It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:44 pm

Free Newsletter

These thoughts came to me when I was running.

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

These thoughts came to me when I was running.

Postby Blobber » Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:00 pm

Sometimes I get these ideas that pop into my head, this is one of those occasions.

Idea: TV is evil

No, do not laugh.
Think about it. This box sitting in the prime position in the living room is steeling your life away from you. How many hours a day do you watch TV? How often do families sit in front of the TV quiet staring at this box? If you cut down on the TV time and use it to instead exercise, spend time with your family or go out, this will enrich your life. This goes for computer games as well. The younger generation is spending hours and hours in front of a screen playing. Would it not be better if they were outside or spending time with their family? Instead of playing martial arts on a computer join a karate club, instead of playing football games go out play soccer with friends etc. I think we have all been indoctrinated to think that it is “Normal to watch 5h+ of TV”.

I’m certainly guilty of being a couch potato at times. I remember when I was young I spend maybe 6h+ watching TV, something that I regret now that I’m older. I try not to watch more than 3 h a day, many days I do not even open the TV. Off course when you are tired it is the easiest thing to do.

So what can I say; turn off your TV’s and spend it with your family or go outside.
Dr. Beldholm
Surgeon in Sydney
Blobber

Postby electrongirl » Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:09 pm

I probably spend about 1 hour a day watching TV and thats my relaxation time.

I hardly get a minute of my own & I aint giving it up!!
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:36 pm

I find the computer much more evil than the telly, personally.

I don't watch television that often, and when I do it actually makes me exercise more because I use the elliptical trainer while I watch. Not so easy on the computer, unfortunately, and I spend a lot more time online than I do watching TV! I need to get a higher computer desk and fit an exercise bike in front of it or something.

I agree that we all need to get out more, though.
EvilWombatQueen

Postby JL77 » Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:41 pm

I agree. I watch way to much tv. Basically the tv is always on even when I am on the pc. So its on for about 5 hours a night...

On the weekends and we are home its basically on all day... as well as the pc's

so both are just as equally evil to me
JEZ

Starting Weight 20/1/08 ~ 86kg
28/1/08 ~ 85kg
2 /2/08 ~ 84.2
JL77

Private time

Postby Blobber » Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:22 pm

hi,
I think private time is important. Relaxing in front of the TV is Ok as long as it is not all evening, every evening.

With computers I only use them for work, don't have the patients to play computer games. I rather go out or excercise.
Dr. Beldholm
Surgeon in Sydney
Blobber

Postby SarahC » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:34 am

I would be lucky to get in half an hour of TV-watching a day! I have it on non-stop while I am home, just for company, I rarely sit down to watch it.

One good thing about TV though, you can watch it while you are doing your excercise :)
SarahC

Postby blueberries » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:52 am

I don't own a telly but I listen to the radio and cds alot
Start Weight-79.1kg
Current Weight - 69kg
Target Weight- 58kg
Height- 166cm
blueberries

Postby Playboy_bunny » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:57 am

hmmm yes I agree mostly...I think it can definately be bad if its excessive....i watch about 3 hours a day (average) I would say...ready steady cook during the day, deal or no deal, the news, sometimes a movie in the evening...I dont think its stealing away my time, I think of it as MY time :) my chance to relax without kids bouncing around! During RSC, we sit on the floor and do lego while its on. I let connor watch sesame street/play school in the morning and again in the afternoon. We go outside etc during the day,so I dont find that an issue. I think its just to each their own really! When I was a kid, I watched HEAPS of tv (movies actually, my sister and I would borrow videos and watch them all day on the weekend or the holidays) we lived out in a very rural area of melbourne, literally in the middle of the bush...theres only so many times you can walk the dog/swim etc.,.....we had nothing around us but grass and gum trees and the river....sounds lovely but I remember it (as a kid) being boring as bat sh*t :) I dont think I 'wasted' my childhood....I think childhood is about doing 'whatever' cos u cant do it once you are an adult! lol sorry got off topic :) xx
Image•·.·´¯`·.·•Gracie•·.·´¯`·.·•
Playboy_bunny

Postby rivenriver » Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:50 am

Actually, I really love sitting down in front of the tv with my family.

It's not too often that there's a show on that we all want to watch, but I really like it when that happens. None of us are terribly polite tv viewers, and we tend to talk the whole way through, making comments about what we see on the tv. We're also one of those families that Gracie mentioned who live in the middle of no where, so as far as spending time together, there are only so many chores or things to build or meals when we're all home. I really like watching tv as a family.

And my favourite thing is watching tv with my sister, because we're both interested in the film industry, and tend to analyse everything as we watch it - look at this camera angle, that's such a great shot, these costumes are great, look at that symbolism, etc etc. It's useful and interesting, and it's a really fun way to spend time with each other.

So yeah, contrary to popular opinion, I would say tv actually brings me closer to my family. It's something much easier to share than a book or something, and it provides really interesting stuff for discussion.
rivenriver

Postby sunshine » Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:33 pm

Yes I agree tv takes you away from more active times. BUT I can't live without my weekly dose of Supernatural :D :D :D . I would give up all tv for the week just to watch the boys!!!
sunshine

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:13 pm

I definitely find that the computer takes more of my time than the TV! I'm like Sarah, I'll have the TV on as background noise and 9 times out of 10 won't be paying attention!

I figure that I do my exercise, I get up and go for my walk at lunch time at work and eat lunch at my desk later, I'm a pretty active person in general so I'm doing pretty alright :)

There's also video games eg Xbox, Playstation etc. My 15 yr old cousin is addicted and I don't think he knows the meaning of the word 'active'!!!!
zeedeveelgirl

Postby electrongirl » Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:51 pm

thats why I like our Nintendo Wii, it actually makes you get up and move! Its so much fun!!
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:59 pm

Ooh yeah Wii is good, and like Eyetoy and stuff!!

One of my friends has a Dance Dance Revolution mat, and he actually plays the game using the controller. He says he uses the game to work on his 'timing' for other games.
I was like "you are completely missing the point of the game!!!!", it's to get up and DANCE, not friggin use your fingers and be lazy!!
zeedeveelgirl

Postby chubbywife79 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:25 pm

I'm like Sarah, I spend to much time on the PC than watching tv. I only have it on as background noise. Hubby watch it more than I do. Mind u I only watch Home and Away and my other fav shows.
chubbywife79

Postby Schteve » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:29 pm

I have 3 shows a week on average that I want to watch, and only watch them, so less than 3 hours a week of tv for me. I just find most of it isn't really worth watching. I watch a fair bit more during footy season though. :)

However, like other the computer is my vice. I spend a lot of time in front of my computer surfing the net and stuff. There probably are better things I could be doing, but it is a decent pastime. And when I want to do other stuff, I find it easy to leave the computer now. I used to feel like I needed it all the time.
Schteve

Return to Weight loss Talk