It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:28 am

Free Newsletter

BMI

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

BMI

Postby Juddy » Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:52 am

Hey guys, I was noticing around on the signatures, that a lot of you have the BMI meter.

I'm sure you already know this, but it's more of a general calculation rather than an individual.

What I mean by this is that according to BMI, I'm categorised as being overweight. Where as according to body fat percentage, I'm classified as being in the "fitness" category. This has to do with the amount of muscle I put on when I was focusing on bulking up.

Arnold Schwarzenegger is "overweight" according to BMI.

I'm not saying BMI is bad at all. I'm just saying, if you want slightly more accurate calculations, try looking at body fat percentage scales (just for home monitoring) and if you want to know more exactly, go see your GP or physio etc.

Please don't see this post as me talking down to anyone - I'm just saying this because I'm sure a lot of people here do weights and watch their weight/BMI and get upset because they're not making progress, but they really are!

:)
Juddy

Postby electrongirl » Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:07 pm

Hi!

Yes most of us know this already, its been discussed alot in different threads.

The tickers some of us use just has the BMI there but I think its mainly the weight that we use it for.

Thanks adding your thoughts though!!
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby Juddy » Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:12 pm

Yeah I thought that might be the case!

Good to hear :)

I used to get really worried about BMI, then I had a few good conversations with trainers and dieticians etc.
Juddy

Postby Playboy_bunny » Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:01 pm

yep :) hehe search BMI, this has come up maaaany times :D thanks for sharing anyway! :D xx
Image•·.·´¯`·.·•Gracie•·.·´¯`·.·•
Playboy_bunny

Postby Juddy » Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:58 pm

Argh, I see!

Sorry for being repeatative!
Juddy

Postby Playboy_bunny » Sat Nov 17, 2007 3:00 pm

no problems at all, dont be sorry :D Some newer members might not have known that, so thanks for bringing it up ;) every little tip will help someone along the way ;) xx
Image•·.·´¯`·.·•Gracie•·.·´¯`·.·•
Playboy_bunny

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:32 am

I'm brand new here, and I hadn't heard this so I'm grateful that Juddy posted it! Given I'm trying to get as much resistance work as possible into my fitness regime it's valuable to know that I shouldn't go by the scales alone. Is measuring with a tape-measure as effective in determining your health as the fat percentage scales? I ask because it'll be a lot cheaper buying a tape-measure than a new set of scales!
EvilWombatQueen

Postby Juddy » Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:53 am

EvilWombatQueen wrote:I'm brand new here, and I hadn't heard this so I'm grateful that Juddy posted it! Given I'm trying to get as much resistance work as possible into my fitness regime it's valuable to know that I shouldn't go by the scales alone. Is measuring with a tape-measure as effective in determining your health as the fat percentage scales? I ask because it'll be a lot cheaper buying a tape-measure than a new set of scales!

The scales send an electric pulse through your body, paired with your entered height/gender and the amount you weigh - it works out an approximate amount of fat percentage.

So, they are pretty accurate, and most likely more accurate than any other methods you do yourself.
Juddy

Postby rivenriver » Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:12 am

I think BMI is useful though, especially for people like me who don't do weights. It's a good overall indicator. I think I've said this before, but I like that it makes me realistic. I know I can never weigh 50kg like some people around here, because my bmi would be 15.8. I can't aim for that. I should aim for the healthy range for my height, and bmi is useful as a rough guide.

With tape measures, I think it's used just for one measurement health-wise - if you're over I think about 88cm around the middle, you're at greater risk for health issues (the number changes with gender and ethnicity). Otherwise you can use it to see if you're getting smaller - some people like to go off cm rather than kg.
rivenriver

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:40 pm

Thanks for answering my question RivenRiver and Juddy! I'll definitely start saving for a set of body fat measuring scales.
EvilWombatQueen

Return to Weight loss Talk