It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:25 am

Free Newsletter

has anyone tried reductil

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

has anyone tried reductil

Postby mimosa8 » Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:45 pm

hi has anyone tried reductil.. ?

what results did you have?

and what sort of side effects.?

how long did you stay on them?

was it hard to come off them?
or are you still taking them?

are they expensive?

do they have stimlating properties? raise Blood pressure or cause sexual difficulties like the other SSRI's?

just interested.
mimosa8

Postby Mandie » Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:37 pm

Okay, I've seen some patients on Reductil, so I will try to answer your questions best I can :)

Basically, they are similar to an amphetamine (speed) and like an antidepressant as well. They decrease your appetite. You may experience side effects like trouble sleeping, heart racing, heart palpitations, etc. You might also experience problems with your libido (and erectile difficulties in men).

They are dangerous if you are already taking an antidepressant (an SSRI, like Prozac or Zoloft), and they are dangerous in patients with known high blood pressure - patients on Reductil should have their blood pressure checked every month.

They tend to work for the first few weeks and then as you develop a "tolerance" to them, they don't work as well unless you up the dose.

Coming off the tablets tends to cause a rebound effect of increased appetite, and most people put back on the weight they lost whilst on Reductil. It's best to wean slowly off the tablets to avoid this.

Patients also need education on a healthy diet and need to perform some regular exercise, otherwise they will not maintain their weight without Reductil.

In Australia, Reductil is NOT covered on the PBS. That means that you must pay whatever the pharmacist charges. You can shop around, but a month's supply is usually somewhere over $200-$220. That is a LOT of money for a drug that is questionable in its long term benefits!

In summary - drugs are usually not the answer for weight loss. The best way to lose weight is to make small, sustainable lifestyle changes with healthy eating and regular exercise. Calorie controlled, low fat diets are the way to go. Many people do really well with accountability, such as meetings or chemist weigh-ins or just keeping a food diary at home. Or this forum!

Personally, and having seen a few patients on Reductil, I'd say they were a big waste of money. You'll lose weight to start with, but that will taper off and you will plateau unless you eat healthily and exercise. And once you come off the tablets, you tend to re-gain the weight because you haven't properly learned how to keepa healthy lifestyle and maintain your new weight.

Hope that helped!
Mandie

Postby Post baby fat » Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:29 pm

Hi Speaking from experience...

Yes I have tried reductil.

I was on them for 6 months. in that time I lost 10kg. I was eating poorly and not doing any excersise.

I don't remember them giving me any extra energy however in saying that my house was always spotless so I guess they must have been doing something to my energy levels.

They were about $104.00 per month. Differant chemists sell them at differant prices.

Since stopping reductil I have gained 2 kgs.

I am now eating very well. Counting Kj's, whilst taking note of fat content. studing nutrition and also gyming 4 days a week. Mind you've I've not lost any weight! (I also work 5 days a week and have a 1 yr old. (so I always on the go).

I would love to try reductil again because I am very active now and am eating very well so I think the weight would come off easier.

All tablets effect people in differant ways though so don't let what I've said make any disions for you. I think maybe you should invest the money you were thinking of spending on reductil and go to a nutrtionist or something. This way you'll have info and you'll know what to eat in futre. If you have good will power I suggest doing of them blood test deits. (im thinking like making better use of your money. if you know what you're supposed to be eating then this way you should never have another weight problem to worry about).

Also I found that the reductill took about 3-4 months to work but then the weight was just falling off without me noticing.

And dont worry about what all those people say about taking tablets being the cheaters way. Afterall everyone here wants to loose weight and if you happen to loose your weight buy taking pills then good for you. atleast you'll reach your goal. It would be a great idea though if you learnt how to eat well for fear of gaining the weight once you've finished taking the tablets.

Hope this was useful.
Post baby fat

reductil

Postby mimosa8 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:33 pm

thankyou both for your input :)
mimosa8

Return to Weight loss Talk