach 80kgs]
[Second goal: to reach 75kgs]

oostevens

Postby reester33 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:46 am

Hey Michelle it's not just the women that can be a back-stabbing bunch!! :lol: Don't get me wrong, it's a great place to work and we have a HEAP of fun....but gossip and backstabbing is rife!

I went from a mostly female workplace, to a mostly male workplace...and I have never seen (or heard) anything like it. I think some people just have WAY too much time on their hands!! And it makes it difficult to trust anyone you work with, I know.

Hang in there and if you really feel that you can't stand it any more...look for greener pastures.

:) Maree

I WAS EATING MYSELF TO DEATH WITH A KNIFE AND FORK!
reester33

Postby Fireball » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:43 pm

Michelle just happens in one of my many roles, I was a vocational consultant. My belief on this stuff is that nothing stays the same. Your workpplace will cahnge as people come & go over time, but if you're not happy in your workplace it's time to start looking around. If you stay in a place and you're not happy in the long run it is liable to affect your productivty, quality of work, health etc. This doesn't mean you have to quit your current job and run off blindly into what ever is on offer. I find once people start looking, often good opportunities are there waiting for them. What do you really love doing? Assess what your skills are and what you are looking for. Look in the jobs section and see what is on offer - what appeals to you. Do you have the skills to do it now or with just a little training or would you like to make a total change in what you are doing? I set a goal to have shorter work hours on the same pay. I read the papers, applied for a few jobs I didn't get (but that is fine - it is all practice). Then one came up that really excited me which I got. So within 6 months I had found a job extending my skills a bit. I loved it. More money for working 4 days a week than my previous job working 5 days a week and my new boss loved me - they'd had problems satisfactorially filling the role till I turned up - I just had the skills mix they desperately needed.

As for the back stabbing etc. I've always had a policy not to repeat/gossip about anyone at work. Ask yourself - Is it true? Is it fair? Is it of benefit? If not it isn't worth your time.

"Unknowingly, we plow the dust of the stars, blown about us by the wind, and drink the universe in a glass of rain."
Ihab Hassan
Fireball

Return to Just Chatting