It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:48 am

Free Newsletter

So whats the deal with alcohol?

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

So whats the deal with alcohol?

Postby sunshine » Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:38 pm

Do you all give up alcohol entirely for those of you who indulge? I would like to have say 2 glasses of wine, every Friday night, then maybe I won't binge later! What do you all do?
sunshine

Postby milkyway » Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:51 pm

Hi sunshine - the key for me is all about moderation. I did initially quit drinking for a whole month last Feb as silliness of Christmas spilled into Jan and I was drinking almost every day!

Now I have 2-3 glasses of wine, once or twice per week. The week before last I had a bit of a bender with an old friend and his friends and I was sooo sick afterwards, I felt like such an idiot for getting so damn drunk!

So now I tell myself - it's moderation or it's nothing.

The worst thing about drinking alcohol is that they are just empty calories and contribute nothing of nutritional value to your body.

I think it's better to have a few glasses per week than deprive yourself entirely as you'll be more likely to slip up and overindulge if you don't.

Good luck!
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby JP1 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:02 pm

Apart from the obvious alcohol takes ages to be broken down within your body and during that time the rest of what your body is trying to break down gets stored away (mainly fats) it also weakens your resistance to temptation with regard to what you eat but I agree the key is moderation.

I'm still going to drink etc but just be aware of what I'm going to eat and balance it up calorie wise over the enxt few days.
Highs : 107 Kg (24 Sept 2007) : 113.5 Kg (12 Jan 2014) : 112.5 Kg (26 Jan 2016)
Current :99.2 Kg (31 May 2016)
Lows : 78.4 Kg (20 May 2008) : 87.4 Kg (on 16 Dec in both 2009 & 2010) : 82.9 Kg (14 Apr 2011) : 87.1 Kg (4 Jul 2011) : 90.5 Kg (14 Jul 2014)
Target : 94 Kgs by 15th Jul
JP1

Postby milkyway » Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:04 pm

JP1 wrote:it also weakens your resistance to temptation with regard to what you eat but I agree the key is moderation.

That is such a good point. Ordinarily I don't give hubby's packet of chips a second glance until I've had a glass or two... resistance is futile!!! GIMME CHIPS GIMME CHIPS GIMME CHIPS NOW!!! :oops:
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby lng86 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:49 pm

Alcohol = empty calories.

Try to limit yourself to 2 alcoholic drinks per week. Especially considering (as John has pointed out) that alcohol can lead to temptation!!!

Try adding soda water to wine or having half glasses? You can still feel social and lose weight at the same time!

Best wishes,
Lauren.
To succeed you need to find something to hold on to, something to motivate you, something to inspire you - Myself (Lauren)
lng86

Postby Playboy_bunny » Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:06 pm

Personally I dont drink ever (used to as a kid,, no more :) ) BUT I believe in everything in moderation , so maybe still allow yourself to indulge, just go easy ;) xx
Image•·.·´¯`·.·•Gracie•·.·´¯`·.·•
Playboy_bunny

Postby Schteve » Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:07 pm

I just had sugar free Pulses, they tasted a little odd but had a lot less calories in them. Still gave me a buzz.

Spirits wouldn't have many calories in them would they? It would just be what you mixed them with.

Milkyway wrote:Hi sunshine - the key for me is all about moderation. I did initially quit drinking for a whole month last Feb as silliness of Christmas spilled into Jan and I was drinking almost every day!

Haha New Year did that to me. I got drunk every night for the first week and a bit of this year, and kept drinking a fair bit most of the way through January. Now, I rarely drink, but when I do it is usually a reasonable amount.
Schteve

Postby lng86 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:13 pm

A shot of vodka has approximately 60 calories. You could always mix it will sugar free soft drink. It is a much better option than wine or beer.

However, all alcohol = empty calories!!! Just something to keep in mind. :D
To succeed you need to find something to hold on to, something to motivate you, something to inspire you - Myself (Lauren)
lng86

Postby electrongirl » Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:15 pm

I say if your going to have something, have red wine, it at least has medicinal benefits!!

Just dont have the whole bottle!
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby loveat116 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:17 pm

Alcohol cant be stored as fat, so really it doesnt matter how much you drink.

You just have to watch what you eat when your drunk! Cause you crave fatty foods when your pissed.

I usually mix Vodka with a low joule soda.
Starting Weight: 62kg Current Weight: 55.0kg Goal Weight: 54kg

Goal Reached 22 February 2008, Must get down to 54kg again!
loveat116

Postby candycane » Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:20 pm

Well i don't drink much as a rule, used to party a lot with my mates but can't be bothered anymore, and my family aren't big drinkers but anyway when i drink i stick to manhattons and rusty nails :P (no soda!) LOL okay so alcohol is bad - when you drink all the time basically.

Spirits kill your liver, stomach, kidneys, throat etc (i asked my friend the other day whose a nurse). BUT if you drink alcohol in moderation it's quite alright i think. When your drunk your basically poisoning your body :\

Also as JP pointed out, it just depends on whether you go for temptation after/during - for example i had a few last friday night, my friend on our walk home (exercise!) had maccas and i ignored him and his nuggets and made it back to his place unscathed! But if i had eaten those nuggets they prolly would have taken an express train to my ass because my body was busy trying to process the manhatton/rusty nail/mint julip/green tea thing :) lol.

Drink plenty of water to nourish your body and help flush it out and try to drink organic red wine (because its actually good for you!)

