It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:21 am

Free Newsletter

Scoring Well in Exams

Talk about anything and everything, whether it's related to weight loss or not.

Moderator: Moderators

Scoring Well in Exams

Postby Bread-Monster » Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:03 pm

Hey guys, exams are coming up, my first one is on the 26th of October: Thermodynamics. I've been stressing out lately because...well, I suck at Thermo. I know all the tips on how to study and do well, but I haven't been implementing those since year 12, and year 12 didn't even get me fantastic results (Still good, but not good enough) when I did implement those, so I was wondering if you have any tips, I'll forward my own tips for when I was in year 12 (two years ago)

Sleep exactly 8 hours a night, no more, no less.

Study before breakfast for 30 minutes. Get dressed, go for a walk for 20 minutes, eat breakfast, study for another 30 minutes.

Always have a cup of tea on hand, it has the chemicals that help you think, I believe they're call L-theanine. Lock yourself in your room, set an alarm and study for no more than 45 minutes per period. Take a 15 minute break to do other stuff.

Eat light meals throughout the day, ignore big meals because they can divert blood from your brain.

Do those problems until you can do them in your sleep!

After 4 periods, take a break, go for a run/swim/walk/bike ride/shower/etc.

Study on a whiteboard, will save you paper and will make you feel smarter.

Put pieces of paper with equations and their meanings all over the house. This will annoy your parents, but it works.
Current weight 50.4kg
Current Fat % 13.5%

Fat % 14.0%

-Si vis Pacem Para bellum-
Bread-Monster

Postby help6363 » Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:16 pm

Good luck in your exams............. I am sure you will do well! :D

Oh, can you let us know when you get your fantastic grades?

What are you studying?
help6363

Postby HappyBella55 » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:03 pm

your study techniques are so different from mine.

What works for me is this:

I write up comprehensive notes - from lecture material, tutorials and readings.

I then highlight the most important key points. With those key points I put them in a flow chart type diagram. This helps me remember everything.

I don't like to cram before exams or study the day of. What you don't know before then you aren't going to know it by cramming it just make you panic and push other info out :?

I also do flash card: on one side put the key word and on the other side put definition/whatever I need to know.

This has helped me and I've done really well.
Start weight - 77kgs
Goal weight - 53kgs
Current Weight - 50.1kgs

No more weighing, no more scales. My measurement is my success at health. It's an investment I make every single day. My priority: be healthy!
HappyBella55

Postby Bread-Monster » Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:19 pm

I'm studying Fluid Mechanics 1, Thermodynamics, Differential Equations with Modelling and Physics: Optics and Electromagnetism. I guess different studying techniques apply for different things. My Course is mostly about numbers and logical analysis, most other courses are about what you can remember and regurgitate.
Current weight 50.4kg
Current Fat % 13.5%

Fat % 14.0%

Bread-Monster

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:03 am

Everyone studies differently, there are 3 types of learners - Visual, Auditory and Kinaesthethic. Visual obviously learns by watching, auditory by listening and kinaesthetic from doing. So depending on which type of learner you are depends on how you study best :) For me it's lots of colour coding different areas, flow charts and diagrams, and repeating things out loud to myself a LOT until I don't have to look at my book anymore at all.

Eeeek, now I'm scared about uni next year :P:P
zeedeveelgirl

Postby kate_turner2000 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:34 am

we were allowed to eat and drink in the hsc :)

and my final exam- drama (the written test) was the day of my formal- lots of running around!!
kate_turner2000

Postby HappyBella55 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:02 am

Bread-Monster its not just regurgitation of definitions - what's the point of attending uni - any jo blog of the street can do that. It's about analysing facts, problem solving, application, critical analysis, in turn showing the marker how you apply what you have learnt.

I don't want to start an argument with you :D but it really irks me how you dismiss anything which is not maths and science based to be easier and less important. All disciplines are different yes. Everyone has their different learning styles. You asked for study tips :D .

Plus not everyone on this forum are in the same demographics: uni students, early 20's and live at home :)
Start weight - 77kgs
Goal weight - 53kgs
Current Weight - 50.1kgs

No more weighing, no more scales. My measurement is my success at health. It's an investment I make every single day. My priority: be healthy!
HappyBella55

Postby ali » Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:27 pm

I agree Bella, my bf does engineering and his bro does pre-med and because its all maths and science based they think it must be so much harder than my degree which is arts based, but I find it really hard to get good marks in arts, especially because there is no right or wrong so its hard to know what the marker is asking you to do/what they are looking for. Its hard! Especially all the analysis/interpretation/evaluation etc! :roll:

But I think all degrees are hard in their own way.

