It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:23 am

Free Newsletter

Too much water?

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Too much water?

Postby Sussy » Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:40 pm

Hi, i have a silly question to ask. I only drink water and that's it, no tea, coffee, cordial, soft drink or anything, but because that's all i drink sometimes i can drink 3 litres or more a day (not all at once as i know this can be dangerous). Is there such a thing as drinking too much water? Is the only real bad thing peeing like a racehorse all day :lol: I don't feel affected by it, not bloated or sick, if anything I can sometimes feel thirsty and like I haven't had enough if i only have the usual recommended 2 litres. Maybe I'm just a thirsty person. :roll:
Sussy

Postby Mandie » Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:47 pm

Okay.

Point 1: If you're extra thirsty, and peeing a lot, you should see your doctor for a blood sugar test as that can be a sign of diabetes. If you haven't had a fasting blood sugar checked in the last 6-12 months, that's what I would recommend.

Point 2: Yes, you CAN drink too much water. There's a balance between water and other stuff in the blood and cells (other stuff is the technical term, trust me, I'm a doctor.. :P) and if you drink too much water, too much can go into the cells, causing them to swell and eventually rupture... that's generally bad, particularly when it happens to your brain cells.

However, you have to drink 10s of litres of water a day for that to happen, or have totally non functioning kidneys.

Generally: drink when you're thirsty. You should drink 1-2L per day, every day, more when it's hot and when you exercise. If you want to drink 3-4 litres per day, that's fine, as long as it's spaced out (not like, 3L in a minute!) and you feel good with that.
Mandie

Postby yellowroses » Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:21 pm

Is it possible that you're eating too much salt?
Goal for 2010: Be at most 99.9kg by 31st December 2010
http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wePqDKj/

Final Goal: 68kgs.
http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wcytIxC/

I'm taking back my life.
Check out my vlog: http://www.youtube.com/yellowroses89
yellowroses

Postby apalmer » Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:36 pm

Only in huge portions can water be dangerous (at least I think so).

To take it to the other extreme, I read somewhere today that not drinking enough water can slow your weight loss. Some people don't want to drink water because they think it might increase weight. It doesn't work like that because when you're body is properly hydrated it functions better and hence loses weight quicker. I know that doesn't really answer your question, but it's another thought.. :)
Start Weight-95.4
Current Weight - 94.1kg
Target Weight- 74kg
Height- 181.2cm
My Favourite Way To Lose Weight
apalmer

Postby Sussy » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:35 pm

Thanks everyone, Mandie: i have had a blood sugar test in the last 6 months, because I was pregnant and so had to have one, which was only a few months ago and came back fine.
Yellowroses: I do like salt, but i wouldn't say i have an excessive amount, only really what's in rice crackers and found naturally in breads and pastas, etc.
I think i'm just a thirsty person, i'm fairly active and tend to sweat a bit, so maybe just have the need to replenish my fluids.
To anyone who thinks "Only drinks water???!!!" I used to be a caffeine addict, literally and seriously and before i got pregnant had to wean myself off it. Which was very hard, i had the DT's basically; shaking, trembling, sweating, migraines, sick. I would drink 2 litres or more a day of Pepsi Max easily and i HAD to have it. Now i just don't have anything, and being a new mum i can't have alcohol, or won't, so water it is.
Thanks again for your replies. :D
Sussy

Postby Haylez » Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:10 pm

I was always told that if you're drinking excess water you need to eat more electrolytic foods cos water depletes salts and such.

I know if I drink more than 2 litres a day on a healthy eating plan, I get really sick and end up passing out because my body has no salts. I'd speak to your doctor about it, I guess everyone would be different in how their body handles it.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w3VWsLL/]
[/url]

% Body Fat
Start: 36.3%
Current: 35.4%
Goal: 27%

1st mini Goal: 80kg by christmas
Haylez

Postby scoots » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:10 pm

i drink about 3L of water a day, and have done for years!!! i drink more if i'm exercising or its very hot. I very rarely drink anythign else and if i do its tea, milk or juice. I think that's just my body, have had blood sugar tests a few times and all good.

i think some people are just water people, so to speak, alhtough i have to say i often get weird looks and comments at the amount i drink, even at work, and i'm a nurse :lol:
scoots

Postby rivenriver » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:14 am

It's each to their own, I reckon. Drink the amount you are comfortable drinking, what feels right for you.

According to my Chem Professor, 4L of water all at once (or in a short period of time) will kill most people. It's not as high as most people think. But spread over a day, that amount is probably fine, esp if you feel you need it.
rivenriver

Postby Siana-leah » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:01 am

Pretty much the only thing i drink is water....i dont like the taste of alcohol.....(yeah i know i must be weird!)
The great thing about it is when people think its amazing that my son (almost 3) has no trouble at all drinking water. Its because theres no other option!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wWJeIU2/]
[/url]
Siana-leah

Postby phatcappy » Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:35 pm

rivenriver wrote:
According to my Chem Professor, 4L of water all at once (or in a short period of time) will kill most people. .

there is no way that is right. I wanted to see how much water i could actually drink in a short period of time and i drank 3 1.5 litre bottles of YLC natural sporing water within 20 mins and without peeing. and i didnt even feel sick or anything. but by the end i had to strain to stop myself from peeing my pants.

No way 4 litres will kill most people. im living proof that you can do it.
Start Weight: 109 Kg's

Current Weight: 91.2 Kg's

Mini Goal Weight:90 Kg's

Ultimate Goal Weight: 83 Kg's
phatcappy

Postby phatcappy » Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:37 pm

Siana-leah wrote:Pretty much the only thing i drink is water....i dont like the taste of alcohol.....(yeah i know i must be weird!)
The great thing about it is when people think its amazing that my son (almost 3) has no trouble at all drinking water. Its because theres no other option!

lol who does like the taste of alcohol, beer tastes like crap. Its the effects we're after! lol
Start Weight: 109 Kg's

Current Weight: 91.2 Kg's

Mini Goal Weight:90 Kg's

Ultimate Goal Weight: 83 Kg's
phatcappy

Postby Fiona25 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:33 pm

Remember that thing last year how that woman drunk a heap of water in a short amount of time for a radio contest and died? Anyone know how much she drunk?

I drink 3lts + of water a day and usually a coffee and a tea ontop of that, nothing else really. I love my water! I always have a bottle with me :)
Saying goodbye to calorie counting AND scales for a while.

Just enjoying the new and improved healthy me and embracing my new lifestyle!
Fiona25

Postby Jisgone » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:08 am

i think the lady drank 6 litres and wasnt allowed to pee
what a horrible way to die!
Jisgone

Postby cymbahlee » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:50 pm

If you are breatfeeding you probably drink more water than a nonlactating person.
cymbahlee

Postby NotFatAnymore » Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:30 am

Tooooo much water can be bad... :cry:
NotFatAnymore

Return to Weight loss Talk