It is currently Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:12 am

Free Newsletter

The "Plateau"

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

The "Plateau"

Postby Sussy » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:55 am

Hi everyone, just wondered what different people do when they reach a 'plateau' with there weight. How do you keep going? Do you decrease your kj's or increase your exercise or both, or just keep doing what your doing and wait for it to start dropping again?

Postby kate_turner2000 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:56 am

i have a meal i dont usually have that is high in calories :P

Postby Mandie » Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:03 pm

Yeah, it's funny, sometimes a high kj day can shake things up a bit and kickstart your metabolism into losing!

best thing is to change it up - maybe eat something a bit different than usual, make sure you're drinking at least 2L water per day, try some different kinds of exercise

and don't worry! we all have plateaus, you'll start going down again soon!

Postby Post baby fat » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:50 pm

Hi, nice to read your thoughts. My name is colleen and I'm new to the site.

My advice is, what type of excersise do you do? Do you go for a walk, do you go on the treadmil, or the cross trainer? maybe try an excerse class? Maybe setup or something. It's a fat burning ecersise. Maybe trying one or two a week might help wake things up. If not it'll make you feel more alive.

Post baby fat

Postby JP1 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:57 pm

Guess everyone has to find something they enjoy and will perservere with, I'm doing low intensity exercise walking about 6km an hour a day but a brisk walk of 4 or 5km an hour is good too for a minimum 30/45 mins 5 or 6 times a week. Hope this helps.

Postby loveat116 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:19 am

Apparantly to break througha plateau you should increase your calories slightly, and increase cardio and resistance training.

It could be that you arent getting enough calories, and your body has adjusted to that.

Mix it up! Best way to break a plateu.
Starting Weight: 62kg Current Weight: 55.0kg Goal Weight: 54kg

Goal Reached 22 February 2008, Must get down to 54kg again!

Postby Sussy » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:44 am

Thanks for your replies everyone, will give them a try. LBF- I do exercise, i walk twice a day (& fortunately or unfortunately we live in a hilly area :) ) and when the weather's bad i go on the treadmill, I also do squats and sit ups. I, like you, have a 3 month old baby and so am a bit limited as to what i can do and when i can do it. I guess i could go to the gym of an evening but when bubby goes to bed at 7pm, pitifully :lol: i'm not far behind him coz he wears me out and i feel so tired by the end of the day...also have to wonder what sort of adventures the night ahead is going to bring. Don't mind the idea of eating a high kj meal,haha, maybe i should organise for hubby to take me out for dinner and eat a great meal. :D
Thanks again everyone. Cheers.

Return to Weight loss Talk