It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:11 am

Free Newsletter

Australian Universities

Talk about anything and everything, whether it's related to weight loss or not.

Moderator: Moderators

Australian Universities

Postby luse_it_all » Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:37 pm

I am originally from the UAE, Dubai, and I have a scholarship to study Tourism management in Australia, choosing the University that I see fit!

Soooo,, I was wondering about which one would be better.. and the cost of living and so on..

I have chosen 3 Universities, Swinburne Uni, Curtin Uni and University of Western Sydney, or something like that!

I've only been to Australia once, to the Gold Coast and all I know is that I love it there!!

So anything you tell me is helpfull :)

Thanx 4 readin'
luse_it_all

Postby HappyBella55 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:12 am

I originally started at University of Queensland (UQ) studying law but hated it with a passion lol so I transferred to Queensland University of Technology (QUT) studying Bachelor of Business majoring in HR and Marketing and I love it.

it all depends what you are looking for in a uni. All uni's have their good points and not so good points :D .

I've never heard of the Universities you have listed (maybe cos I'm a Queensland girl lol) Anyway if you love the gold cost Griffiths University and Bond University are there but I can't really tell you much about them.

Only thing I can suggest is to do as much research on each uni, what accommodation is available either on campus or off and maybe see if the degree from that Uni has international recognition? (not sure if that is relevant)

Best of luck - when you have an option as wide as you do it can become quite hard.
Start weight - 77kgs
Goal weight - 53kgs
Current Weight - 50.1kgs

No more weighing, no more scales. My measurement is my success at health. It's an investment I make every single day. My priority: be healthy!
HappyBella55

Postby luse_it_all » Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:48 am

HappyBella55 wrote:I originally started at University of Queensland (UQ) studying law but hated it with a passion lol so I transferred to Queensland University of Technology (QUT) studying Bachelor of Business majoring in HR and Marketing and I love it.

it all depends what you are looking for in a uni. All uni's have their good points and not so good points :D .

I've never heard of the Universities you have listed (maybe cos I'm a Queensland girl lol) Anyway if you love the gold cost Griffiths University and Bond University are there but I can't really tell you much about them.

Only thing I can suggest is to do as much research on each uni, what accommodation is available either on campus or off and maybe see if the degree from that Uni has international recognition? (not sure if that is relevant)

Best of luck - when you have an option as wide as you do it can become quite hard.

Thanx bella, I love your name by the way..

well, those Universities are the top of melbourne, perth and Sydney.. all of the ones I picked are recongnized internationally, lol, that's REALLY important, me being not AUSTRALIAN and all.. hehehehe

I've looked into Griffith already, and it seems good, but, there are WAY too many Uae nationals over there.. and well, I am not really looking for another dubai.. I want a different experience besides the good university 4 a better education..

I don't know, maybe if all goes really bad and i've got no other choice, I'll go for Griffith!

Thanx for your post hun.. means a lot!
luse_it_all

Postby kate_turner2000 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:19 am

ive heard of the uni of western sydney because i used to live down near it. i also have a friend studying psychology there. its a very multicultural area to live in so i am sure that anyone from anywhere would fit in happily :)

what are you going to do about accomodation and living and uni expenses etc?
kate_turner2000

Postby matchbox » Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:21 pm

well i live in perth so i am very biased hehe. i go to murdoch university, i think that's really good. i have a lot of friends at curtin and i've always loved curtin - would have gone there but they didn't have the course i wanted :( it is a very good uni if you're thinking about perth :)
Have FAITH in yourself
matchbox

Postby sassi » Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:57 pm

i didn't go to swinburne (and now i work for another uni in melbourne!) but it seems to have a good reputation for courses with more practical-based training. it used to be what we call a TAFE rather than a university so i think that's why it has that practical focus & has good links with industry.

the campuses are in nice areas & only a few train stops from the centre of the city as well.
sassi

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:36 pm

I go to Uni of Tasmania, but since that's where I live, there's not much choice about the matter. Not sure what UTAS Tourism courses are like, but UTAS is attractive to overseas students cause the living costs are lower here.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Bread-Monster » Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:34 pm

Monash university is internationally recognised and has campuses all around the world. I remember seeing a campus that was in Iran.

