It is currently Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:18 pm

Free Newsletter

Talk about anything and everything, whether it's related to weight loss or not.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Bread-Monster » Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:00 am

Ahh...back to this again.

Everytime I have something important to do for uni, I do everything possible not to get it done on time. Why is that?

Maybe it's because I hate reports. I did science and eng to escape writing things with know...word things and using those...those things called punctuation and grammar and korrekt speling and stuff. Why do I have write this stupid report in so many words? I just want to do this:

Aim: To measure forces acting on objects in a wind tunnel
Method: Turn on wind tunnel, record forces from the meters.
Results: -GRAPH-
Discussion: blah blah blah
Conclusion: Forces acting on objects in wind tunnel were drag, lift and pressure forces.
Referencing - blah blah blah

Why so many paragraphs and long sentences with a bajillion noun trains?

I wish I hadn't eaten those cookies. Owey, my head hurts from all the sugar.

What do you guys do to procrastinate? I come to this forum
Current weight 50.4kg
Current Fat % 13.5%

Fat % 14.0%

-Si vis Pacem Para bellum-

Postby hushpuppy » Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:57 am

LOL i do that all the time . esp when u know u should be studying or working on essays . I seem to put it back and back . But i have started to talk to myself(yeah the first sign of going crazy ) And say nope i have to do this now . if i do ..... (an hour or so) then i can do other stuff . most of the time when the hours up i am thinking about the essay and forget what i had to do
SW 107kg
CW 99.8kg
GW 65kg

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:18 pm

People at my Uni have procrastination down to an art form. One of the offices has the 'official' title "the procrastinotorium" or something. We tend to find random funny pictures or play with random toys our electronics technician finds lurking in labs

Psych reports are similar, but there is method to the madness. Your aim should be able to let people know exactly what you are doing, why it is important to know this and how it is that you are intending to get your answers. Also you need to explain why you hypothesise what you have (what theories, previous research yadda yadda)This is so that people can look at your study and decide if they agree that you are doing something worthwile.

Then your method section needs to be detailed so that your study can be replicated. If it can't be replicated, it can't be tested for accuracy etc or have other modifications done but control everything else yadda yadda.

Your results are obviously important to be described as are your calculations so people can check if they agree with your outcome (and your lecturers can check if you did it right :wink: ). You also have to talk about the results in terms of what may have gone wrong, did the data come out the way you expected? What does the data say about XYZ theories that influenced the development of your study? Is it supported? Are the data different to expected in which case is there an alternate theory it could support? Were there any problems with your design that should be looked at in a future study? Etc

Then your conclusion/summary is to sum all that up.

I know I'm probably teaching you to suck eggs, but sometimes it helps me to think about why these things are needed when I get frustrated with stuff.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Postby madeline » Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:03 pm

omg not another study/uni thread! this is my escape from uni! *madz blocks ears*

la la la la
"Ððñ'† µ wï§h ¥ðµr gïrl£rïêñÐ wå§ hð† lïkê mê, Ððñ'† ¥å ßåߥ ;)"
CW- 57kgs, GW- 53kgs (8kgs lost!)

Return to Just Chatting