It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:20 am

Free Newsletter

Why are you overweight?

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Why are you overweight?

Postby Angel » Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:54 pm

Hiya,
I've been reading Dr Phil's book 'The Ultimate Weight Solution' and there was a repeat of how Oprah lost her weight on TV. Both talk about getting some sort of pay off from being overweight.

So it got me thinking, why do I let myself become overweight when I know how miserable it makes me feel.

I came to the conclusion my payoff is the ability to avoid relationships and the hurt that has comes with them. When I'm happy with my weight I attract men, when I'm overweight I repel them. Problem solved!

Does anyone feel like sharing their payoff?
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
Angel

Postby Dolly » Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:52 pm

Yes you are right, whilst I also have a reason to keep men away - I was raped 3 times and bashed by an ex boyfriend who couldn't take being dumped. The guy broke my arm and kept twisting it for 7 hours, he smashed my phone and held a gun to my head and made all sorts of terrifying threats.
I have a life long restraining order against him.
It all happened back in 1987 but I sometimes get panic moments where I fear men and can't talk to them.
Being fat would definately be the ultimate way to not have men ever look my way.
But the real reason I'm fat is because my thyroid gland is dying and eating normal to small amounts of food can still make me gain weight.
I take thyroid pills to replace this hormone but weight loss is almost an impossible battle.
Dolly

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:12 am

I think I have always been on the plump side and used to get teased. over the years I just became "fat" - that's who I was. I'd started to believe that out of all the things I could be, pretty and slim was not one of them. My success could only lie in being smart at school. Kinda like fate and there was nothing I could do about it.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Groovychic » Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:27 pm

Well those are all good answers and I have been sitting here thinking well why do I let myself be larger than I should be. I can't really think of a reason. Only that I love to eat crap food! :oops: I like my chocolate and ice cream and takeaways etc etc. I don't like being the 10 or 15kgs over what I should be but I love food. I am learning very slowly to love healthier food. Which is starting to have an impact I think. I dont need to attract a man as I have one and he says he never minds what size as I am as long as I am happy and don't start whinging at him......hahaha! I must admit I am a happy person most of the time. When I can't fit into my clothes I do have days of depression but nobody knows about that. Except maybe my partner and the kids too I spose cos I get grumpy with them!! :x
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSt8KHJ/]
[/url]

Keep Smiling!!!
Groovychic

Postby Lesley » Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:12 pm

I love food and don't like exercise. When I was slim I loved to walk for miles and miles. Not any more. I think my payoff is an excuse to be lazy and avoid doing things I dislike when I'm in pain. Pain leads to comfort eating and avoiding exercise and other activities, just an excuse really as I know that exercise helps control pain but when in pain boy is it hard to get motivated to do anything.
[/url]

Life is all about choice. Good choices lead to a great life!
Lesley

Postby linda » Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:16 pm

my answer is easy" I LOVE FOOD"
linda

Postby Angel » Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:58 pm

Thanks everyone, reading your thoughts made me realise something else - I don't love food, in fact I'm quite happy eating healthy food, what I realised was that eating unhealthy is my way of punishing myself, it's like my way of saying you don't deserve to be happy here's some food take make you all the fatter so you are miserable.

I'm shocked, I never realised this before but that's exactly what I'm doing. Hmmm, first step is acknowledging problem, next step, is learning how to change.

Thank you to all, for sharing, it has been very helpful,
Angel
[/url]
Angel

Postby frumpy07 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:18 pm

Hmmm I think my reason is that I am too lazy to prepare/ cook food so I go for the easiest option... takeaway foods and chocolate bars! Not good I know.
[/url]

STICKS AND STONES MAY BREAK YOUR BONES, BUT CAKE WON'T HEAL WHAT HURTS YOU.
frumpy07

Postby carleyjt » Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:24 am

My thing like many others is just the fact i love food and i was always ready with an excuse not to do exercise...I still love food now but i choose better alternatives and if i do eat something bad i make it up in extra exercise
url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
carleyjt

Postby dragonfly » Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:18 pm

hmm. yeah its a tough question.
I guess I am lazy, i dont like to exercise, always been bigger than normal, was always the tallest at school, being 178cms and just preferred to not be made a spectical of.
I guess having 2 kids helped add a few kilos, but not all of them.
I think alos because I eat the wrong foods, easy foods, and I have a intolerance to wheat and dairy which makes me agin weight, but I love them foods and still eat them when i know i shouldnt.
karin
mum of 5
loosing by eating low fat, natural, organic and fresh

heaviest weight: 189kg
goal weight: 89kg
currently: 143.5kg
TOTAL LOST: 45.5kg
dragonfly

Return to Weight loss Talk