It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:51 am

Free Newsletter

1000 steps in The Dandenongs, Melbourne......

Join or Start a Walking Group near you for exercise and weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

1000 steps in The Dandenongs, Melbourne......

Postby *KaTe* » Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:21 pm

Hey, anyone on here do the 1000 steps in Upper Ferntree Gully? I love them :D

SMILE!!
*KaTe*

Postby kate_turner2000 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:37 pm

i love that ferntree gully movie hehe
kate_turner2000

Postby milkyway » Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:50 pm

Yes! I used to train on them last year. The first time was the hardest and I had to stop a few times. The next time I made it all the way to the top without stopping and the time after that I flew up them in about 13 mins (excluding the walk from the carpark). I should get out there again and see if I can better them this time :D

It's absolutely beautiful up there. I've seen lyre birds almost every time i've been there. During a night walk my torch battery ran out. Lol. Thank goodness for the handrails, hahaha.
Last edited by milkyway on Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby *KaTe* » Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:31 pm

Well Done Milkyway! Oh my gosh, I'd never do them in the dark, its soooooooo scary in the dandenongs at night time!!!

I can manage to do them 3 times in a row, takes me an hour and a half all up including walking to them and back. It is beautiful up there, my friend and I sometimes go for walks in kallista and see Wallabies, lyrebirds,wombats etc. Its great!!

I live around 1/2 hr away from them so like to make the most of it while up up there :D Best workout though, so rewarding!

SMILE!!
*KaTe*

Postby milkyway » Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:56 pm

Oh believe me, it wasn't scary. I was out hiking with 100's of others, so I wasn't all by my lonesome. But there's no way you'd get me out on there on a regular friday night :P If I lived out that way, I'd go far more regularly.

Churchill, Olinda and Lysterfield and great places, too. Do you ever walk out there?
Last edited by milkyway on Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
------------------------
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby *KaTe* » Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:17 pm

Ha ha ha thats alright if you had that many ppl walking with you! Wow hiking for over 8 hrs, thats awesome! Yep I've walked at all the places you mentioned, dont mind Lysterfield lake, its nice but found its not as challenging as there's no hills..but is beautiful. Do you mean Chirchill park near Endeavour hills? If so I've been up there as well, havent been for ages but is really nice.

Have you heard of Paddy's track in Kallista? It's a hill that is soooooooooo horrible, lol it is a killer. Its a beautiful walk though! To get to the track you go to where all the rosellas are, and the cafe, cant remember where its called...

It's just great to escape the suburbs and only have to drive half an hour or less sometimes to get there. Is lovely in the warmer months though...winter time up there is FREEEEEZING! Am still keen to do the steps though, just have to be extra careful, would hate to fall over on them! LOL have nearly slipped a few times!

SMILE!!
*KaTe*

Postby milkyway » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:11 pm

Yeah, those steps do get slippery, eh? I was so focussed on my feet while hiking at night that a little further past the steps, I forgot to look up and I walked right into an overhanging tree truck that was clearly marked with reflective tap. Lol. the people around me got a laugh because it was such a good knock to the head :)

I did lots of hiking last year. I saw some great places - like Mount St Leonards in Healesville, Mount Donna Buang, Mount Macedon and as mentioned, through Churchill and Lysterfield (the path we take to get to Lysterfield is quite hilly, where they did the Mountain Bike Riding for the Commonwealth Games) and right through the Dandenongs. I lost a lot of that endurance I developed but I have worked on my cardio fitness this year which is better than what it was last year.

It's a shame I have to drive so far to get to all these nice places.

I think I've heard of that track - a marathon runner told me about something like that - it's sooo steep but a favourite with endurance runners. I wonder if it's the same one. I know it's out in the Dandenongs area somewhere...
Last edited by milkyway on Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
------------------------
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby Playboy_bunny » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:26 am

Im in montrose...never done them but Im told ALL THE TIME that I should :)
Image•·.·´¯`·.·•Gracie•·.·´¯`·.·•
Playboy_bunny

Postby *KaTe* » Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:03 pm

LOL omg Milkyway..that wouldve hurt but been funny when you bumped your head on the branch! I find when im up there I always nearly slip on the tree roots in the ground....It sucks as Its so beautiful up there and I would love to check out the forest more, but seems whenever I take my eyes off the ground I nearly slip over!! He he.

