It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:16 pm

Free Newsletter

slow metabolism

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

slow metabolism

Postby jojogirl » Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:45 pm

Hi, Im new to the forum today and have intro'd myself but I am wondering...i think I have a slow metabolism so what can I do to try and speed it up?
jojogirl

Postby milkyway » Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:55 pm

Hi jojogirl - can you tell us a bit more about yourself and what kind of exercise you do, avg daily eating plan etc? That will help. (Sorry if you posted this info already in your intro post - I haven't seen it yet... )

Have lots of small healthy meals throughout the day is supposed to be good for your metabolism. One of the worst things you can do is skip meals or starve yourself as that will slow it down further. Start the day with a healthy breakfast and have a healthy mid morning snack etc. Avoid the sugary foods that play havoc with your blood sugar levels and only make you feel full for about 5 mins.

Hight Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) is supposed to be great for boosting your metabolism. Even doing more exercise in general is great as you keep burning energy even after you've stopped exercising.

I think also if you eat a certain amount of calories each day and then one (or two?) days per week, you up the calories, that can also give your metabolism a boost. But do some more research on that one as I'm only going by 3rd hand info.
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby jojogirl » Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:04 pm

Hi Milkyway, I guess I should take more time out to take care of me. I am a shocker when it comes to skipping meals. I know its bad but this is 1 of the things that is going to change. I will definately try the several small meals a day. I dont add sugar to anything and I dont drink tea or coffee.
The exercise is the big thing where I will need help. I have to remind myself it is a friend..lol.
jojogirl

Postby milkyway » Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:07 pm

jojo - you, like so many others here, will probably discover that you actually LOVE exercise. You'll feel better for doing it, you'll feel great about what your body CAN do and you'll get that rush of happy/feel good hormones :)

Start out with something simple - just a ten minute walk around the block to start and slowly build up. You don't have to do 30 mins of exercise at once. Do some pushups, tricep dips, crunches etc. while watching telly of an evening.
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby jojogirl » Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:13 pm

lol....god I hope u are right. Im going to grab hubbie and the kids and the dog and see where we end up tonight. We wont be breaking records lol but we have got to start somewhere. Thanx for your kind advice.
jojogirl

Postby Mandie » Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:35 pm

sandra has given some great advice jojo :)

make sure you drink loads of water, do exercise (and try and get some variety happening there) and eat regularly. NEVER skip breakfast. make sure you get adequate calcium and iron into your diet too :)

if you are worried though, it might be worth seeing your local GP for some blood tests - theres a few conditions that can cause a slow metabolism, and while its not likely you necessarily have one, it can be good just to get it checked out. for example if you have an underactive thyroid, it can be picked up on a simple blood test and cured with regular tablets... so worth knowing about!
Mandie

Return to Weight loss Talk