It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:46 pm

Free Newsletter

Australian Universities

Talk about anything and everything, whether it's related to weight loss or not.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby milkyway » Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:15 pm

I go to Swinburne, Hawthorn campus. I'm doing business there. The university has a really strong international focus and a good rep for areas such as business, technology, and engineering. I am very happy with it and the courses they offer in my program area are of much more interest than what was offered at other universities with more prestige in Melbourne (eg Melbourne and Monash universities).

If you have any specific queries, just let me know. Am yet to meet anyone from the UAE there in my classes - lots of Thai, Indian, French, Chinese and Japanese students though! A real mix, especially since I'm doing International Business (actually taking the semester off).

Hawthorn is a farily pricey area as far as housing goes - I guess it depends on if you want to get your own accommodation or live on campus etc.

I don't think Aussies care so much where you study, but rather care what you study - if that makes sense/
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:35 pm

loveat116 wrote:University of Tasmania!

Woot thats internationally recognised, great uni, a tad cold though lol.

Cold?? Nah, bikini weather down here. :P
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Bread-Monster » Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:05 pm

If you want to go to Swinburne, all their campuses in victoria are easily accessible via public transport. Monash is the easiest because most of the campuses are situated in places like Caulfield, Clayton, Peninsula etc where accomodation is pretty cheap and easy to come by (especially in clayton).

Also, if you are really really strap for cash after buying all your textbooks and you wake up one tuesday morning to find you have no food in your cupboard, Monash Clayton holds a free pancake breakfast every tuesday.

If you go to Melbourne University, the accomodation is going to be expensive, same with any university in a major city, be it Sydney, Perth, Adelaide, etc. The upside is that you're getting a more prestigious degree (Except if you're an Engineer, industry doesn't like hiring melbourne engineering graduates) so if that's what you're looking for, you can afford to live on $20 of food a week and call 1800 reverse everytime you make a phonecall as well as washing your hair sparingly to save money on shampoo and wearing the same set of clothes 3 weeks in a row. *ahem* ><

Deakin University....uh....Very cheap....accomodation is cheap....uh..

THIS is selling you Melbourne :wink:

Melbourne and it's suburbs are pretty peaceful.
People here are very polite, multicultural and open minded.
The food, especially international food, is exquisite (because of all the immigrants).
If you like the arts, there are concerts, dances, plays, recitals, etc held every single week in the city.
The public transport isn't terrible, you can go anywhere using public transport
there's lots of space, none of that living on top of eachother crap.
It's pretty clean here
There are about 20 markets held around melbourne (as well as Queen Vic Market inside Melbourne) every weekend so you can buy cheap food)
Current weight 50.4kg
Current Fat % 13.5%

Fat % 14.0%

-Si vis Pacem Para bellum-
Bread-Monster

Postby HappyBella55 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:33 pm

luse_it_all wrote:
HappyBella55 wrote:I originally started at University of Queensland (UQ) studying law but hated it with a passion lol so I transferred to Queensland University of Technology (QUT) studying Bachelor of Business majoring in HR and Marketing and I love it.

it all depends what you are looking for in a uni. All uni's have their good points and not so good points :D .

I've never heard of the Universities you have listed (maybe cos I'm a Queensland girl lol) Anyway if you love the gold cost Griffiths University and Bond University are there but I can't really tell you much about them.

Only thing I can suggest is to do as much research on each uni, what accommodation is available either on campus or off and maybe see if the degree from that Uni has international recognition? (not sure if that is relevant)

Best of luck - when you have an option as wide as you do it can become quite hard.

Thanx bella, I love your name by the way..

well, those Universities are the top of melbourne, perth and Sydney.. all of the ones I picked are recongnized internationally, lol, that's REALLY important, me being not AUSTRALIAN and all.. hehehehe

I've looked into Griffith already, and it seems good, but, there are WAY too many Uae nationals over there.. and well, I am not really looking for another dubai.. I want a different experience besides the good university 4 a better education..

I don't know, maybe if all goes really bad and i've got no other choice, I'll go for Griffith!

Thanx for your post hun.. means a lot!

