It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:37 pm

Free Newsletter

Books!

Talk about anything and everything, whether it's related to weight loss or not.

Moderator: Moderators

Books!

Postby KarinAnn » Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:18 pm

I'm a huge fan of reading books. Just read Jillaroo by Rachael Treasure and Valley of the white gold by Tony Parsons. Loved them both to the stage i am going to buy more books from these authors. Was curious if anyone knew of any other good Australian authors? Not that i have a problem with reading from other places, just going thru an Australian author stage at the moment.

**I can and WILL do this**
KarinAnn

Postby oostevens » Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:26 pm

John Marsden :) he wrote the 'when the war began' series and the one that follows that 'ellie chronicles' (bout kids who go camping and come bak and aus has been invaded and they have to survive on their own - its my fav 2 series)

But he has written other books and i seem to like his writing :)
[*RACHEL*]

YOU CAN DOOO IT!!!!!

[First goal: to reach 80kgs]
[Second goal: to reach 75kgs]

oostevens

Postby shelbel » Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:57 pm

Di Morrisey is a good one.

Ive read a few Bryce Courtney books, not all are set in oz, but i didnt care too much for his style. I read alot and am making my way through the angus and robertson top 100, its hard work! :D
Highest Weight - 93kgs
Current Weight - 68.3kgs
Goal Weight - 65kgs

The wise man Stephen King once said - The only way to go on, is to go on. To say 'i can do this' even when you know you cant

You'll find me in the almost there section :)
shelbel

Postby kate_turner2000 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:59 pm

mick loves matthew reilly

i love the harry potter books (never did at first - took some time to get involved in them)

v c andrews- she wrote the flowers in the attic books- love them all
kate_turner2000

Postby matchbox » Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:50 pm

oostevens wrote:John Marsden :) he wrote the 'when the war began' series and the one that follows that 'ellie chronicles' (bout kids who go camping and come bak and aus has been invaded and they have to survive on their own - its my fav 2 series)

i COMPLETELY agree with this - john marsden is my absolute FAVOURITE author!! i looove these 2 series' and also 'letters from the inside' is excellent. hell, all of his books are :P he's definately worth a read.
Have FAITH in yourself
matchbox

Postby Rustie » Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:52 pm

matchbox wrote:
oostevens wrote:John Marsden :) he wrote the 'when the war began' series and the one that follows that 'ellie chronicles' (bout kids who go camping and come bak and aus has been invaded and they have to survive on their own - its my fav 2 series)

i COMPLETELY agree with this - john marsden is my absolute FAVOURITE author!! i looove these 2 series' and also 'letters from the inside' is excellent. hell, all of his books are :P he's definately worth a read.

I loved those books aswell!! I have read the harry potter ones aswell(2 more to read)
Currently i have heaps on the go
1. Harry Potter
2. The Secret
3. How to teach your child to read
4. Additive Alert
5. Clinical Nutrition

Also want to read How to raise Boys and Girl which are sitting in my book case!! I have been so slack with reading lately.

SW: 80kg
CW: 78.5kg
GW: 60kg
Rustie

Postby KarinAnn » Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:45 pm

Thanks for all the replies.. I have written down the names suggested and will go have a looksee..

KarinAnn

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:46 pm

If you want something light and easy to read, Kerry Greenwood does a fantastic series of books!
1st one is called Earthly Delights, then Heavenly Pleasures, then Devils Food, then umm.. ah crap I can't remember the one that's just come out..
It's about a lady who owns a bakery and there's always mini-mysteries happening too!
zeedeveelgirl

Postby shelbel » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:38 pm

Dont you hate it when you cant remember the name of things like books, and you want to ask for it in a bookstore, but you know if you say 'im looking for a book, cant remember the name, or who wrote it, but this and this happens' their gonna look at you weird because it could be 1 of a thousand books in the store! :roll:

And then it bugs you for days because you cant think of the name!!! LOL
Highest Weight - 93kgs
Current Weight - 68.3kgs
Goal Weight - 65kgs

The wise man Stephen King once said - The only way to go on, is to go on. To say 'i can do this' even when you know you cant

shelbel

Postby KarinAnn » Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:13 pm

shelbel wrote:Dont you hate it when you cant remember the name of things like books, and you want to ask for it in a bookstore, but you know if you say 'im looking for a book, cant remember the name, or who wrote it, but this and this happens' their gonna look at you weird because it could be 1 of a thousand books in the store! :roll:

And then it bugs you for days because you cant think of the name!!! LOL

hahaha I've done that with a song before.. and could only remember the do do do do part to the song.. Found out that's to days on google that it was the Song tom's Diner.

KarinAnn

Postby shelbel » Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:19 pm

The net is handy for those types if things! We once spent about 2 hours trying to find out the name of a song, it took so long because we had the words all wrong and no idea who sung it! But we still found it!! That song had plagued me for years too! LOL (it was Respect by Pantera, yes exbogan chick!)
Highest Weight - 93kgs
Current Weight - 68.3kgs
Goal Weight - 65kgs

shelbel

Postby Bread-Monster » Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:42 pm

Hmm, the books I have enjoyed:

All of Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles, especially Blood and Gold

Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Doestovsky (sp?)

Radical Son - David Horowitz

Vile France - Dennis Boyle

Fat and Proud (forgot the author)

Tanks (and other fighting vehicles) - Ray Hutchins

SAS survivol guide (forgot the author)

I haven't really sat down I read a book all the way through. I have no time and I prefer non-fiction. I'm the only person in the physics section at Borders.
:(
Current weight 50.4kg
Current Fat % 13.5%

Fat % 14.0%

-Si vis Pacem Para bellum-
Bread-Monster

Postby ali » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:15 am

I agree with some of the girls about John Marsden - I love the "Tomorrow when the war began series" and the "Ellie chronicles" and also "Letter from the inside" however as I have gotten older (first read them in primary skl) Ive noticed how they are more for young teens... But still a great read! But not if you're looking for something more "adulty" (hehe made that one up, lol)

I also love Harry Potter!

But, I must say, my favourite series of all time is by Paullina Simmons (not Australian) and the books are called "The Bronze Horseman", "The Bridge to Holy Cross" and "The Summer Gardens" - They are the best books ever!!!!!

They are set in Russia during WWII and its a mix between romance, war and kinda historical because it gives you a really moving insight into what the Russian civilians had to endure during the Leningrad blockade. I love history so that helps, but even if you dont, its such an emotional and well written story, soooo good! And everyone I know who has read them loved them as well! Might be more of a girls book though. Lol. I would recommend them to anyone!!!!!! :D
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w0XqXGi/]
[/url]
GOAL 1: 59KG - 30/12/07
GOAL 2: 56KG
GOAL 3: 53KG
ali

Return to Just Chatting