It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:59 am

Free Newsletter

Body Image Forum

Talk about anything and everything, whether it's related to weight loss or not.

Moderator: Moderators

Body Image Forum

Postby Bread-Monster » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:32 pm

I saw it on ACA today. A forum full of women from "all walks of life" talking about body image. Among these women were an actress, a super model, a magazine fashion editor and some fashion designers. All walks of life, my arse.

Anyway, I reckon we can conduct a better forum on body image. We have a broad cross section of society here, so chip in your two cents.

Are women nowadays more unhappy with their body image than...say 50 years ago? If so, why?
Current weight 50.4kg
Current Fat % 13.5%

Fat % 14.0%

-Si vis Pacem Para bellum-
Bread-Monster

Postby oostevens » Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:40 pm

i reckon yes.

these days you have all those celebrities and models who keep getting thinner and thinner and there are so many girls who are trying to be like that and if you aren't then you are on the outside.

When i was at school, all my friends were smaller and slimmer than me, i wanted to be like that too, but i never did ha ha

Also, i have seen many youth going through body image problems and depression because of that, and body image not only about weight but about the whole body, and that can be a scary place to go.

Media is all around us, music, movies, tv, magazines, and how often do u see girls that are looking like normal every day girls or women?

Back 50yrs ago, wasn't it a GOOD thing to be voluptuous? and curvy? wasn't Marilyn Munroe around back then? she wasn't small.

Nowadays we have even celebrities getting smaller and smaller, and its not cool.

yeah all i can think of at the moment :p that's my two cents
[*RACHEL*]

YOU CAN DOOO IT!!!!!

[First goal: to reach 80kgs]
[Second goal: to reach 75kgs]

oostevens

Postby kate_turner2000 » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:05 am

i think 50 years ago bigger was better. the models and celebrities seemed to be bigger in size and being voluptuous is what men admired. for example marilyn monroe who was an australian size 14. i was watching an elvis movie on telly the other day and the women in that werent nicole ritchie thin they seemed to be fuller figured but still looked beautiful. a lot of emphasis is on smaller women these days as role models and i think if these role models put on an ounce of fat theyre scrutinised or the media implies that theyre pregnant. as a teenager i was never one to base my favourite celebrities on their bodys. i liked them for what they did.
i.e.
Hanson- big crush!
Dawsons Creek- loved the show!
Tina Arena- beautiful singer and gorgeous personality (ive met her)

etc etc.

personally i dont like thin body types with protruding bones like paris, keira knightly etc. it doesnt mean i dont like keira personally, i just dont see her body as beautiful. it must be the arty side of me coming out after having to study renaissance art and that bigger women in the painting and sculptures were admired. :)
kate_turner2000

Postby oostevens » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:33 am

I AGREE, oops (caps) people who are boney are not in my eyes attractive, they look more malnurished and sick.

skinny and toned, like an athlete is ok because its not boney and small and tinsy and unatural.

i prefer curvs too, but yeah bigger was better :p now its smaller is sexier :s stupid world ha ha
[*RACHEL*]

YOU CAN DOOO IT!!!!!

[First goal: to reach 80kgs]
[Second goal: to reach 75kgs]

oostevens

Postby madeline » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:53 am

I agree protruding bones are not attractive, however I think muscle is, long lean muscle along the legs and arms.

I also do not think large fake boobs are attractive, with all the women becoming stick thin then running to the surgeon to get implants...

As a young woman... I can honestly say I only started worrying about my body when I was about 17, and it was only to worry about wanting skinnier legs (I was a swimmer so uh... not going to happen :D )

I have never wanted bigger boobs (I'm a B cup), and I am very happy with most aspects of my body, however my legs still do worry me and now my arms because as I said I like the look of toned muscle along the arms and right now my arms are more like britney's post-baby arms :?
"Ððñ'† µ wï§h ¥ðµr gïrl£rïêñÐ wå§ hð† lïkê mê, Ððñ'† ¥å ßåߥ ;)"
CW- 57kgs, GW- 53kgs (8kgs lost!)
madeline

