It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:28 pm

Free Newsletter

The Blood Type diet - does it work?

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

The Blood Type diet - does it work?

Postby Rissa » Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:44 pm

Has anyone ever tried the blood type diet?
Someone loaned me the book 'Eat right for your type' that basicallly says that some blood types can't handle certain foods. The intro made for an interesting read about how different blood types came about. And it did seem to be quite logical that blood types should eat different foods due to the fact that they appeared at different stages. For example, type O were the first on earth, and ate a diet of meat, meat and meat (also some insects and roots). so they didn't have highly processed food, or even things like dairy or bread. So even today type Os would do better on a diet. without these things. Another point that was made was that type Os have a strongly acidic stomache, and should avoid certain foods.
Maybe I've been brainwashed from reading this book?
But I guess like most diets if you stick to it you will lose weight. It's always an option.
While my friend who loaned me the book is going well, and says she feels allover healthier, I don't think it's right for me. It seems to be to restrictive, and dairy and bread are some of my staples. Who knows, maybe the logic behind this is right...
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w3irdSl/]
[/url]
First weigh-in: Sunday 11 Novemember, 2007.
Mission: to lose 5 kilos by this date.
Rissa

Postby Mandie » Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:13 pm

No, it's not true.

Your blood type is dependent on the antibodies to red cells you have. There are many different factors - A, B, AB and O as well as Rhesus positive or negative, and there's other antibodies too.

These antibodies have NOTHING TO DO with the way you metabolise food, and whether you gain or lose weight.

Diets are.. diets. Some of them work for some people, some of them don't. If the diet restricts your calories to less than you burn off, then you should lose weight on it.

Sorry for being blunt, but the scientist/doctor in me hates these pop science things :roll:
Mandie

Postby Rissa » Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:40 pm

Thanks for clearing that up, Mandie. Not knowing any science past highschool biology/chemistry, anyone that comes along could probably talk me into believing that the sky is hot pink, and I wouldn't know any better.
I knew vaguely about antibodies and bloodtypes, but nothing beyond that.
Any diet will work, as long as calorie output is greater tha cahlorie input. But then, some are healthier than others.
I was also curious to see if anyone had actually tried this...
At least now I know who to go to if I have anymore ridiculous sciency questions! *makes mental note to put Mandie on speed dial*
[/url]
Rissa

Postby shelbel » Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:46 pm

Oh yeah Mandie is a very helpful for clearing up those medical things for us! LOL i have that rhesus thing in my blood, you know to do with babies and that.....
Highest Weight - 93kgs
Current Weight - 68.3kgs
Goal Weight - 65kgs

The wise man Stephen King once said - The only way to go on, is to go on. To say 'i can do this' even when you know you cant

You'll find me in the almost there section :)
shelbel

Postby Mandie » Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:52 am

LOL Rissa - you can ask me whatever you like :)

I'll be a legit doctor soon.. one more week of uni, and my final exam is November 5! I have no problem answering questions.. as long as people realise that if they have specific medical problems that relate to themselves or friends/family, they are best going to their GP for advice.. etc etc... disclaimer :)
Mandie

Postby Rissa » Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:57 am

Good to know, soon-to-be Dr Mandie! Don't worry, I'll only hit you up for info on things like this. Although sometimes I get this pain in my....only messing with you!
Good luck with your exams, even though I'm sure you don't need it, smart cookie!
Bye! Rissa
[/url]
Rissa

Postby rivenriver » Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:34 pm

Mandie wrote:LOL Rissa - you can ask me whatever you like :)

I'll be a legit doctor soon.. one more week of uni, and my final exam is November 5! I have no problem answering questions.. as long as people realise that if they have specific medical problems that relate to themselves or friends/family, they are best going to their GP for advice.. etc etc... disclaimer :)

:o!!! Wow!!!!!! That's soo cool! How does it feel, knowing that you're nearly done with uni? I'm freaking out enough that I've nearly finished my first year! ;)

Anyway, the original post: I reckon with things like that, you always have to be careful, no matter what Dr Sell-U-Stuff says. Pseudo-science can be used to justify almost anything, you need to look further than just what they say to see if it actually holds up under scrutiny. (Like coming on here, that works! :)) I agree with Mandie - I can't see how blood type could affect the way you process food.
rivenriver

Postby milkyway » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:46 am

Hey Rissa - I've spent a lot of time in South Korea - there they think that your blood type is reflective of a particular personality type. Heaven help the partners of poor B's. I am one on them !!! hahaha :lol:
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby Mandie » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:45 am

re: rivenriver (do I know your real name?)

it feels FANTASTIC to be almost finished uni!!! it's a 6 year course and I started in 2001.. took a year off after 4th year... so just finally finishing now.. it's been a long, hard slog.. most of my friends finished uni ages ago and all are working and have money and I'm still a povo student living with my parents!

But all this is about to change, im moving into an apartment with my boyfriend at the end of the year and I will be a doctor :) YAY!
Mandie

Postby rivenriver » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:33 pm

Mandie wrote:re: rivenriver (do I know your real name?)

it feels FANTASTIC to be almost finished uni!!! it's a 6 year course and I started in 2001.. took a year off after 4th year... so just finally finishing now.. it's been a long, hard slog.. most of my friends finished uni ages ago and all are working and have money and I'm still a povo student living with my parents!

But all this is about to change, im moving into an apartment with my boyfriend at the end of the year and I will be a doctor :) YAY!

That's SO cool! I'm so excited for you! A doctor - WOW! :D 6 years is so long - I'm glad my degree is only 4!!

Oh, and it's Marti. :) Maybe I should add it to my sig or something... ;) Though I like rivenriver too. :)
rivenriver

Postby Mandie » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:12 pm

Thanks Marti :)

What course are you planning to do?
Mandie

Postby rivenriver » Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:29 am

Science / Arts, majoring in Science Communication and Drama. :) Just finishing my first year - woot! Then when I'm done, I'm going to run away and join the circus! For real - the Centre for Science and Public Awareness offers a post grad diploma thing with the Questacon Science Circus! You travel around the country with them for a year, and get a qualification out of it, too! :) Then I'll work on the acting thing. ;)
rivenriver

Postby Mandie » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:22 am

hehe a science circus?? awesome :)
Mandie

Postby rivenriver » Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:43 pm

I know! :D
rivenriver

Return to Weight loss Talk