Aww gee thanks ...though I did get teased by the girls at school (early years of primary school) my brother and sister got ordinary names but with me mum decided to be a bit experimental lol my middle name doesn't get any better...thanks mummy dear :roll:

No worries, sorry I wasn't able to be more help, but what ever choice you make will be the right one and you'll have your friend along side you too :D
Start weight - 77kgs
Goal weight - 53kgs
Current Weight - 50.1kgs

No more weighing, no more scales. My measurement is my success at health. It's an investment I make every single day. My priority: be healthy!
HappyBella55

Postby Amanda20 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:29 am

Hi Rory.

I'm at University of Western Sydney (UWS). I'm studying law and social science. I'm pretty sure the tourism management degree is at the Penrith Campus. Its a beautiful campus.

UWS has six campuses across Western Sydney. There's campuses at Parramatta, Bankstown, Campbelltown, Blacktown, Penrith and Hawkesbury.

Uni life is fantastic, especially if your living on campus. I have a few friends that live on the Bankstown campus, and they say its like living with another huge family. The university is pretty good to its student. The teachers are fair and really nice. Sometimes they go out of their way to help you. Its a really friendly university, there is people from all different nationalities and all ages.

Each campus kinda has a "focus" school of discipline and they each have a different personality. Like, Parramatta has most of the Business, Economics and law students so its sort of a "serious" campus. Campbelltown teaches medicine and the rest of the law students. I don't really know what else Campbelltown has. Penrith, Hawkesbury and Bankstown has policing, social sciences, arts, communications, psychology, engineering, so they are the "fun" campuses to be at. You never know whats going to happen there!

I don't know what sort of info your looking for about the uni but feel free to ask!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wMp9jzI/]
[/url]
Amanda20

Postby luse_it_all » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:00 pm

milkyway wrote:I go to Swinburne, Hawthorn campus. I'm doing business there. The university has a really strong international focus and a good rep for areas such as business, technology, and engineering. I am very happy with it and the courses they offer in my program area are of much more interest than what was offered at other universities with more prestige in Melbourne (eg Melbourne and Monash universities).

If you have any specific queries, just let me know. Am yet to meet anyone from the UAE there in my classes - lots of Thai, Indian, French, Chinese and Japanese students though! A real mix, especially since I'm doing International Business (actually taking the semester off).

Hawthorn is a farily pricey area as far as housing goes - I guess it depends on if you want to get your own accommodation or live on campus etc.

I don't think Aussies care so much where you study, but rather care what you study - if that makes sense/

Hey, Swinburne was always kinda where I wanted to go, I always told my friends, and you know when it's not just one person's decision anymore and 4 people are trying to pick a place to ALL go to, it gets frustrating and you deviate so far awaay from your main goal.. When 2 of them stepped out from this, the remaining two had to start all over again.. hence "asking a lot of questions" :P \

But yea, Swinburne sounds great,, and I am looking for the tourism management course, accompanied with maybe interning at one of the big tourism companies out there, whether it was in Melbourne, Sydney or Perth!!

So maybe if you could tell me about the best most famous tourism companies out there, or just mention em if they exist..

Thanx a lot sweety.. this was great help!
luse_it_all

Postby luse_it_all » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:10 pm

Bread-Monster wrote:If you want to go to Swinburne, all their campuses in victoria are easily accessible via public transport. Monash is the easiest because most of the campuses are situated in places like Caulfield, Clayton, Peninsula etc where accomodation is pretty cheap and easy to come by (especially in clayton).

Also, if you are really really strap for cash after buying all your textbooks and you wake up one tuesday morning to find you have no food in your cupboard, Monash Clayton holds a free pancake breakfast every tuesday.

If you go to Melbourne University, the accomodation is going to be expensive, same with any university in a major city, be it Sydney, Perth, Adelaide, etc. The upside is that you're getting a more prestigious degree (Except if you're an Engineer, industry doesn't like hiring melbourne engineering graduates) so if that's what you're looking for, you can afford to live on $20 of food a week and call 1800 reverse everytime you make a phonecall as well as washing your hair sparingly to save money on shampoo and wearing the same set of clothes 3 weeks in a row. *ahem* ><

Deakin University....uh....Very cheap....accomodation is cheap....uh..

