It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:15 am

Free Newsletter

I'm now totally confused, someone please exxxplain!

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

I'm now totally confused, someone please exxxplain!

Postby sunshine » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:03 pm

So I had my weight programme done today, and my measurements etc as well at the new gym in town. Since I am new to this, I am so confused about what I should be striving or looking for. My instructor said because "muscles weigh more than fat" the loss of kilos on the scales is not as important as the loss of cm around my belly hips, etc. So I shouldn't be looking towards losing heaps of kilos, but making sure my measurements go down. Which I would want anyway of course!! And that the weights will be toning me. Does this seem okay to you guys?

I am doing weights 3 times a week, she did a full body programme, alongside my walking and bike riding, for my cardio. Am I doing the correct thing?

My second query is about eating. Is it correct that you just have to ensure that you burn off the kilojoules you consume in a day. So what would be the recommended intake for me - 40 yr old, fairly new to excercise, around 9 000 kj per day. So I would need to make sure I am eating less than that and doing excercise to burn it off.

Sorry for the long post, as I am quite clueless right now and just want to do this right. Best wishes to you.
sunshine

Re: I'm now totally confused, someone please exxxplain!

Postby help6363 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:15 pm

sunshine wrote:So I had my weight programme done today, and my measurements etc as well at the new gym in town. Since I am new to this, I am so confused about what I should be striving or looking for. My instructor said because "muscles weigh more than fat" the loss of kilos on the scales is not as important as the loss of cm around my belly hips, etc. So I shouldn't be looking towards losing heaps of kilos, but making sure my measurements go down. Which I would want anyway of course!! And that the weights will be toning me. Does this seem okay to you guys?

I am doing weights 3 times a week, she did a full body programme, alongside my walking and bike riding, for my cardio. Am I doing the correct thing?

My second query is about eating. Is it correct that you just have to ensure that you burn off the kilojoules you consume in a day. So what would be the recommended intake for me - 40 yr old, fairly new to excercise, around 9 000 kj per day. So I would need to make sure I am eating less than that and doing excercise to burn it off.

Sorry for the long post, as I am quite clueless right now and just want to do this right. Best wishes to you.

Hello

I am NO expert.......so this is from personal exprience. Weight training is fantastic - well done! The scales (IMO) don't go down as quickly but don't worry they will move. When I first starting doing weights, the scales did not move for five weeks and then they started moving!

Eating? I found all that too confusing - I was given the same information too! It's all so confusing, huh? Hang in there, you will get the hang of it! :D

I followed the calories or kjs listed below......

WOMEN - DAILY INTAKE

Less than 6 kgs to lose
5,250 KJ or 1,250 calories (35g of fat)

Between 6-20kg to lose
6,300 KJ or 1,500 calories (42g of fat)

More than 20kg
7,325 KJ or 1,750 calories (49 g of fat)

1 calorie eqauls 4.19 KJ

Hope that helps!

Have fun at the gym! :D
help6363

Postby JP1 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:16 pm

You will no doubt get a better explanation from the girls but your PT is talking sense.

Search out what your calorie intake (or kilojule) should be from an online calculator then reduce by 500 a day for each half kilo you want to lose per week. 1,000 calorie reduction equals approx one kilo.

Times calories by 4.2 to arrive at kilojules OR divide by 4.2 Kilojules to arrive at calories. Most these calculators are in calories.

Remember to add on food intake (eat more) for any exercise you do but still reduce the overall calorie input depending on what your overall output will be. Have I confused you even more? :wink:
Highs : 107 Kg (24 Sept 2007) : 113.5 Kg (12 Jan 2014) : 112.5 Kg (26 Jan 2016)
Current :99.2 Kg (31 May 2016)
Lows : 78.4 Kg (20 May 2008) : 87.4 Kg (on 16 Dec in both 2009 & 2010) : 82.9 Kg (14 Apr 2011) : 87.1 Kg (4 Jul 2011) : 90.5 Kg (14 Jul 2014)
Target : 94 Kgs by 15th Jul
JP1

Postby SarahC » Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:58 am

I would say that, if you are looking to lose a fair amount of weight, then definitely take notice of what the scales say... the amount of muscle gain won't be near to the amount of fat lost, so you would notice a difference. But as you get very close to your goal, like only a few kgs to go, focus more on the cm's as the change in kg's will be very hard to notice.

Re eating, I have heard a 20% reduction is okay. So, if your expenditure is 9000kJ, then an intake of 7200kJ would be max. Of course, you could lower it further if you want quicker weight loss....
SarahC

Postby yellowroses » Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:57 pm

I haven't even been counting my kj or calories... I don't really want to either...

I have cut out eating dessert after every meal and making sure that I'm having salad and veges at every meal including breakfast when I have grilled tomatoes on toast and oats, I tend to find that if I eat oats a breakfast I don't want to eat as much during the rest of the day because they are low GI, I've also switched to soy milk and soy ice-cream, which has about 1/3 of the fat as regular milk and icecream but still tastes yum!.

I like my 'diet', coz I exercise for an hour a day 5 - 6 times a week and on Friday nights we ALWAYS order pizza, and instead of eating a whole pizza like I used to, I eat about 3 pieces and eat salad with it and have soy ice-cream afterwards! Life in moderation I say not restricting too much!
Goal for 2010: Be at most 99.9kg by 31st December 2010
http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wePqDKj/

Final Goal: 68kgs.
http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wcytIxC/

I'm taking back my life.
Check out my vlog: http://www.youtube.com/yellowroses89
yellowroses

Return to Weight loss Talk