It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:43 am

Free Newsletter

Am I too old?

Talk about anything and everything, whether it's related to weight loss or not.

Moderator: Moderators

Am I too old?

Postby electrongirl » Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:36 pm

I really love some of the fashion thats out there these days and I can't wait to get thin so I can look good in them.

Then I read someones post in another thread who is alot younger than me saying that they felt they were too old to wear the funky things that are in these days....

I am 31. I have spent the majority of my 20's overweight so I never got the chance to wear all the latest trends.

Am I kidding myself? Will I look ridiculous?

Please be honest and tell me what you guys think.
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby soon2bayummymummy » Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:44 pm

I seen a lady last wk who would be about 60 or so and was wearing a suit jacket and a skirt with high heals and was getting her nails done as her hubby was going away for the wk/end so she was hitting the town with all of her girlfriends and had just had her hair done as well. Whats the point- she made me realise that your as old as u let yourself look. So wear whatever and spoil yourself and look confident and dont care what others think.
soon2bayummymummy

Postby *KaTe* » Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:00 pm

In my opinion age is just a number. If you keep telling yourself, "im old...im getting older...im too old..." then you will be old! Be positive and your mind will stay young! Wear whatever you want! Ya only live once and if your interested in the fashion these days then wear it! :D

SMILE!!
*KaTe*

Postby kate_turner2000 » Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:35 pm

i think if you feel comfortable wearing something then dont let it stop you !! i know myself that i cant wear strappy things or things that show a bit of back because i have bad skin and it embarrasses me. i also have awful tuck shop lady arms that will never go away without surgery so i know i wont look as good in certain clothes as other girls my age (early 20's) there are women in their 30's (which is the new 20's ;) ) who look hotter than i ever would! but i think there is a fine line to women who dress in the latest fashion and women who are mutton dressed as lamb LOL. you sound like a fashion consious person nikki and i think you will have a great sense of style when you feel comfortable wearing the latest fashion either now or when you reach your goal weight.
kate_turner2000

Postby electrongirl » Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:56 pm

awww thanks guys....

I feel so much better now!!! Now I can look forward to my goal weight shopping spree again!!

:D
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby vanessa0305 » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:55 pm

I am 33 and I am wearing some of the latest trends. I love skinny Jeans with boots over the top. I don't care if I am too old I love them.
Vanessa

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/woi7sgh/]
[/url]
vanessa0305

Postby electrongirl » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:12 pm

oh Vanessa I love that look too!!

I love my boots and can't wait to wear them again... pity it will be too hot soon!!

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby charlimc » Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:00 pm

i think age is just a number, if you wear something that you feel you look good in then thats the main thing :)
Charli x
charlimc

Postby madeline » Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:40 pm

It depends. 31 is certainly not old. But then again, there are some clothes and shops which are strictly for teenagers. Even 20 somethings will feel like mutton dressed as lamb.

I think there's absolutely nothing wrong with being fashionable. There was an article in Vogue a couple of months back about a 98 year old woman who dressed immaculately. That was truely inspirational. There is a difference between what is "in" and what is fashionable. Very little that is "in" looks good on someone who isn't 18, 5"10 and 110 pounds. You are never too old to be stylish and fashionable, but some garments aren't meant to be worn by anyone who isn't a model.
"Ððñ'† µ wï§h ¥ðµr gïrl£rïêñÐ wå§ hð† lïkê mê, Ððñ'† ¥å ßåߥ ;)"
CW- 57kgs, GW- 53kgs (8kgs lost!)
madeline

Postby Bread-Monster » Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:04 pm

Let me tell you a story.

I happen to be the daughter of a very beautiful, sexy bachelorette of a mother. She has men throwing themselves at her beck and call (and I remember fondly that one of her suitors was a young US Marine gunnery sergeant 10 years her senior). Now, my mother is slightly overweight, just slightly. She refuses to do exercise (to my dismay), she insists on eating everything under the sun when she goes abroad (And then wonders why she's putting on weight) and she insists on going to dangerous countries, such as North Korea, for her holidays.
Anyway, I'm straying from the point. My mother is turning 42 on the 10th of September. She has nicer skin than me, she wears make up, fashionable clothes and she shakes her head at my fashion choices and tell me I look frumpy. She takes me out to salsa nightclubs and she is wonderful, infact, she's gotten more and more and more beautiful with age.
When she was younger she had a harsh childhood being the youngest of 16 sibblings (and her family was poor). she only started living a few years ago and I have never seen her so radiant and beautiful.

Age means nothing. My mother is possibly younger than I am, I just have a young body but she has a young mind. She loves fashionable clothes and make up and she's not afraid to admit that she's sexy. I think of lot of you supposedly "old" girls out there should learn a thing or two from her about living your life and not give a crap about what other people think.
Current weight 50.4kg
Current Fat % 13.5%

Fat % 14.0%

-Si vis Pacem Para bellum-
Bread-Monster

Postby HappyBella55 » Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:01 pm

Sometimes there are certain clothing that women should stay clear off. No matter how young or old they feel. Yes it is a confidence thing but there are times when you see women walking past and you think 'mutton dressed as lamb'. Come on I can't be the only one that thinks that.

In saying that though, if you want to wear trendy clothes there is nothing wrong with that but just know your limit. Like Madeline says there are certain stores that definitely cater for the younger age group. There are a lot of designers out there funking up their looks to suit the older age group. I love clothes from Cue and Veronica May but can't wear them as I feel like I'm playing dress up as I mostly live in jeans and polo shirts, and I see a lot of ladies wearing them and can't wait till I'm out of uni working to be able to wear corporate gear.
Start weight - 77kgs
Goal weight - 53kgs
Current Weight - 50.1kgs

No more weighing, no more scales. My measurement is my success at health. It's an investment I make every single day. My priority: be healthy!
HappyBella55

Postby electrongirl » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:49 pm

I'm definately not going to go shopping at places like Roads or Sportsgirl etc.

I like stuff from Cue, Myer, Portmans, Witchery etc.

I find alot of the fashion teenagers are into a bit strange anyway... ugg boots with denim mini skirts?? just too weird for me!!

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby shelbel » Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:07 pm

LOL I agree with you there Nik, maybe its just cos im getting older though!

I think go for it, but be classy about it. And wear what you are comfy in and not just because its 'in'. thats the only advice an unfashionable person like me can give! LOL
Highest Weight - 93kgs
Current Weight - 68.3kgs
Goal Weight - 65kgs

The wise man Stephen King once said - The only way to go on, is to go on. To say 'i can do this' even when you know you cant

You'll find me in the almost there section :)
shelbel

Postby Fireball » Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:53 am

Hey Nikki

I heard a saying many years ago, it was old fashioned even then but I've adopted it because it is so true.

Mutton dressed as lamb gets people tut-tutting
But there's nothing quite as bad as mutton dressed as mutton.

"Unknowingly, we plow the dust of the stars, blown about us by the wind, and drink the universe in a glass of rain."
Ihab Hassan
Fireball

Postby Fireball » Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:01 am

Oh Bella, I just re-read some posts and saw what you said about mutton dressed as lamb. :o I didn't know it was there, honest. lol
But i stand by my mutton statement. What if Tina Turner listened to someone who said you're too old to wear those high heels...

"Unknowingly, we plow the dust of the stars, blown about us by the wind, and drink the universe in a glass of rain."
Ihab Hassan
Fireball

Next

Return to Just Chatting