It is currently Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:16 pm

Free Newsletter

get paid for losing weight!

Talk about anything and everything, whether it's related to weight loss or not.

Moderator: Moderators

get paid for losing weight!

Postby kate_turner2000 » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:02 am

Postby HappyBella55 » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:56 am

It sounds good in paper but in reality will it actually work?

Sure there is an obesity crisis in Australia and there are many overweight and obese people out there who will go along with the doctors recommendation to follow the 12 week programme. But I have come to realise no matter how much you wish to lose weight you need to have a burning desire to change your lifestyle completely: outlooks, change your way of thinking, a good support network, a healthy stable environment, healthy eating and exercise.

Although this is at preliminary stage $170 just isn't enough in my opinion. It will only cover the cost of joining the programme but what about healthy foods (IMP the are more expensive than junk) or buying that slimming clubs particular food product (ie Tony Furgeson, Jenny Craig, Weight Watchers etc), exercise and medical expenses....hmmmm

This just sounds like an election promise which may never eventuate.....

Gosh I'm just wafting on I've just woken up so I may go 'Bella what point are you trying to make' lol
Start weight - 77kgs
Goal weight - 53kgs
Current Weight - 50.1kgs

No more weighing, no more scales. My measurement is my success at health. It's an investment I make every single day. My priority: be healthy!

Postby BusyMum » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:50 am

I found it interesting too. But in reality I really dont think it would work. Like Bella said, $170 does not even cover half the expenses of loosing weight and maintaining a healthy lifestyle and I totally agree that it is way cheaper to buy junk than healthy foods. I posted in the have your say part at the bottom but it hasnt been put on there. I can feed my family on sausages and macaroni and cheese and junk food for theweek for less than $100. But if I fill my trolley with fresh fruit and veg, lean meats, and healthy snacks, I have no problem spending in excess of $200!! It is no wonder that they have linked obesity to low income in my opinion!! There is the reason right there!!
Mum to 2 girls, 22months, and 6 months.

Postby lng86 » Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:25 am

A perfect example is milk...

Full cream milk - much cheaper option

Light milk - a lot more expensive

I have mixed emotions about this topic... Mainly because it is up to an individual to make correct choices for themselves. No one stuffed the food into our mouths but us! I'm glad that the government wants to help change the obesity crisis... There is just no simple answer!
To succeed you need to find something to hold on to, something to motivate you, something to inspire you - Myself (Lauren)

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:44 am

well I think my view on this topic has been made clear in other places. In my experience healthy eating has always been cheaper. But I thik it depends on how you do it.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Postby Ally » Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:25 pm

I have to agree Tegan...I would always whinge that we "couldn't afford" to eat healthy then one day after putting the usual couple of blocks of choccies, chips etc in the trolley, we walked around to the fruit aisle and they had heaps of fruit on special....I thought Oh if only I could afford that.....I thought for a minute and added up what the junk food in our trolley was worth and promptly put it all back on the shelf and walked out of the store with enough fruit to feed the 6 of us for 4 days with the same sort of money it was going to cost to shove crap down our necks for maybe one or two nights!! It is all about careful planning.

Postby hushpuppy » Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:56 pm

i agree we now have a green grocer here and i buy my veges there and for 15$ it last me two weeks so its a bargin .I usd to think that buying fresh was dear but have found out otherwise
Oh yeah and the farmers markets are great fruit bargins too nad fresh as
SW 107kg
CW 99.8kg
GW 65kg

Postby Suminoya Buffet » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:41 am

I'm not sure it is such a good idea.

Why not pay illiterate people to learn how to read and write.

I understand that weight-related medical sets the government back millions of dollars a year, but I really don't see a relatively small amount of money motivating people to shift weight for too long, in the long run.

I know it's hard, but I just feel this is something people should be doing it for themselves, not for financial incentives.
Suminoya Buffet

Postby help6363 » Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:58 pm

I like the idea of paying people to lose weight........ good motivation for some people.

In saying that, it would not have worked for me.......I had to be ready to do!

Doesn't mean it would not work for others.

Return to Just Chatting