It is currently Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:18 am

Free Newsletter

How do you stop yourself from binging?

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

How do you stop yourself from binging?

Postby rivenriver » Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:24 pm

When you get into that mindset that says "I don't care about this, I've had a rubbish day, all I want to do it eat junk food", what do you do about it? What are some ways that work that allow you to tell yourself "stop, think, do something else"?

Postby Mandie » Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:27 pm

Hmm.. I try to call someone, just for a chat... when you're chatting on the phone you can't be eating, it's rude!

Or go for a walk.. force yourself out of the house and away from temptation...

Ooh, or go for a long shower/bath.. again, you can't eat in there!

Maybe go brush your teeth or drink a big glass of water and see how you feel after..

Postby SarahC » Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:15 pm

Great pointers! Too late for me tonight unfortunately.

Now the problem is, after you've phoned a friend, had a bath, been for a walk and cleaned your teeth, THEN how do you stop yourself binging???? :cry:

Sorry I'm a sad sack tonight :roll:

It's that little voice, you know the one (I found out the other night, it is actually located on your left shoulder, true!) that keeps nagging you to eat and won't shut up until your tummy is about to burst. We must find a way of getting it to shut up... short of cutting off your left shoulder :? :lol:

My ideas (warning, these are untested)
- Create physical pain. It has been suggested to me an elastic band around the wrist, pull that and let it go... that'll shut him up for a while as he'll be too busy thinking about the pain!
- One word repeated aloud over and over and over again. That should stop any other thoughts getting in.

Same problem though, the nagging will just start up again after you've stopped whatever you were doing...

Sorry that didn't help at all :oops: :oops:

Postby Schteve » Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:10 am

I find this form of binging is the hardest thing about sticking to a diet. I can eat smaller meals, cut out a lot of junk and all, but sometimes my body just says 'I'm starving! Eat everything in sight!' and it can be pretty hard to resist.

I don't think you really can fight it. When your body says you are extremely hungry, but you've already had your three meals or something, you need to give it something. The trick is finding something that is good for you, will make you feel full, and won't make you put on weight. Probably fruits are a good start. I try to have a muesli bar, they are usually good for curbing my hunger.

Good luck.

Postby kate_turner2000 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:04 am

i try and drink water from my water bottle and walk around doing stuff. i try to keep busy and then if i say to myself 'ill have one bikkie' then i say 'well im doing this at the moment so i cant and i have to do this next and that so maybe later on if i get all this done' by the end of all that i forget about it or dinner is ready or something so i dont need to have that bikkie.

Postby Sas » Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:47 am

I usually go for a run. When I get back I feel so much better and think to myself that if I eat crap food I will just undo everything I have done and feel like a big pig once I'm finished binging.

Also, reading magazines like slimming helps me... lot's of motivating stories in there to help me keep on track. Another thing I do is not buy anything that I'm bad at binging on so there is even less temptation.

I find I'm terrible with packets of chips so if I'm craving that I'll have a handful of salted peanuts and that seems to solve the problem.

Postby tanya » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:21 am

I find the more i focus on the things i shouldnt eat the more i want to eat. And if i start calling it a diet and avoiding those foods the more likely i will eat them. So im not really avoiding them at the moment, if i feel like a couple of chips or something i will have them otherwise i would end up eating a full pk of something.. If that makes any sense lol

'Changing to a healthier lifestyle'
Mini goal: To get to 85kg!

Postby Mandie » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:43 am

I'm the same. If I get to the point where all I'm thinking about it chocolate, then I've gotta have some!

Like the other day, I REALLY wanted chocolate.. so I went and got a Furry Friends chocolate! It's a decent sized piece of plain chocolate, I savoured it and made it last.. and best of all, it's not very many calories... 80 calories comparied to 274 for a Mars Bar!

I find it's best to nip a craving in the bud like that.. otherwise I will wait all day then eat an entire block of chocolate!

Postby candycane » Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:10 pm

Yeah i try do other stuff. I don't have mass craveings but i tend to snack so i try to plan to do something straight after work or just to be busy most of the time so i just eat when i'm supposed to :) i think also if u crave something and try and busy yourself for 10 minutes u forget about it i ask myself "do i really want to give in and eat that" coz i know i'll end up eating one..which turns to most of the pack :)

Postby Playboy_bunny » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:45 pm

Im sorry...I cant really help much :roll: not the greatest role model re: bingeing! all I do know is that if I am occupied and doing something and there are no nasties in the house is am MUCH less likely to binge eat....and even then if u only have healthy stuff its not THAT bad :) Hey remember to come online here and chat to us if u need some distraction! :D xx

Return to Weight loss Talk