It is currently Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:15 am

Free Newsletter

Mental Image

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Mental Image

Postby Rustie » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:57 am

I tryed on some old jeans yesterday as I was throwing out a pile of old clothes, and of course they didnt fit. Which got me thinking about my mental image of myself.
I have this image in my head that im alot smaller than i actually am. Bit like being anerexic and thinking that your fat! I know i have put on alot of weight since I had my daughter and then my son but I somehow think that im still small.
Does anyone else feel the same??

SW: 80kg
CW: 78.5kg
GW: 60kg

Postby Mandie » Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:00 am

A lot of the time I do. I think it's because I used to be heaps bigger (around 140kg) and I looked REALLY big, and since losing a lot of it, my face is more defined and I just.. I don't feel like a big fat girl anymore, ya know?

So while it's great, and I have more confidence and stuff, especially with my boyfriend... I do occasionally forget that I *am* obese and I need to lose weight.. it can be tough for motivation sometimes.

Although, if I need a reminder of how unfit I am, I just need to run to an emergency at the hospital - I was following a doctor around who had the "cardiac arrest" page, so when she got paged, I ran to the patient with her - down two flights of stairs, across the walkway, up FOUR flights of stairs.. I ended up arriving about 5 minutes after her and I was panting like anything -SO embarrasing. That's mostly what motivates me to lose weight, not so much how i look..

I think I got OT. Yes, I think I look smaller than I am. :P

Postby Sas » Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:16 am

I feel like that sometimes... till I get a glimpse of myself in a mirror or window. I think cause I'm starting to feel slimmer and fitting my clothes again is what makes me think I'm skinnier than I am.

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:38 am

Yep, when I was bigger I thought I was smaller (and photos were always a shock) and now I'm small, I think I just look the same as I used to. *sigh* I just can't win.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Postby Chelle » Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:49 am

Somtimes I think I'm smaller & then it swapt's to I think i'm bigger that what I'am, like teagen also photo's can be a shock & the honest truth. I watch a show on fox called How to look good naked, & it's tough me a little bit about self image & we protray ourselves 3 - 4 sizes bigger than what we actually are & we tend to cover ourselves & wear bigger size clothes.

Postby shelbel » Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:30 am

Oh yeah i can relate to this one! I feel smaller then i am too

:cry: :evil:
Highest Weight - 93kgs
Current Weight - 68.3kgs
Goal Weight - 65kgs

The wise man Stephen King once said - The only way to go on, is to go on. To say 'i can do this' even when you know you cant

You'll find me in the almost there section :)

Postby HappyBella55 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:41 am

Nope I still see myself as a fatty.

I've lost some weight but not enough to notice a difference. I look at pictures of myself and cringe. I hate how my arms and face look :(

I can't wait till I'm able to fit into my old size 8 jeans. Maybe then I'll start seeing myself as small again instead of a blimp.
Start weight - 77kgs
Goal weight - 53kgs
Current Weight - 50.1kgs

No more weighing, no more scales. My measurement is my success at health. It's an investment I make every single day. My priority: be healthy!

Postby Rustie » Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:48 am

Yeh pics are a horrible reminder of how big you are.
I think maybe i have a wrong self image because i watch to many shows with swim suit models and want to be like them. But i know it will never happen.

SW: 80kg
CW: 78.5kg
GW: 60kg

Postby kate_turner2000 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:17 pm

i always think i am bigger than what i am and i hold a pair of jeans up and think i wont be able to get a leg in those only to slip into them and do them up comfortably

Postby rivenriver » Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:52 pm

I'm really good at dressing nicely so you can't tell I'm as fat as I am. Also I guess I 'carry my weight well' - I'm pretty in proportion. So sometimes I look at myself in the mirror and go 'wow - I look GOOD!'. Problem is, I'm not standing next to anyone. As soon as I do, I realise no - I look good for me, but next to someone else I'm a giant. That's gotta change.

Postby candycane » Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:39 pm

I have no idea! i look at myself sometimes and think i look alright - but then maybe 2 hours later i look at myself and think geez im massive. Then people tell me how i've lost weight and i'm like you kidding? Since when?? and if i try and say something to one of my friends they're like whatever your not fat at all. Dont try take too much off because you'll look like a horse.

But i don't feel comfortable with myself i guess...and i never have! even when i weighed like 75kilos i still thought i was huge until i saw a photo of myself and was like oh i look a lot thinner then i do in the mirror! And then people got worried i wasnt eating LOL (GOOD LUCK!!) i think i'm aiming between 70-75kgs. Currently i'm 88 so it doesnt seem THAT unattainable (i think) i'm 175cm tall so im not a shortie.

I think because i've been overweight for my whole life practically - i constantly see myself in a bad light...does that make sense?

Postby Roar2Life » Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:46 pm

I agree 100% with what butterfly_dawn said...

Yep, when I was bigger I thought I was smaller (and photos were always a shock) and now I'm small, I think I just look the same as I used to. *sigh* I just can't win
In a world full of people only some want to fly...

Postby matchbox » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:22 pm

i'm the same as tegan and roar... now i think i still look the same as when i had the extra 20kg's, but i know i don't cos those clothes are huge for me now, but still, bad self image :(
Have FAITH in yourself

Postby vanessa0305 » Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:56 am

I have problems with this too, when I was fat I didn't even notice, wasn't until some photos from some event came out and I realised how my bigger I was than I thought I was.

Now I see myself as bigger than I am.

Can't win.

Postby Jisgone » Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:08 am

i thought i was smaller when i was bigger,and now im smaller i feel bigger!
i guess cause im aiming for something small, the size i am in comparison is big, where as when i was big i wasnt comparing myself to what i would be like at 70kgs cause i didnt expect to ever get to that

Return to Weight loss Talk