Oh LOL a cpl of weeks ago I was finishing up and a poor guy fell over on the 1st step!! I chuckled on the inside but felt sorry 4 him as there was lots of people around! HA HA gotta hate that!

Wow that hike sounds full on! You mustve been so proud afterwards! And I can imagine the sceneary being awesome!

And Playboy BUnny you should definately do a mission up there! Your not far at all! It's the best workout, breaks up the normal gym routine etc!

SMILE!!
*KaTe*

Postby Bread-Monster » Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:15 pm

I love going up there. I remember at my most unfittest It took me forever to get up there. I thought it felt like 10km. I was stopping every 2 minutes to catch my breath and have a drink. My Dad would make fun of me and how much I was sweating "Like father like Daughter!" He chortled and he bounded up the steps like they weren't even there. At my peak fitness, we went again. I was carrying 2 2L water bottles and I got to one tree hill (is that what it was called?) from the carpark in 19 minutes. I had to wait there for about 15 minutes for my parents to meet me at the top before I went down.

I haven't been in a while, I want to go again.
Current weight 50.4kg
Current Fat % 13.5%

Fat % 14.0%

-Si vis Pacem Para bellum-
Bread-Monster

Postby oostevens » Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:59 pm

i agree fern gully was a great movie :p

sorry i dont know this walk, as i am in queensland but it sounds nice
[*RACHEL*]

YOU CAN DOOO IT!!!!!

[First goal: to reach 80kgs]
[Second goal: to reach 75kgs]

oostevens

Postby *KaTe* » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:50 pm

Bread-Monster wrote:I love going up there. I remember at my most unfittest It took me forever to get up there. I thought it felt like 10km. I was stopping every 2 minutes to catch my breath and have a drink. My Dad would make fun of me and how much I was sweating "Like father like Daughter!" He chortled and he bounded up the steps like they weren't even there. At my peak fitness, we went again. I was carrying 2 2L water bottles and I got to one tree hill (is that what it was called?) from the carpark in 19 minutes. I had to wait there for about 15 minutes for my parents to meet me at the top before I went down.

I haven't been in a while, I want to go again.

Crazy! I remember the 1st time I went up there too! I smoked at the time and found it sooo hard 2 get up- stopped heaps of times and had lotsa water...

Got to a point where I can do it 3 times in row 6000 steps(!), straight up n down and only having a tiny sip at both ends! Is amazing how you get better at stuff like that!

I havent been there for probably 3 months, have neen doing other stuff but will definately start going now the weather is starting to clear up! Love it up there.

Good on ya for doing the walk so quick, 19mins is an awesome time! Well done! Good 2 hear of other people enjoying the forests down there! :D

SMILE!!
*KaTe*

Re: 1000 steps in The Dandenongs, Melbourne......

Postby waterbaby » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:30 pm

I would love to be able to do this walk as I it is very close to my home and I have friends who do it a few times a week and fly up it.
Is there anyone out there that would do it slowly with me?
I am only at the start of my journey and there is no way I would go with friends who would leave me behind...
Hoping to hear from someone...
rach
xo
Rachel - mama of 2 boys (DS7 & 2)
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wVRereJ/]
[/url]
SW 104kg
CW 97.5kg
Goal Weight: 65-68 kg
Working hard now! No room in my life now for half-hearted attempts!
waterbaby

Postby Cassbop » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:10 pm

oh i go there and i love it! Such a nice place to go and get excercise :) :D
Cassbop

Postby keza » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:23 am

Heya People,
My dear friend has just told me about the 1000 steps that she's doing, and seeing she lives in Narre Warren i think she'd do the Dandenongs one.. I want to know more info about it- where exactly do you start doing the walk and is there allocated times for walking groups etc? Any info will be greatly appreciated.
Keza :P
keza

Return to Walking Groups