It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:19 pm

Free Newsletter

i am hung up on my scales!

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

i am hung up on my scales!

Postby sunshine » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:05 pm

So I am going into my 3rd week of my fitness plan. I lost 1.2 kg the first week, and today when I weighed in I have lost in 6 days (can't get to gym tommorrow) only 0.4 kg. I had thought I would have lost more weight as this is what I have been doing, weight programme and treadmill twice last week, and a brisk walk every day for at least 45 mins. I have been eating good, smaller portions, BUT this is where I fell down. Friday and last nights we had functions on, so I had at least 4 alcoholic drinks (vodka and lemon, and malibu and coke zero).

Do you think this may have caused my small loss on the scales? I know not to get hung up over the scales, but I want to reach my first goal, and I am not doing so much weights to add bulk. So I didn't even lose half a kilo last week. Its a bit disapointing, but my clothes are looser, and I feel so much fitter. But the scales thing worries me! Does this mean I am not doing enough exercise :shock: or I need to eat even less :shock: :shock: Any thoughts? Oh I am also on antibiotics for tonsilitis as well.
sunshine

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:23 pm

How hot has it been where you live? I find that I retain a lot of water when it's very hot. I also retain water the week before 'that time of the month'. As long as the numbers are going down, no matter how slowly, and your clothes are fitting better I don't think you should be too worried.
EvilWombatQueen

Postby SarahC » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:46 pm

0.4kgs is a great loss (wish I could lose that much lol), and it's definitely better than a gain!! As you said, your clothes are feeling looser... that is success in it's own right :D

I don't think that 4 drinks would have made that much of a difference. Sounds like you're doing all the right things, so just keep doing what you are doing, and maybe there will be a bigger loss next week! Don't go eating less though, that's not cool. Maybe add some more variety to the excercise if anything, I always find that helps :)
SarahC

Postby soon2bayummymummy » Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:27 pm

ive had to get rid of my scales as i was weighing several times a day, try and weigh only every 2wks, u might of lost more but with muscle gain and depending on what u ate the day befor can affect ur weight the next day. goodluck with ur goal
soon2bayummymummy

Re: i am hung up on my scales!

Postby help6363 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:39 pm

sunshine wrote:So I am going into my 3rd week of my fitness plan. I lost 1.2 kg the first week, and today when I weighed in I have lost in 6 days (can't get to gym tommorrow) only 0.4 kg. I had thought I would have lost more weight as this is what I have been doing, weight programme and treadmill twice last week, and a brisk walk every day for at least 45 mins. I have been eating good, smaller portions, BUT this is where I fell down. Friday and last nights we had functions on, so I had at least 4 alcoholic drinks (vodka and lemon, and malibu and coke zero).

Do you think this may have caused my small loss on the scales? I know not to get hung up over the scales, but I want to reach my first goal, and I am not doing so much weights to add bulk. So I didn't even lose half a kilo last week. Its a bit disapointing, but my clothes are looser, and I feel so much fitter. But the scales thing worries me! Does this mean I am not doing enough exercise :shock: or I need to eat even less :shock: :shock: Any thoughts? Oh I am also on antibiotics for tonsilitis as well.

Well done on your weight loss! :D

It used to stress me too that I only lost 400grams but it's a healthy weight loss, it really is!

You are doing great....Just keep doing what you are doing and try to be patient.......I know it's hard.....Hang in there, you are doing so well! :D
help6363

Postby JP1 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:42 pm

Hey don't worry about it too much, I felt the same way last week after only losing 0.5 Kilo *did exactly the same, no deviations* but this week I lost 1.6 Kilos, your body will drop when its ready unfortunately and if you are doing all the right things, it will! Hope this helps a bit.
Highs : 107 Kg (24 Sept 2007) : 113.5 Kg (12 Jan 2014) : 112.5 Kg (26 Jan 2016)
Current :99.2 Kg (31 May 2016)
Lows : 78.4 Kg (20 May 2008) : 87.4 Kg (on 16 Dec in both 2009 & 2010) : 82.9 Kg (14 Apr 2011) : 87.1 Kg (4 Jul 2011) : 90.5 Kg (14 Jul 2014)
Target : 94 Kgs by 15th Jul
JP1

Scales o horrible scales

Postby Blobber » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:02 pm

Good on you for losing weight.

There is a bit of a science to scales.

The overall progress is what counts. Fluctuations in weight from day to day can be caused be a number of factor that are not related to fat content. Remember that 1 l of water weights app 1kg! Measures such as waist size is much more accurate.

If you do want to weight yourself every day then try to keep the conditions the same. Best time is to weight yourself in the morning before breakfast.
Dr. Beldholm
Surgeon in Sydney
Blobber

Postby Mandie » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:08 pm

What everyone else said :)

Also, you are most likely gaining muscle. As you said, you're not trying to bulk up with weights or anything, and that's fine. Muscle weighs more than fat, so when you build muscle (that's what makes you look toned instead of wobbly), you are still losing cm (that's why your clothes are looser!) but it may not show up as losses on the scales.

It WILL balance out though, and you will continue to lose weight.

Waist measurements are a much better way of monitoring your progress. Don't get too hung up about the number on the scales!
Mandie

Postby scoots » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:43 pm

hey, along with what everyone else has said...

yes, muscle does weigh more than fat so although you may have lost as much fat you could have put on muscle

Also, alcohol has lots of calories so if your intake this week has been quite a lot higher than usual that could also be a contributing factor

that said, 0.4kg is a great loss!!!! its awesome that your numbers are continuing to go down, and as you said your clothes are looser which is always a great indicator that you are headed in the right direction!!! :D
scoots

Postby sunshine » Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:18 pm

Hey everyone thank you for your replies, everything you wrote makes perfect sense. I wish I wasn't so impatient lol, but I understand that slow and steady weight loss is the healthiest. Thanks for your support :D
sunshine

Postby Karnak » Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:44 pm

Eh - scales make stuff up.

I find that times of the day and water consumptions and exercise all move things around. I can weigh myself, then do an hours exercise, not eat or drink and put on 2 kilos (must be the muscles fluffing out).

Think big / total picture over the course of a month and yes waist, hips and bust measurements indicate the most.
Karnak

Return to Weight loss Talk