It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:15 am

Free Newsletter

Self Defence Classes

Talk about anything and everything, whether it's related to weight loss or not.

Moderator: Moderators

Self Defence Classes

Postby shelbel » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:47 pm

My boss often says that he worries about me doing late lock ups at work by myself and that next winter he will request that i dont do them. We get ALOT of fruitcakes hanging around my work, thank god ive only had to deal with one, but geez it was scary! Not to mention the fights that occassional break out. Anyway, i dont want to stop doing them because i like the extra money from the overtime. So my point is, (yes i do have one!)

Has anyone taken self defence classes before? If so what do you think of them?

Also how do you go about finding them?

Any input good or bad would be helpful, thanks in advance :wink:
Highest Weight - 93kgs
Current Weight - 68.3kgs
Goal Weight - 65kgs

The wise man Stephen King once said - The only way to go on, is to go on. To say 'i can do this' even when you know you cant

You'll find me in the almost there section :)
shelbel

Postby matchbox » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:04 am

hey shel, i looked into them for a while but couldn't find any near me - all were in the city or subi, places like that. a bit far for me! but i think it's an exellent idea :)
Have FAITH in yourself
matchbox

Postby Fireball » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:05 am

I did Wing Chun Kung Fu which was designed by a woman, for about 4 years. I would strongly recommend it. I am not the high kicking style of person so it suited me. I loved it. Loved the lessons, everything about it. Got really fit. I quit at the time because of lack of $ (doing uni, buying house, 3 little kids etc - that was my rationalisation. If I had my time over now I would have quit stupid smoking or cut out something else and kept it up!) :oops: Hindsight is such a marvellous thing. Do I think I could have defended myself ? - yes indeed I do. But it also taught that you are never 100% safe,eg. a sneak attack/beginner can get in a lucky punch.

It is worth looking into before deciding as styles are very different. Maybe see if you can visit a few places and see what they do and imagine if it would suit you. Often they will offer a free lesson so you can see if you like it.

"Unknowingly, we plow the dust of the stars, blown about us by the wind, and drink the universe in a glass of rain."
Ihab Hassan
Fireball

Postby Jisgone » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:12 am

theres a great place in claremont that does womens self defence, i cant remember the name :(

where do u work shelbel?
Jisgone

Postby kate_turner2000 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:06 am

hey shelbel i think its great that you are going to take the initiative to learn to defend yourself. why should you live your life in fear? good on ya pats on the back mate and let us know how you go finding something !
kate_turner2000

Postby Suminoya Buffet » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:53 am

Good luck with the classes :wink:

I have a friend (female) who carries around one of those panic alarms in case of an emergency, and let me tell you, I was fiddling with it; set it off; and they are LOUD :shock: Perhaps you could consider one in the interim!
Suminoya Buffet

Postby shelbel » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:26 pm

Thanks for your input guys.

I'll google that wing chun fu thingie when i get home tonight and see what i come up with. I had a hard time trying to find anything on the net last night.

I work at karrakatta, so claremont is close by.

A panic alarm is a great idea, but my work place is very spread out and i dont know if anyone would hear! But i will look into it.

I joked with the boss about getting some spiked heels to use! Hahaha
I might be able to get work to pick up part of the tab too as we get a yearly allowance for fitness, which would be great!
Highest Weight - 93kgs
Current Weight - 68.3kgs
Goal Weight - 65kgs

The wise man Stephen King once said - The only way to go on, is to go on. To say 'i can do this' even when you know you cant

You'll find me in the almost there section :)
shelbel

Return to Just Chatting