It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:51 pm

Free Newsletter

What I find works well

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

What I find works well

Postby Juddy » Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:09 am

From boycotting junk food to the Atkins low-carb diet to a high protein body building diet... the BEST thing I've come across for long-term weightloss were tips by my personal trainer (who is a bodybuilder) for losing weight.

I modified his diet plan because, let's face it, close to 9 meals a day isn't really practical every day. Plus some of what he had included seemed a bit too fiddly for every day.

So this is what I modified it to:

Wake up
1) First meal in the morning - small bowl of rolled oats, add water, microwave and put a little bit of honey on top.

2) Before lunch - I will have a bit of brown rice and some broccoli

3) Lunch - I will have a bit of brown rice, some broccoli, with some chicken breast fillet and/or fried egg (if you eat egg often, remove the yoke because it is high in cholestrol)

4) Afternoon - Brown rice and some broccoli.

5) Late afternoon/early evening - Brown rice, some broccoli and a steak or chicken breast or egg.

6) Late evening - Brown rice and some broccoli.

Very boring huh? Well, I sometimes throw in fish fillets there but usually I just cook a batch of rice/broccoli and chicken and leave it in the fridge for when I need it - this means you have food readily available, and rather than snack on other things because "there's no food" - you have your healthy food in there.

If I'm out and about, and I don't have access to my usual meal - I will have an Up&Go Energise popper. These are high in protein, low in fat and are low GI... if you're trying to lose weight, then low GI foods are quite helpful because you are burning off the food for a longer period of time and are therefore, less hungry for longer :)

I'm also addicted to Milo... it used to be really bad, I've have like several huge scoops of it every day. Now, I fill up a 1/3 cup of it, and put the container back in the cupboard (i.e. don't take it with me to the TV room!) and refuse to have anymore that day.

I must say though, this diet I'm on is great, BUT I wouldn't be making the progress I am if it weren't for the cardio I'm doing. I'm certain if I was back on the Atkins low-carb diet, I'd be much thinner already, but I probably wouldn't have the energy or be feeling as healthy.

Good luck guys :)
Juddy

Postby help6363 » Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:50 am

Hey Juddy

Thanks for the information! That was really interesting to read :D

Can I ask....what type of cardio do you do?

Have a great day!

Cheers

Michelle
help6363

Postby Playboy_bunny » Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:31 am

nevermind a few huge spoons of milo a day, I used to eat a whole (large) can a day :oops: uuuugh grosssss! :D

Thanks for sharing :) My only real concern (other than Id be worried about you losing interest with the same food each meal) is that you havent included any fruit in your plan...(healthy guidelines recomments AT LEAST 2 fruit, 5 veg per day) any reason? :) xx
Image•·.·´¯`·.·•Gracie•·.·´¯`·.·•
Playboy_bunny

Postby Juddy » Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:36 am

Well, I do have a bit of orange and banana.

But the problem I have in my household, is that people tend to destroy food pretty quickly.

It's a good point though, I will make more of an effort to eat fruit now.
Juddy

Postby Juddy » Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:40 am

help6363 wrote:Hey Juddy

Thanks for the information! That was really interesting to read :D

Can I ask....what type of cardio do you do?

Have a great day!

Cheers

Michelle

I do interval running, so I will run for a period of time (say 3 minutes) then walk for that period of time (or even that same distance). I will do this around my suburb (I have a bit of a route going, which I generally stick to but try to mix up occasionally).

I often run up the hills and walk down the other side, just to push myself.

I do this for about an hour every couple of nights, and it works out to be between 8 and 9km.

It is hard work the first few times, but you get used to pushing yourself and can feel the difference in fitness in a couple of weeks.

By "every couple of nights" I mean, I'll run one night, then have the next one off. This helps with recovery - you can go 2 nights off, if you like, just to get into it all.

Good luck!

(Is there no EDIT button on the posts?)
Juddy

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:24 pm

mmm okay now I feel like a nice cold glass of milo and milk. damn you guys, i seem to be craving everything you're talking about :P

wow, you would sure have to have willpower of steel to be able to follow the brown rice & broccoli diet!!! Is there any particular reason you've chosen this diet?? Cos you've admitted that you wouldn't be making as much progress if not for the cardio you do
zeedeveelgirl

Postby Juddy » Sat Nov 17, 2007 3:09 pm

zeedeveelgirl wrote:mmm okay now I feel like a nice cold glass of milo and milk. damn you guys, i seem to be craving everything you're talking about :P

wow, you would sure have to have willpower of steel to be able to follow the brown rice & broccoli diet!!! Is there any particular reason you've chosen this diet?? Cos you've admitted that you wouldn't be making as much progress if not for the cardio you do

Well it's easy to get into the habit of eating this way and with many diets you feel hungry a lot of the time... so you'll change between diets and often give in to luxuries.

I can happily eat my brown rice, broccoli and chicken, and get on with my day.

I often like to put a bit of honey on the rice with soy sauce to keep it interesting.

I chose this diet because it's what my personal trainer recommended I do. Considering he competes in body building competitions and this is what he does to strip off the fat before comps, I was willing to give it a go.... now I've just kept on going with it after a few months.

I would give the low carb diet a go, but I feel this works better. The main reason I had so much success with the low carb diet, was that I was more desperate to lose a large amount of weight... now I'm wanting to get fit and eat healthily... but as we've discovered, I need more fruit (I had some for lunch just a short while ago!) :)
Juddy

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:32 pm

Sounds like it's definitely working for you then! It's important to find something that works for you and stick to it :) Well done!
zeedeveelgirl

Postby milkyway » Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:48 pm

Would you like some broccoli with your brown rice? :P

I couldn't eat the same thing day in day out but if you can and it works for you, go for it!

Does your trainer always eat like this or only pre-competition?
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby Juddy » Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:55 pm

milkyway wrote:Would you like some broccoli with your brown rice? :P

I couldn't eat the same thing day in day out but if you can and it works for you, go for it!

Does your trainer always eat like this or only pre-competition?

Nah he's at the level he can eat what he want and his muscle will burn it off (damn that'd be awesome!)... he usually does this just to slim down for comps.

It's not that bad really. Put a bit of cheese on the broccoli and you're set. Cauliflower is good too. I'm probably going to expand my eating habits soon, I've started cooking to make things taste better :P

Like, the chicken breast fillet would go from just pan fried to pan fried in a small bit of sweet chilli sauce.
Juddy

Postby milkyway » Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:22 pm

Chicken breast with a bit of honey & soy or honey & mustard is also really yummy. I love sweet chilli sauce, too. Mmmm
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby matchbox » Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:28 pm

honey and soy is my fave :D sooo good :) mmm chicken :P lol
Have FAITH in yourself
matchbox

Postby Juddy » Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:05 am

Unfortunately these things contain sugar, but I don't care too much - as long as you don't scull the bottle of sweet chilli sauce, it's not going to be too detrimental.
Juddy

Return to Weight loss Talk