It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:41 am

Free Newsletter

In search of protein

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

In search of protein

Postby workinprogress » Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:17 pm

Hi All,

I watched Catalyst on the ABC last night and they had an interesting story about research being conducted on locusts in regard to their eating habits and what determines their appetite. They found that the amount of food eaten was determined by a certain protein threshold that they required daily before they were fully satisfied.

Scientists believe that we have the same built in mechanism where we will eat until we have reached the threshold of sufficient protein. So if your diet is high in carbs with little protein then your body with consume more food, thus increasing overall calorie content, to compensate until it gets to the protein level.

It was really interesting and makes sense, protein is vital for building the body into a healthy lean machine.

'When you stop hurting your body, your body will stop hurting you.'

Kristina
workinprogress

Postby Fireball » Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:47 am

Hmm That makes sense. If you feel an urge to eat but then aimlessly snack on anything - maybe it's just not satisfying the need. And we all thought we loved icecream, cakes, chocolate, Chinese food, pizza etc. :lol:

"Unknowingly, we plow the dust of the stars, blown about us by the wind, and drink the universe in a glass of rain."
Ihab Hassan
Fireball

Postby rivenriver » Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:10 pm

I've heard before that you should eat protein to make you full. Like if you're going to have a salad sandwich have some cheese or meat on it too for the protein to fill you up. :)

((((Though I always object to the phrase "scientists believe". It really ought to be "SOME scientists believe". But that's just me being a pedantic science communications student. ;)))))
rivenriver

Return to Weight loss Talk