It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:33 am

Free Newsletter

I need advice please...

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

I need advice please...

Postby blueberries » Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:37 pm

I'm on medication for schizophrenia and one of the side effect's of the medication is weight gain...I haven't gained any weight since I've been on the med and I've been on it for 18 months but I'm having a hard time losing weight...I've just seen my doctor and she has put me on Xenical...have any of u tried this?? Is it worth going on this?? The side effects are horrible if u don't maintain a low fat diet.

Appreciate ya feedback! :D
Start Weight-79.1kg
Current Weight - 69kg
Target Weight- 58kg
Height- 166cm
blueberries

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:53 pm

Never been on Xenical myself, but a few people on here have. Unfortunately most meds for schizophrenia have a list of side effects, not many of them pleasant, so you are doig well just to get the weight gain (I'm a psychology postgrad :roll: )!

From what I think I know of Xenical, it prevents fat absorption so that you basically pass any fat you eat straight through? In this case it's a tool to use if you are having trouble with sticking to a low fat diet, but if you are doing that already I would say that perhaps it might not be for you. I could be telling porkies though - don't know much about weightloss pills and potions since I've been lucky enough to get away with just diet and exercise.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Rustie » Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:13 pm

My sister has been on Xenical and had to stop due to the stool problem that everyone talks about. If you dont dramaticly cut out fat so that your eating near to no fat then you get the side effect of orange runnny poo. Its like an oil slick that you cant stop.
I was going to try it but the thought of that happening put me off!

SW: 80kg
CW: 78.5kg
GW: 60kg
Rustie

Postby blueberries » Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:18 pm

Butterfly_Dawn wrote:Never been on Xenical myself, but a few people on here have. Unfortunately most meds for schizophrenia have a list of side effects, not many of them pleasant, so you are doig well just to get the weight gain (I'm a psychology postgrad :roll: )!

From what I think I know of Xenical, it prevents fat absorption so that you basically pass any fat you eat straight through? In this case it's a tool to use if you are having trouble with sticking to a low fat diet, but if you are doing that already I would say that perhaps it might not be for you. I could be telling porkies though - don't know much about weightloss pills and potions since I've been lucky enough to get away with just diet and exercise.

I have been dieting and exercising too but it aint working for me...I reckon I'm losing fluid and not fat...I'll give Xenical a go after my exams at the end of next month...I have maintained a low fat diet and haven't gained any weight but am not losing any either...the med I'm on called Risperidal Consta hasn't made me fat...I gained weight by overeating :( becos I was in a mental hospital and it made me miserable...I'm just so desperate to lose weight :(
Start Weight-79.1kg
Current Weight - 69kg
Target Weight- 58kg
Height- 166cm
blueberries

Postby blueberries » Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:20 pm

Rustie wrote:My sister has been on Xenical and had to stop due to the stool problem that everyone talks about. If you dont dramaticly cut out fat so that your eating near to no fat then you get the side effect of orange runnny poo. Its like an oil slick that you cant stop.
I was going to try it but the thought of that happening put me off!

I've been told bout the stool issue and it's freaking me out lol!!! but I'm willing to give it a go
Start Weight-79.1kg
Current Weight - 69kg
Target Weight- 58kg
Height- 166cm
blueberries

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:24 pm

if you've already cut out most fats through dieting, the stool issue shouldn't be too much of an issue (thank goodness for the word stool... so much better than other words we could use)

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Mandie » Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:30 pm

As has been said above. :)

If you cut out all fat from your diet, you won't have the problem with the diarrhoea. Xenical acts as like.. negative reinforcement.. like a slap on the hand when you eat something fatty!

Unfortunately it won't stop you overeating or eating lots of sugary foods, so you need to be self disciplined as well :)
Mandie

Postby kate_turner2000 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:00 pm

yeah my sister had the same problems as sam's (rusties) sister, she pooed lots from it! yuck!
kate_turner2000

meds

Postby mimosa8 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:27 pm

Hi im a psychiatric nurse. most antipsychotics cause weight gain due to blocking dopamine receptors, they are not sure for certain if it is increase appetite or decreased metabolism that contributes. Olanzapine and Clozapine are the worst offenders. Risperdal is not as bad and seroquel has the least.

