It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:04 am

Free Newsletter

Ice-Cream is Healthier than Water

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Ice-Cream is Healthier than Water

Postby rivenriver » Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:27 pm

Another thread made me remember this...

Last semester in Chemistry, we learned about toxicology, and how we determine the effectiveness of things based on how much you need to take for it to have an effect, and how much is lethal.

Our lecturer gave us a few examples, paracetamol, ecstasy, etc, and added ice cream just for fun, which he said will kill you after about 5L, if you eat it all at once.

He went on to explain that EVERYTHING has a toxicity level, everything will kill you if you have too much. Even water, which he said will kill you if you drink more than 4L all at once.

So how did we interpret this? Ice cream will kill you after 5L. Water, however, kills you after only 4L. Therefore, the logical conclusion...

ICE CREAM IS HEALTHIER THAN WATER!!!!!!!!! :D ;)
rivenriver

Postby Luna » Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:37 pm

LOL! :lol:
Luna

Postby kate_turner2000 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:40 pm

lol i love that theory. i once drank about 3.5litres in a day and my chest hurt. i got really bad chest pains i thought id was going to end up at the hospital. didnt know that about ice cream though, i could live on the stuff. once i made 2 trays of lasagne and i ate them over 2 days. LOL
kate_turner2000

Postby Sas » Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:46 pm

haha that's funny :lol:
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wCSA5VJ/]
Sas

Postby Playboy_bunny » Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:25 pm

I think it would depend on your size etc as well though! jeez my brother in law is 6'4 and about 110 kgs (healthy for his height) and he will drink 2 ltrs of water in one sitting! In a day he gets through about 6 ltrs! Its phenominal! :shock: he works behind a desk too lol go figure! hehe hmmm as far as ice cream goes Ill keep that in mind :shock: I remember when I was pregnant with connor my best friend and i sat down and shared 3ltrs of ice cream while we watched legally blonde :oops: oops lol maybe THATS why I gained 40 kgs in pregnancy??? :oops: embarrassing! lol
Image•·.·´¯`·.·•Gracie•·.·´¯`·.·•
Playboy_bunny

Postby Chelle » Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:47 pm

lol that's a pretty good theory
Chelle

Postby kate_turner2000 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:37 pm

ice cream whilst watching a dvd is fine by me gracie. i could easily buy myself a wendys take home pack and eat that on my own in one sitting
kate_turner2000

Postby PhilEngland » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:10 pm

lol thats weird...

I drink a HEAP of water each day, I'm sure I would have drunk over 4 litres in a day of heavy exercise before - but I guess he means drinking 4L in like one gulp lol

On a serious note I have heard of people drinking too much water just generally and it 'flooding' their organs and making them pretty sick.

Further to that, drinking too much, particularly around meal times will dilute your stomach acids and make it harder for your body to digest your food - making you feel sluggish and slowing your metabolism right down - bad for weight loss.

As for eating 5 Litres of ice cream..

Yeah if I was hungry enough :D

Phil
PhilEngland

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:27 pm

Only 4L ?!?! I thought it was something crazy like 16L that killed you!!
Eesh, I easily drink 4L in a day!!!!
I drink 2L before about 9:30 in the morning :S :S
What happens if you drink too much!?
zeedeveelgirl

Postby rivenriver » Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:24 pm

I'd say don't worry if you normally drink a lot of water. :) Your body lets you know when it's unhappy, so listen to it. If it tells you it likes 3L of water, go ahead! Just not all at once maybe... ;)

As for individuals, it's in the way the statistics are worked out (and some people are gonna hate the way I say this, cos it sounds really cold...) Toxicology works on an ED50 and an LD50. ED50 stands for the dosage that is effective for 50% of the test subjects. LD50 stands for the dose that is lethal to 50% of the test subjects. But that leaves the other 50%, who may be significantly over or under individually. Like for example, about 10% of the population are naturally resistant to paracetamol (I think that was it...). It just happens. So there will be people who can drink 10L of water (or ice cream!) and be fine, they're just not most of us. :)
rivenriver

Postby Schteve » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:07 am

Did any of you hear about the woman earlier this year who died from drinking too much water in the States? A radio station ran a contest 'Don't wee for a Wii' where the contestants had to keep drinking water without going to the toilet, and whoever went the longest won a Wii. Well... She ended up drinking too much and died.

Here is a link. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16614865/

Its a bit sad, but also kinda ironically funny. I have a twisted sense of humour, I hope no one takes offense to this. She did it for her kids. You can imagine the radio people rocking up at the house and knocking on the door. 'Hey kids, your mum won a contest and you get a free Wii!!!!!' 'Oh, but, she kinda died in the process... At least you get a Wii!'

I think she drank nearly 2 gallons of water, which is close to 7.5 litres for us Aussie metric people. :P

It is dangerous because water molecules are polar, they have charged ends, which can cause them to upset the electrolyte balance in your body. It requires a lot of water at once though, not over an entire day.

I imagine also that other minerals and things in water could be quite harmful for you in huge quantities. I would have thought that would be more dangerous than the water.. I guess not though.
Schteve

Postby matchbox » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:38 am

water floods your cells and creates an imbalance inside/outside you cells. it also dilutes the nutrients in your cells, if it dilutes them too much it can kill your cells. *ends nerdy science rant* :P
Have FAITH in yourself
matchbox

Postby kate_turner2000 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:09 am

hey schteve i remember that!
kate_turner2000

Postby Playboy_bunny » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:30 am

yeah i remember the wii thing...the radio hosts got the sack for it...i remember reading that one of the other entrants got really sick too...they said that the one who died looked like she was about 7 months pregnant because of all the water :shock:
Image•·.·´¯`·.·•Gracie•·.·´¯`·.·•
Playboy_bunny

Postby tamlee » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:11 pm

Didn't they use water as a torture in wars ??
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wlFCALM/]
[/url]
tamlee

Next

Return to Weight loss Talk