It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:14 pm

Free Newsletter

do you think its possible

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

do you think its possible

Postby JL77 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:23 pm

really, to lose weight when your just doing it home by yourself eating the right foods without being a weight loss program?

WW hasnt worked for me so I am thinking of heading back to just watching what I eat and excerising. Even though I HATE excerising :?

What do you think?
JEZ

Starting Weight 20/1/08 ~ 86kg
28/1/08 ~ 85kg
2 /2/08 ~ 84.2
JL77

Postby loveat116 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:26 pm

i think thats the BEST way to keep weight off, instead of being on a fad diet.

I have lost my weight (not a great feat) all by myself, just watching my food and exercising.
Starting Weight: 62kg Current Weight: 55.0kg Goal Weight: 54kg

Goal Reached 22 February 2008, Must get down to 54kg again!
loveat116

Postby electrongirl » Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:41 pm

I lost 20kg a couple of years ago and have no idea how I did it.

I do know that I was happy for the first time in years and was very positive about my life at the time so maybe that helped.
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby Misstoodles » Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:41 pm

It most definately is possible, many of us here are great examples of people who have lost it at home, on their own.

I've found its simply a matter of finding out how many calories you need to be eating to remain healthy yet lose weight, and make sure you eat close to that calorie intake each day.

It's highly recommended that you exercise. You probably know but I'll say it anyway because some people simply dont - It is possible to lose weight with lowering your calorie intake alone- but unless you lower your calories extremely, the weight loss will be slow, because you're not doing anything to contribute to burning calories each day. If you were to lower your calories beyond a healthy amount, the weight loss period will be short, you're likely to be losing muscle and water and only very little fat. Not to mention you dont look any better, you simply look unhealthy.. and for all your efforts, your body is going to want to put the weight it lost back on very quickly! The only way to lose weight with calorie intake alone is very slowly.

Exercise will burn more calories, make you healthier, feel well physically and mentally, and make you _look_better. As much as exercise can bite if you don't enjoy it, it's a lifestyle change you have to make if you want to change how you look for the better. Think of how we ended up overweight to begin with, look at our lives.. it's our habits that need changing, our lifestyle.

The best advice I can give you is to google some calorie intake calculators and have a read on google to find out some information on losing weight through calorie intake and exercise, and to try and find exercise in the things you enjoy. Personally I can't tackle exercise if I don't have music.

Afraid its just one of those things!

Megan
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wFyKFbn/]
[/url]
Misstoodles

Postby matchbox » Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:04 pm

DEFINATELY! it's what i've done and i've lost a tiny bit over 20kg. so it's definately possible! no ww, shakes, or fad diets for me - did it all by myself :) so it does work - like misstoodles said, there's quite a few of us here who have done just that :)
Have FAITH in yourself
matchbox

Postby JL77 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:18 pm

Thanks girls. Be ready for many, many questions lol. I dont know when to start though, tommorrow or after the funeral which will be saturday
JEZ

Starting Weight 20/1/08 ~ 86kg
28/1/08 ~ 85kg
2 /2/08 ~ 84.2
JL77

Postby Juddy » Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:28 pm

Atkins was the only realy fad diet I was on, but I modified it as I began to get a better understanding of what it was actually doing.

The problem with a lot of diets is that people go on them hoping it'll work miracles, and not think into what's actually happening.

I actually bought some Xenical tablets about a year ago. What the tablets do is basically prevent your body from digesting fats... so you crap it out! "Wow miracle drug?!"... no, not exactly...

See, it sort of works, but for myself and others I know who have tried it, it basically SCARES THE CRAP OUT OF YOU (pun totally intended) so that it trains you to avoid fatty foods... You'll be at work, and suddenly need to go to the toilet because you ate food that contained some fat... when you rush to the toilet, it's not the most pretty sight... and you'll probably need to spontaneously do this several times a day.

As I've said before, Atkins really helped me lose weight at one stage because I stuck to it really strictly and exercised a lot. It wasn't the fad diet so much as it was what was going on - I was avoiding carbohydrates and my body was resorting to stored fat deposits... Simple(ish)!

Same with my freak-out diet during the HSC... the bananas were Low-GI so they lasted a few hours, and the eggplant/fried egg didn't really have much in them except nutrients (I guess) and protein, respectively.

Junk food is the devil here. So if you avoid junk food (including dessert at dinner time!) and stick to eating the food as featured on our lovely food pyramid: http://web.mit.edu/athletics/sportsmedi ... yramid.JPG

You'll be fine!

BUT, you must exercise. Walk places. I can't believe the majority of people insist on taking the bus to my uni from the train station. I mean. It's a 15-20 minute walk, but it's a nice walk and it's probably the same duration on the bus due to the traffic!

Walking is really good exercise for burning off fat, apparently, because it's low intensity... When I lost most of my weight, it was because I went for 1-2 hour walks each day. So if you can squeeze that in your day (even if divided up) then you'll be laughing in a few weeks time as you really start noticing the difference.

/long post
Juddy

Postby sharon » Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:33 pm

I hope it's possible as I started today with no set plan in mind. Just the idea to eat when I am hungry and choose something healthy.
sharon

Postby electrongirl » Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:48 pm

What I have found with WW is that you have to be 100% committed to your weightloss journey for it to work.

I know it works, I've seen first hand how good it is. But like you say its not for you. Some people don't like the fact that you have to write everything down and that kind of thing.

I hope you find something that works for you!
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby Mandie » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:20 pm

like everybody has said, there's just got to be a committed lifestyle change. just becuase you aren't on a structured program like WW doesn't mean you can't do it yourself!

set small goals - like i will exercise x times per week for x minutes.. and up it as you go. drink water, eat healthily. keep yourself accountable with a food diary / exercise diary and weigh in fortnightly. these are the best tools to success

best of luck!
Mandie

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:04 am

It worked for me. But different strokes for different folks and all that
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby lng86 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:10 am

I've lost 30kg by myself...

It just takes a bit of self control, a lot of self belief and some exercise!
To succeed you need to find something to hold on to, something to motivate you, something to inspire you - Myself (Lauren)
lng86

Re: do you think its possible

Postby help6363 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:27 am

JL77 wrote:really, to lose weight when your just doing it home by yourself eating the right foods without being a weight loss program?

WW hasnt worked for me so I am thinking of heading back to just watching what I eat and excerising. Even though I HATE excerising :?

What do you think?

I think use whatever approach works for you.....we are all different so different things work for different people.

Oh, I hate exercise too but I drag myself to the gym every night! Hmmm......I do get a good feeling when the class has finished!

Have a great day

Cheers

Michelle
help6363

Postby Sas » Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:46 am

Definitely possible. I don't do any programs and I have lost weight and have lost weight in the past too. I do find that keeping a food diary helps and perhaps find someone that you can exercise with to help motivate yourself. I find if I go with a friend it makes me less likely to back out of going.

Maybe spend the money that you were spending on WW on some exercise classes or getting a personal trainer to write a program for you?
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wCSA5VJ/]
Sas

Postby chubbywife79 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:12 pm

Yes it diffently possible that you can do it by yourself. I reckon you can do it!

I couldn't do it. I need support.
chubbywife79

Next

Return to Weight loss Talk