It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:49 pm

Free Newsletter

scales dilemma

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

scales dilemma

Postby sunshine » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:16 pm

Hope you all had a great weekend. My question is about scales and weighing yourself. I have digital scales at home, bought from Kmart that only read in .5 of a kg so measures 70, 69.5, 69, 68.5 The scales at the gym are very fancy and expensive! and read in .1 .2 .3 etc. When I weighed myself at home today, from last Wed I had lost 2.5 kilos from 70 to 67.5 and I was thrilled, but the scales at the gym show me down from 69.2 to 68.4, a loss of .8 in 5 days, which sounds more correct.

I was just hoping to lose a bit more but it is better to lose slowly, I know that but would you guys suggest me putting my scales away at home and just using the gym ones? I have been working really hard all week. Is that a good weight loss for 5 days? Cheers to you all.
sunshine

Postby loveat116 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:02 pm

Thats a awesome loss in 5 days! I lose about that much in 3 weeks :(

I would go by one scale and stick to it.

I would love to have a scale that went up by 0.5kg, mine goes by 0.1kg and its just toooo accurate. Weight loss isnt accurate, just make sure your scales are consistent.
Starting Weight: 62kg Current Weight: 55.0kg Goal Weight: 54kg

Goal Reached 22 February 2008, Must get down to 54kg again!
loveat116

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:21 pm

I'd definitely just weigh on the gym scales, they'd be more accurate and probably more expensive too :) Saves confusion and keeps things consistent!
zeedeveelgirl

Postby Mandie » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:32 pm

I posted somewhere else where you asked this.. but I will copy/paste:

You should aim for 500-1kg per week, and realistically you will have weeks when you don't lose, or you lose less, so you will probably average 1-2kg per month. That's the recommended rate of weight loss to improve the chances of you keeping the weight off.

Having said that, it's not all about weight! You should do some measurements as well, because as you gain muscle and lose fat, you may in fact have weeks where you GAIN weight, because muscle weighs more! But it takes up less space, so your measurements will go down. Monthly measurements can be really motivating!

If I were you, I'd weigh in on ONE set of scales.. either gym or at home. Best is fortnightly/monthly, but I know most people have to do it weekly (I'm trying to wean down to fortnightly myself). Also do measurements monthly to check your progress. Best of luck!
Mandie

Postby Sas » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:46 pm

Some of the difference in weight might also be due to the time of day. When you weight yourself at home was it first thing in the morning? If it was you would weight less then than at the gym. Also shoes add a bit fo weight too.

Try to weight yourself at the same time of day and wear the same clothes :)
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wCSA5VJ/]
Sas

Postby sunshine » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:39 pm

Thanks everyone, yes I also thought that losing 2.5 in 5 days was too good to be true he he. But I want it to be consistant so it sticks. I will be more interested in getting my measurements checked in a few weeks too. Cheers
sunshine

Postby chubbywife79 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:15 pm

That was good weight loss for 5 days that take me around 3 weeks to just lose that much. If I were you I choose the home scales.
chubbywife79

Return to Weight loss Talk