Xenical is a weight loss drug that doesn't act as a stimulant. instead it block fat absorption I think 30%. I have tried it once for a week. It gave me bad diarrhoea.. and scary oil type skidmarks, sense of urgency to go. much worse when you eat fat!! so stay well away from curry.. i know cos Ive been there! lol

Ive seen some patients on clozapine go onto meridia for weight loss.
Talk to your psyche and GP and type in xenical on internet search.
mimosa8

Re: meds

Postby blueberries » Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:47 pm

mimosa8 wrote:Hi im a psychiatric nurse. most antipsychotics cause weight gain due to blocking dopamine receptors, they are not sure for certain if it is increase appetite or decreased metabolism that contributes. Olanzapine and Clozapine are the worst offenders. Risperdal is not as bad and seroquel has the least.

Xenical is a weight loss drug that doesn't act as a stimulant. instead it block fat absorption I think 30%. I have tried it once for a week. It gave me bad diarrhoea.. and scary oil type skidmarks, sense of urgency to go. much worse when you eat fat!! so stay well away from curry.. i know cos Ive been there! lol

Ive seen some patients on clozapine go onto meridia for weight loss.
Talk to your psyche and GP and type in xenical on internet search.

thanks for the tip :D but do u reckon I will lose weight on Xenical while still being on Risperidal especially if Risperidal is causing a blockage??
Start Weight-79.1kg
Current Weight - 69kg
Target Weight- 58kg
Height- 166cm
blueberries

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:57 pm

The Risperdal will change some of the chemicals your brain makes (blocks dopamine receptors, therefore affects levels of the chemical dopamine) but it appears they're not sure how exactly that impacts on weight gain (apart from that it makes you gain some, they're just not sure exactly how it does this - i.e. appetite or metabolism).

SOOOOO the Xenical will still stop the fat being absorbed by your innards during digestion (presuming you are still eating fat in your current diet), regardless of the Risperdal. If the Risperdal is affecting your metabolism this may reduce its effectiveness somewhat since your metabolism of other things you eat will still be sluggish. If it affects your appetite, then the Xenical effectiveness will depend on whether you can control your appetite and not eat heaps of non fatty foods (like lollies).

So in short YES Xenical will still do the job it does (prevent fat absorbtion) but the extent to which this will help you lose weight will depend on some other factors like the amount of fat you currently eat, what else you eat and what your metabolism is like (some of which may be affected by Risperdal ).

or at least that's my understanding of it.

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby blueberries » Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:28 pm

Butterfly_Dawn wrote:The Risperdal will change some of the chemicals your brain makes (blocks dopamine receptors, therefore affects levels of the chemical dopamine) but it appears they're not sure how exactly that impacts on weight gain (apart from that it makes you gain some, they're just not sure exactly how it does this - i.e. appetite or metabolism).

SOOOOO the Xenical will still stop the fat being absorbed by your innards during digestion (presuming you are still eating fat in your current diet), regardless of the Risperdal. If the Risperdal is affecting your metabolism this may reduce its effectiveness somewhat since your metabolism of other things you eat will still be sluggish. If it affects your appetite, then the Xenical effectiveness will depend on whether you can control your appetite and not eat heaps of non fatty foods (like lollies).

So in short YES Xenical will still do the job it does (prevent fat absorbtion) but the extent to which this will help you lose weight will depend on some other factors like the amount of fat you currently eat, what else you eat and what your metabolism is like (some of which may be affected by Risperdal ).

or at least that's my understanding of it.

thanks :D that's a little encouraging...I'll give Xenical a go
Start Weight-79.1kg
Current Weight - 69kg
Target Weight- 58kg
Height- 166cm
blueberries

Return to Weight loss Talk