It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:48 pm

Free Newsletter

any ideas?

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

any ideas?

Postby Serena » Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:03 pm

I'm trying to set myself some realistic goals for weight loss. Ordinarily I would say I could lose about a kilo a week, maybe a little more, for the first few months and then I'd plateau around 95kg and probably only lose 1kg every 2-3 weeks. But i'm just not sure how to compensate for muscle gain in goal setting. Muscle is heavier than fat so I could be losing a kilo of fat a week and gaining a kilo of muscle and my health may be improving but not my weight. Is the muscle-gain-cancelling-out-fat-loss thing only a temporary phase that I'll pass through near the beginning or will I struggle with it all the way to goal? How will I know if I'm on target if I can't measure it and I don't know what to realistically expect? I once had a personal trainer for 12 months, not a cheap exercise as you'd expect, and I absolutely worked my guts out and I lost under 10kg in that whole year. Looking back I can say maybe I wasn't doing the right exercises but I guess I was really relying on my trainer to figure that out and obviously he didn't. Since I'm more in control of my own weight-loss this time I don't want to be expending so much energy and getting so little result for it. I know everyone's body is different and the person who knows my body best is me, but does any one have any ideas on what sort of weight loss targets I should set and what results I can reasonably expect whilst weight training?
Serena

Postby juliejag » Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:24 pm

Hi Serena, I had a personal trainer and she told me that not to worry about how much you weigh, but how you feel. Yes we all need to lose weight but I think we set unrealistic goals for ourselves. My goal is to reach 80kg not 65kg as recommended by who ever made that unbelievably ridiculous goal! If you excercise only 30mins a day, that will make you feel good, and you will look good as well! Dont worry about the kg's, work on the centimetres. :)
juliejag

Postby emma21 » Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:33 pm

I dont know if this is the right approach but I am just working on losing weight and not focusing on building muscle right away. I know through exercise I will build some muscle but its not a main focus point at the moment.. I am finding that my walking dvds and riding my exercise bike are helping me lose weight and once i am near my 'goal' weight I will start to focus on muscle building...

Is that an okay plan of attack?

Emma :)
emma21

Return to Weight loss Talk