THIS is selling you Melbourne :wink:

Melbourne and it's suburbs are pretty peaceful.
People here are very polite, multicultural and open minded.
The food, especially international food, is exquisite (because of all the immigrants).
If you like the arts, there are concerts, dances, plays, recitals, etc held every single week in the city.
The public transport isn't terrible, you can go anywhere using public transport
there's lots of space, none of that living on top of eachother crap.
It's pretty clean here
There are about 20 markets held around melbourne (as well as Queen Vic Market inside Melbourne) every weekend so you can buy cheap food)

Hmm, well am not thinking about Monash, Swinburne sounds alright for now.. I heard it was difficult though, I am not sure if they meant Difficult as in "I can't study here cuz I can't understand anything" difficult, or if they meant it as "I am too lazy to do this much work" difficult!!
I am up for the challange though, My college here wasn't so easy and everything was very practical..

ah, I'd hate to think I'd be broke at any point.. I am sure my parents would send me some money if I needed it,, but I am planning on being totally on my own, plus I got a job at the moment untill Feb when I have to travel for my studies, and am saving up as much money as possible!! but it's good to know I can have free food if i WAS broke!! heheheh :)

Ah, you don't need to sell melbourne,, I am loving it there, and it sounds soooo awesome... i am waaay into ART,, hope my friend is aswell :D
and great to know I'll have my space.. I SOOO NEED THAT!!

Oh, I am planning on getting my self a bike.. Is it safe around there for bikes.. it would help with the weight for sure..

I figured if the Uni wasn't so far away, I'd go there by the bike, if not, I'll probably go biking every now and then in a park or something..

Hey, Thanx A lot for the info,, Great help.. oh and congrats on the weight loss :D
luse_it_all

Postby luse_it_all » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:12 pm

Amanda20 wrote:Hi Rory.

I'm at University of Western Sydney (UWS). I'm studying law and social science. I'm pretty sure the tourism management degree is at the Penrith Campus. Its a beautiful campus.

UWS has six campuses across Western Sydney. There's campuses at Parramatta, Bankstown, Campbelltown, Blacktown, Penrith and Hawkesbury.

Uni life is fantastic, especially if your living on campus. I have a few friends that live on the Bankstown campus, and they say its like living with another huge family. The university is pretty good to its student. The teachers are fair and really nice. Sometimes they go out of their way to help you. Its a really friendly university, there is people from all different nationalities and all ages.

Each campus kinda has a "focus" school of discipline and they each have a different personality. Like, Parramatta has most of the Business, Economics and law students so its sort of a "serious" campus. Campbelltown teaches medicine and the rest of the law students. I don't really know what else Campbelltown has. Penrith, Hawkesbury and Bankstown has policing, social sciences, arts, communications, psychology, engineering, so they are the "fun" campuses to be at. You never know whats going to happen there!

I don't know what sort of info your looking for about the uni but feel free to ask!

My friend and I are fun, so it'd be cool to be in the fun campus.. I suppose the main concern is accomodation, as we want to live in a close by 2 bedroom apartment.. so that's a wonder.. and I'm thinking abt interning at a big tourism company, something really famous to put on a Resumé.. you know..

Thank you soooooo much for the info.. GREAT HELP
luse_it_all

Postby luse_it_all » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:15 pm

Excuse any spelling mistakes you guyz, and grammer for that matter..
I was replying in a hurry, and didnt have the time to revise it..

So, I suppose my main worries are accomodation, Studying difficulty at Swinburne and UWS... and also whether there were big or famous tourism companies around those Unis that would actually hire someone for training or just an internship kinda thing..

Thanx a bunch all of you.. I love you guys :D
luse_it_all

Postby hushpuppy » Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:32 pm

LOL @ bikini weather . MMMMMMMM if u was a duck i guess but the u would get blown away here in the North lately . Uni of Tas has a great rep and is connected with a few uni's overseas (not sure which lol )
Jules [/quote]
[url=http://www..com]Image[blinkiebee/url]
SW 107kg
CW 99.8kg
GW 65kg
hushpuppy

Previous

Return to Just Chatting