Oh, and I suck at study so I have no study tips! Lol.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w0XqXGi/]
[/url]
GOAL 1: 59KG - 30/12/07
GOAL 2: 56KG
GOAL 3: 53KG
ali

Postby HappyBella55 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:42 pm

I agree ali. With maths and science based subjects there is a right or wrong answer but with other disciplines there is no right or wrong answer it's how you answer and interpret the question, and whether you can back up your argument with authoritative sources etc etc.

And with my degree I'd done the whole range - accounting (and I hate maths :twisted: ) to law to sociology and history subjects (as electives which I loved :D )

But yeah no one degree is harder than the other. It's what one excels at that makes it easy or hard :D
Start weight - 77kgs
Goal weight - 53kgs
Current Weight - 50.1kgs

HappyBella55

Postby Bread-Monster » Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:53 pm

HappyBella55 wrote:Bread-Monster its not just regurgitation of definitions - what's the point of attending uni - any jo blog of the street can do that. It's about analysing facts, problem solving, application, critical analysis, in turn showing the marker how you apply what you have learnt.

I don't want to start an argument with you :D but it really irks me how you dismiss anything which is not maths and science based to be easier and less important. All disciplines are different yes. Everyone has their different learning styles. You asked for study tips :D .

Plus not everyone on this forum are in the same demographics: uni students, early 20's and live at home :)

I'm sorry if I sounded snobby or mean but the fact is I didn't say your course was not hard or even implied it :(! I didn't dismiss anything either. I find remembering things to be extraordinarily difficult since I have the memory of a goldfish hence the analytical, technical, logical and number crunching nature of math and engineering works in my favour.

The reason why I may think Arts is so popular is because you can just make stuff up. Really, you can find meanings in things that may not have any meaning to it whatsoever and you would get a great big HD for it. I refused to play that game in the English exam (may have written something quite inflammatory) and needless to say, I did very badly. You make stuff up in maths your lecturer will staple Hungry Jacks application forms to your test paper with a great big F .
Current weight 50.4kg
Current Fat % 13.5%

Fat % 14.0%

Bread-Monster

Postby loveat116 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:01 pm

I find Maths, and the sciences very easy, as with geography.

I had the MOST problem with English, Drama, Art, and other subjects like that because I really have no depth to me. And A lot of people dont have a great imagination and a way with words.

Maths and Science is just a crap load of information you have to remember, and there are formulas that you follow to work everything out! Its not like that with English and other Arts subjects, its not "just making things up" its WAY more hard than that, you have to formulate ideas and back them up, and they have to have depth and meaning.

I find maths simple compared to that.

People have talents in different areas, Bread Monster you need to understand people are really passionate about the areas they are studying, so you cant really say they are making everything up.
Starting Weight: 62kg Current Weight: 55.0kg Goal Weight: 54kg

Goal Reached 22 February 2008, Must get down to 54kg again!
loveat116

Postby HappyBella55 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:07 pm

That's cool Bread-Monster :D

I agree to an extent with what you've said - yes you can argue any point but you have to back up your argument with authoritative peer reviewed articles. So if there is no authoritative source there is no argument, the markers will fail you.

After my first semester of uni I quickly learnt that uni students don't have ideas everything in assignments have to backed up with a reference otherwise you fail for plagiarism.

It's very hard to make things up and get away with it - unless you are doing creative writing courses :D
Start weight - 77kgs
Goal weight - 53kgs
Current Weight - 50.1kgs

HappyBella55

Postby kate_turner2000 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:09 pm

im passionate about the arts but i suck at maths :P
kate_turner2000

Postby oostevens » Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:49 pm

well i dropped out of uni after about 3months :) so i am the worst person to talk to about study!

although.......i might post a question later about my future and study to see what u guys think i should do....

but thats later ;)

yeah i was a crammer, and it didnt work for me at all :s
[*RACHEL*]

YOU CAN DOOO IT!!!!!

[First goal: to reach 80kgs]
[Second goal: to reach 75kgs]

oostevens

Postby Fireball » Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:41 pm

Bread-Monster. Just reading your subjects, yowel. You must be a genius. hehe Thermodynamics is a beaut!!

I'm supposed to be doing a science degree. I want to study physics but only did yr 10 maths and physics so I've taken 2 years off to study maths. I've done stuff all. Much as I want to do it I just can't find the time and when I have a little time find it too overwhelming to get started. I still don't know near enough and I find myself buried with work. (We have our own busines and often work 6 or 7 days a week.)

So to someone who is actually doing it, Good Luck!

"Unknowingly, we plow the dust of the stars, blown about us by the wind, and drink the universe in a glass of rain."
Ihab Hassan
Fireball

Next

Return to Just Chatting