It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:30 am

Free Newsletter

Question......please help!

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Question......please help!

Postby help6363 » Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:17 am

Hello

More questions from yours truly! SORRY folks.......

1. I am quitting smoking on Tuesday. If I stick to my diet and exercise do you think I will put on weight? I was going to wait until I reached goal weight to quit smoking but I am really starting to feel the effects of smoking probably something to do with my age (34 years old). I am so scared of putting on weight! Does anyone have any tips? Anyone had any exprience with this?

2. I am really confused about BMI. Can I be underweight, according to BMI and still aim to lose a specific % of body fat? I mean, the scales might move when I reduce % of body fat! Is this making sense? SORRY! I am confusing myself too!

3. Does anyone else struggle with a negative body image and not feel good enough once they are coming close to goal weight? If so, how do you deal with this?

Thanks for the help! Sorry to keep asking so many questions!

Have a great day

Cheers

Michelle :D
help6363

Postby Playboy_bunny » Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:45 am

Hey good on you for deciding to give up the cigarettes :) Its really hard, but its so worth it :)
I gave up smoking last august (15 months ago) after trying to quit for about 2 years on and off, this time I finally did it, it was SO difficult, but I feel great for it ;) As far as weight gain, as long as you keep active, drink water, and dont replace cigarettes with food (as a lot of people do) then you really shouldnt gain anything :) When I quit, I was following a diet program, and I still managed to lose consistently during and after quitting :)
Im not really any help about BMI or the close to goal stuff cos thats still SO far away for me...but Im sure someone will have some good advice ;) take care hun xxx
Image•·.·´¯`·.·•Gracie•·.·´¯`·.·•
Playboy_bunny

Postby loveat116 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:47 am

I wouldn't worry about BMI, its only a guide, not an accurate measurement.

If you still have a high body fat % you should talk it over with a nutritionist, personal trainer or your doctor. Thats how I have been trying to lower mine, and you really need to incorporate weight training.
Starting Weight: 62kg Current Weight: 55.0kg Goal Weight: 54kg

Goal Reached 22 February 2008, Must get down to 54kg again!
loveat116

Postby Mandie » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:47 am

Okay.

1: You will not put on weight if you stick to your diet and exercise regime. The reason why people gain weight when they quit smoking is because they need something to put in their mouth - instead of cigarettes, it's often snack foods! You need to be aware of this, and having some gum/sugar free lollies on hand is a good idea. :) For more tips, call the quitline or check out their website.

2: BMI is not accurate, it is a guide. The BMI is OVERESTIMATED. This means, that because of increased muscle mass, your BMI may say you are overweight when in fact you are healthy. For athletes/body builders, BMI is pretty useless, and they go off body fat percentage to determine how healthy they are.

The BMI scale is most useful for the underweight portion, because it OVERestimates. So, if your BMI is 20 (just on the lowest limit of healthy), but you have a lot of muscle, you are probably actually UNDERweight. If you are underweight according to the BMI, you are definitely UNDERweight and you should not lose any more weight. If you feel you need muscle definition, by all means you should be exercising/doing weights and you should be checking your body fat percentage, but you should NOT be aiming to lose any weight - in fact you should be gaining weight once you start gaining muscle.

It is NEVER healthy to be underweight according to the BMI, but it MAY be healthy to be overweight according to BMI if you have lots of muscle. Make sense?

3. Never got close to goal weight, so I can't really help with this one :)
Mandie

Postby rivenriver » Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:42 am

The way I understand it is that one of the chemicals in cigarettes (possibly nicotine) acts as an appetite suppressant. So people who aren't prepared for that sometimes find that they end up eating more than they normally would, and a few kg (up to about 5) may creep on unnoticed. But I think if you're aware of it and have the strength to pull through being a little hungry, you should be fine. I also think that some of those replacement things like patches or gum also contain the appetite suppressant, so if you're looking to try one of those, maybe it will help. :)

GOOD LUCK!!! Quiting smoking is one of the hardest and best things you will ever do, and your body will love you for it!
rivenriver

Postby chubbywife79 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:29 pm

Good on you for quitting smoking. I know how hard it is. I was lucky to have my husband to quit with me. We did patches at first but they made us both nausaus and then we just went cold turkey. We have quit now for over 2 years now :D . I know you can do it.

I don't know anything about BMI sorry can't help you there.
chubbywife79

Postby Schteve » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:32 pm

Well, losing weight and quitting smoking are both things that will make you healthier. If I were you, I wouldn't try to do too much at once. Focus first on quitting smoking since it is really bad, and if you put on a couple of kilos its ok! You can lose them later, and will probably be able to lose them easier due to easier breathing on your lungs when you exercise.

Good luck with it!
Schteve

Return to Weight loss Talk