If you are a regular drinker i'd cut down to 2-4 glasses per week of red wine and see how you go from there. If you don't have it regularly i'd just cut it out altogether and only have a glass if you really feel like it.

goodluck
Goal: 65-67 kg <-------Ultimate Goal:
For now? No weighing for a few weeks...
candycane

Postby electrongirl » Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:22 pm

Some info I found on the subject:

Alcohol and weight loss are enemies, but an occasional drink can have a place in a healthy lifestyle. In fact, many experts note the health benefits of consuming a single drink per day, including a reduced risk for hypertension and high blood pressure. If, however, you are exceeding one drink daily, you might be sabotaging your weight loss plans.

Alcohol is metabolized differently than other foods and beverages. Under normal conditions, your body gets its energy from the calories in carbohydrates, fats and proteins that need to be slowly digested in the stomach—but not when alcohol is present. When alcohol is consumed, it gets special privileges and needs no digestion. The alcohol molecules diffuse through the stomach wall as soon as they arrive and can reach the brain and liver in minutes. This reaction is slightly slowed when there is also food in your system, but as soon as the mixed contents enter the small intestine, the alcohol grabs first place and is absorbed quickly. The alcohol then arrives at the liver for processing. The liver places all of its attention on the alcohol. Therefore, the carbohydrates (glucose) and dietary fats are just changed into body fat, waiting to be carried away for permanent fat storage in the body.

Alcohol is a diuretic, meaning that it causes water loss and dehydration. Along with this water loss you lose important minerals, such as magnesium, potassium, calcium and zinc. These minerals are vital to the maintenance of fluid balance, chemical reactions, and muscle contraction and relaxation.

Alcohol contains 7 calories per gram and offers NO nutritional value. It only adds empty calories to your diet. Why not spend your calorie budget on something healthier?

Alcohol affects your body in other negative ways. Drinking might help induce sleep, but the sleep you get isn't very deep. Ultimately, as a result, you get less rest. Alcohol can also increase the amount of acid that your stomach produces, causing your stomach lining to become inflamed. Over time, excessive alcohol use can lead to serious health problems, including stomach ulcers, liver disease, and heart troubles.

Alcohol lowers your inhibitions, which is detrimental to your diet plans. Alcohol actually stimulates your appetite. While you might be full from a comparable amount of calories from food, several drinks might not fill you up. On top of that, research shows that if you drink before or during a meal, both your inhibitions and willpower are reduced. In this state, you are more likely to overeat—especially greasy or fried foods—which can add to your waistline. To avoid this, wait to order that drink until you're done with your meal.

Many foods that accompany drinking (peanuts, pretzels, chips) are salty, which can make you thirsty, encouraging you to drink even more. To avoid overdrinking, sip on a glass of water in between each alcoholic beverage.

Skipping a meal to save your calories for drinks later is a bad idea. Many drinkers know they'll be having some alcohol later, whether going to a bar, party, or just kicking back at home. Knowing that drinking entails extra calories, it may be tempting to "bank" some calories by skipping a meal or two. This is a bad move. If you come to the bar hungry, you are even more likely to munch on the snacks, and drinking on an empty stomach enhances the negative effects of alcohol. If you're planning on drinking later, eat a healthy meal first. You'll feel fuller, which will stop you from overdrinking. If you are worried about a looming night out with friends, include an extra 30 minutes of exercise to balance your calories—instead of skipping a meal.

What are more important, calories or carbs? You might think that drinking liquor is more diet-friendly because it has no carbohydrates, while both wine and beer do contain carbs. But dieters need to watch calories, and liquor only has a few calories less than beer or wine. Plus, it is often mixed with other drinks, adding even more empty calories. Hard liquor contains around 100 calories per shot, so adding a mixer increases calories even more. If you are going to mix liquor with anything, opt for a diet or club soda, instead of fruit juice or regular soda. Sweeter drinks, whether liquor or wine, tend to have more sugar, and therefore more calories. In that respect, dry wines usually have fewer calories than sweet wines.

The list below breaks down the number of calories in typical alcoholic drinks. Compare some of your favorites to make a good choice next time you decide to indulge in a serving of alcohol.

Drink
Serving Size
Calories

Red wine
5 oz.

White wine
5 oz. 100

Champagne
5 oz. 130

Light beer
12 oz. 105

Regular beer
12 oz. 140

Dark beer
12 oz. 170

Cosmopolitan
3 oz. 165

Martini
3 oz. 205

Long Island iced tea
8 oz. 400

Gin & Tonic
8 oz. 175

Rum & Soda
8 oz. 180

Margarita
8 oz. 200

Whiskey Sour
4 oz. 200
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby JP1 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:24 pm

candycane wrote:if i had eaten those nuggets they prolly would have taken an express train to my ass because my body was busy trying to process the manhatton/rusty nail/mint julip/green tea thing :) lol.

that was the funniest thing I read all day
Lows : 78.4 Kg (20 May 2008) : 87.4 Kg (on 16 Dec in both 2009 & 2010) : 82.9 Kg (14 Apr 2011) : 87.1 Kg (4 Jul 2011) : 90.5 Kg (14 Jul 2014)
JP1

Postby candycane » Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:30 pm

haha thanks JP. i got to the green tea thing and i was like heyyyy barrmannn make me sumfing speshhhal! lol i was very proud of my having ignored the nuggets [did anyone get visuals of nuggets on an express train?]. I tried to concentrate on walking straight instead :)
Goal: 65-67 kg <-------Ultimate Goal:
For now? No weighing for a few weeks...
candycane

Postby JP1 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:31 pm

electrongirl wrote:Regular beer
12 oz. 140

Good info there Nikki, let me work this out

140 * 10 * 7 *365 * 25 = lots!, gawd I'm lucky to have stopped at 107 Kg
JP1

Next

Return to Weight loss Talk