However...you don't really want to go there unless you intend on doing Commerce, Medicine, Engineering, Science or Law.

Melbourne University is very prestigious and Melbourne was the second most liveable city in the world. We have nicer water than anywhere else in Australia and you can experience all the climates from around the world in one day! :lol:
Current weight 50.4kg
Current Fat % 13.5%

Fat % 14.0%

-Si vis Pacem Para bellum-
Bread-Monster

Postby luse_it_all » Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:01 pm

kate_turner2000 wrote:ive heard of the uni of western sydney because i used to live down near it. i also have a friend studying psychology there. its a very multicultural area to live in so i am sure that anyone from anywhere would fit in happily :)

what are you going to do about accomodation and living and uni expenses etc?

hmm, well starting out i wanted to go to brisbane cuz I know that place, i've been there once already, but there are way too many uae nationals there.. tht's why am trying to pick out another place..

melbourne and sydney are really attractive to me.. and I am on a scholarship, so I'll be getting about 1500 AUD a month.. it varies between 1700 - 1500 depending on the currency status..
so my friend and I are going to pick out a good apartment to stay in together, and split the rent..

1st time we get there, we get uni expenses and all of those stuff, like books and stationary and all of that..
luse_it_all

Postby luse_it_all » Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:08 pm

matchbox wrote:well i live in perth so i am very biased hehe. i go to murdoch university, i think that's really good. i have a lot of friends at curtin and i've always loved curtin - would have gone there but they didn't have the course i wanted :( it is a very good uni if you're thinking about perth :)

hehehe, yeah I get what you're saying.. my friend lives in Perth, and he keeps telling me I should come over there, he says he'll take care of me and my friend, lol... but it's pretty far away, and I am 80% I want to be in melbourne or Sydney, I don't know, they sound multicultural, and I don't know if that's really true, but some guyz from around here went to Perth, and they said it was kinda racist... like I said, don't know if that's true at all.. but I want somewhere safe.. we are two girls on our own, and we're not really used to that!!

having said that, when we all started to look for a Uni, Curtin was the first one I wanted to go to, but then my friends said no.. :P and now half of them are not even going with us.. lol

Thanx :)
luse_it_all

Postby luse_it_all » Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:13 pm

Bread-Monster wrote:Monash university is internationally recognised and has campuses all around the world. I remember seeing a campus that was in Iran.

However...you don't really want to go there unless you intend on doing Commerce, Medicine, Engineering, Science or Law.

Melbourne University is very prestigious and Melbourne was the second most liveable city in the world. We have nicer water than anywhere else in Australia and you can experience all the climates from around the world in one day! :lol:

hehehe, nice job marketing Melbourne for me :P
it does sound pretty cool, I'll consult my friend.. hehehehe
luse_it_all

Postby kate_turner2000 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:31 pm

its a shame you cant do orientations at all of them to decide which one is best for you. the good thing about western sydney is that you arent far from the city, beaches, nation landmarks etc and then you have the mountains on the other side of you so you get the best of both worlds
kate_turner2000

Postby luse_it_all » Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:33 pm

yea, that does suck..

but I suppose it'll turn out alright..
positive thinking! :D
luse_it_all

Postby sassi » Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:30 pm

i think you'll enjoy wherever you choose - you know that all the courses are good, so that way once you've made your decision you can just relax & enjoy the experience. and you'll get to visit other places once you're here

ps come to melbourne :)
sassi

Postby loveat116 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:44 pm

University of Tasmania!

Woot thats internationally recognised, great uni, a tad cold though lol.
Starting Weight: 62kg Current Weight: 55.0kg Goal Weight: 54kg

Goal Reached 22 February 2008, Must get down to 54kg again!
loveat116

Next

Return to Just Chatting