Postby kate_turner2000 » Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:04 am

ewww did you see britney at those awards ! she is a disaster in my eyes LOL

victoria beckham doesnt appeal to me. she did when she was in the spice girls before she got with david beckham
kate_turner2000

Postby grugwashere » Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:50 pm

I think curvier is better, in reference to maddie about britneys arms, i dont think britney was ever "big" not even when she had just had her babies, she just wasnt as thin as she used to be but the media has infulenced people to refer to her as a large person... it really bothers me the way magazines are calling people who weight 65kilos fat... then they wonder why people starve themselves to be thin?
SW:91kg
CW:75kg
GW: Somwhere in the 60's for now

Next mini goal:73kg
grugwashere

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:15 pm

I can't take magazines seriously when on one page they run a story about the problem with anorexia and some poor woman's struggle to overcome this devastating disease (or whatever hyperbole they feel like using) then on the very next page have a spread on which celebrities have packed on the pounds (or equally vomitous headline)

Give me a freaking break already.

This is why I don't read magazines. the only ones I read are at the doc surgery and have to do with house and garden renos.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby hushpuppy » Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:39 pm

i agree with u Kate The renaissance period is where i think my body should be lol those dresses were just made for me to show off the boobs and hide all the other parts . Thats where i would like to move in history study . Also the 1940,50s where we had the Marilyn munroe ect they looked healty and were curvy REAL women none of the stick stuff or the lollypop on legs look
Jules
[url=http://www..com]Image[blinkiebee/url]
SW 107kg
CW 99.8kg
GW 65kg
hushpuppy

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:02 pm

most guys I know don't much like the stick thin look. They joke that they would be too scared to...hug, let's say...them in case they snapped in half.

is it possible that women are caught in a spiral of striving to be thin, judging others on the basis of how thin they are and then the media panders to that with "buy x product and you can look like a coathanger too" and then that makes women strive to be thinner again?
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby kate_turner2000 » Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:09 pm

hushpuppy wrote:i agree with u Kate The renaissance period is where i think my body should be lol those dresses were just made for me to show off the boobs and hide all the other parts . Thats where i would like to move in history study . Also the 1940,50s where we had the Marilyn munroe ect they looked healty and were curvy REAL women none of the stick stuff or the lollypop on legs look
Jules

PMSL lolly pop on legs!! its true!! kate winslet in titanic blew me away with her body, i thought she was great! the birth of venus- wonderful! the mona lisa - wonderful!
kate_turner2000

Postby hushpuppy » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:43 pm

heh thats what my mate calls vic beckam cause she has a huge head and skinny legs lol looks like a lollypop
Jules
[url=http://www..com]Image[blinkiebee/url]
SW 107kg
CW 99.8kg
GW 65kg
hushpuppy

Postby Bread-Monster » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:32 pm

I reckon women have a lot of pressure on them to be the perfect everything. When they think they don't live up to expectations, they take it out on their bodies. They see successful women, mostly models and actresses on TV and they feel inadequate. They link physical beauty with success and thus it begins, the cycle of self-loathing and dieting and abuse.

Truth is, women can be successful without relying on their physical appearance. There are plenty of successful women, they don't get much recognition because...well...they're not "cool". Did you know the most famous female scientists were mostly Astronauts with double degrees in engineering and physics? No, I bet you didn't. These women aren't "cool" because they're not popstars or models. Women don't become astronauts or scientists or politicians. They're pretty things to be oggled at and have babies and be witty and charming and have a high salary.

In some ways, I reckon women brought this on themselves. They buy the fashion magazines with the skinny models, they insist on buying into society's ideal of beauty and they strive for the unattainable. I feel so much better when I don't watch mainstream television, or read magazines or go shopping, I feel so much better about myself. Then I turn on the TV and instantly I have society telling me how inadequate I am, how it doesn't make a difference if I graduate with a double degree in Engineering and science, or that I'm an army reservist because in the end society would not acknowledge a woman who's anything but skinny, busty, vain and stupid. ARGH! Humans are dumb!!! :evil:
Current weight 50.4kg
Current Fat % 13.5%

Fat % 14.0%

-Si vis Pacem Para bellum-
Bread-Monster

Return to Just Chatting